Sydney retaining star players for less money than other rivals. Good culture or salary cap cheating?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta do what you've gotta do.

Can't all be running HJ's franchises, or "investing" in real estate, sometimes players just need to roll their sleeves up and make a mandatory appearance at a club sponsors event for a large appearance fee.
Exactly, there are so many things that don’t pass the pub test. Simmo actually owns two HJ’s, no wonder they can’t sack him.

The biggest thing that stands out though is not 1 club has breeched the salary cap since the Essendon drug saga, not even an accounting error.

In an industry that is massively competitive, run by people at clubs who are competitive beasts, no one is pushing it too far to even get a small fine. It use to be nearly a yearly breech.

It’s like the AFL have decided to sweep everything under the carpet. A reporter needs to ask the question on how it can be the case?

😂😂

Yeah those millions don't relocate to Sydney to live in the middle of nowhere for an average salary where they could be out of a job and back to Melbourne in 12-24 months.

This is a much more common scenario than you believe it is lol

Why would it?

Do players renting for cheaper in club/member provided housing have to declare it under the soft cap?

If the club isn't spending money(hotel accommodation, paying for the rent themselves, etc), then it's simply someone living in an investment property and not a football expense.
Yeah, I'm guessing such an obvious loophole in the salary cap/soft cap is something the AFL has thought of.

Yeah, I'm guessing such an obvious loophole in the salary cap/soft cap is something the AFL has thought of.
How's it a loophole having someone live in subsidized or free accommodation?

A bit different than Geelong's Costa living allowance(which is apparently completely fine) I'd have thought.

I was making the point that if we want them living by The airport they may as well live on the central coast or Penrith.

Where do you think Penrith is relative to homebush? Homebush is closer to chatswood than Penrith.
That makes no sense, considering I lived 10 minutes away from the airport and wasn't even under the flight path. Inner West/east is close to the CBD and directly under the flight path. Bexley was very easy to get around(other than Sydney being a complete shithole to drive around anywhere , regardless of where you live). Heaps of people commute long distances to work for less money than AFL assistant coaches.

Also, per your comments regarding McVeigh and Cameron:

Cameron got the sack and switched clubs but stayed in Sydney.

McVeigh again, in Sydney.

So it must be such a bad place that assistant coaches decide to stay, despite their apparently meager income.

That makes no sense, considering I lived 10 minutes away from the airport and wasn't even under the flight path. Inner West/east is close to the CBD and directly under the flight path. Bexley was very easy to get around(other than Sydney being a complete shithole to drive around anywhere , regardless of where you live). Heaps of people commute long distances to work for less money than AFL assistant coaches.

Also, per your comments regarding McVeigh and Cameron:

Cameron got the sack and switched clubs but stayed in Sydney.

McVeigh again, in Sydney.

So it must be such a bad place that assistant coaches decide to stay, despite their apparently meager income.
If you have a think for a bit longer the connection might come to you. Come on now you've almost got it..

The McVeigh brothers look like they're living it up in Sydney, if you do a search on them.

Cameron lost his job.

Still have NFI what point you're trying to make.

Shame. Oh well.

How's it a loophole having someone live in subsidized or free accommodation?

A bit different than Geelong's Costa living allowance(which is apparently completely fine) I'd have thought.
Of ffs. Because it's a benefit that the club is providing to the player/coach? Allowing big clubs to provide luxury digs rent-free to players/coaches would undermine the integrity of the salary cap. Obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of ffs. Because it's a benefit that the club is providing to the player/coach? Allowing big clubs to provide luxury digs rent-free to players/coaches would undermine the integrity of the salary cap. Obviously.
Would it?

WCE players live in houses supplied by club/coaches/members/etc.

Clearly it's not an issue.

Would love to see the AFL’s books and find out what classifies as an AFL Ambassador in the Northern States. 😊

To be fair though…Freo have a similar number of hefty long term deals on their books right now. It’s just where they are at in their player’s careers (ie. their prime).

Ok, you have no point. Got it.

I'm not going to spoon feed you fella.

If you can't find the common theme between Leon Cameron and Mark McVeigh being Swans assistants then I can't help you.

I'm not going to spoon feed you fella.

If you can't find the common theme between Leon Cameron and Mark McVeigh being Swans assistants then I can't help you.
One got sacked and didn't want to move to another city.

Kind of makes your point about it being so difficult for AFL staff to live in Sydney invalid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney retaining star players for less money than other rivals. Good culture or salary cap cheating?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back