Player Watch Sam Berry - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

My gut reaction to this is we are not making enough list changes, and Berry was the perfect candidate to trade

I guess if there was zero interest we'd have to delist him. Not sure he is full delist material, but not convinced he's done enough for an extension either.

Controversial take, but I'm a bit disappointed we've re-signed him. I was a fan of him in the past. but he's not the answer to our midfield problems.

Seems like a decent opportunity to move him for a second rounder gone begging.

Not convinced he'll be best 22 in 2 years time.

I would like to see us explore him forward more.

He is deceptively good overhead even though we haven’t seen it much yet and has some power with his leap and speed. Has a decent fend too. Obviously is an elite tackler.

Maybe not as a permanent fixture but until he sorts out this fumbling (this may be more mental than anything, it clearly became an escalating problem late season) his effectiveness in the guts is limited and we’d be better off getting more class in there.

Said this in another thread, but this disappoints me

Clearly Nicks rates him in the top 26 or so players on our list, despite being maybe the most fumble-prone player we’ve had in years, so he’ll get games over guys with higher ceilings, like maybe Taylor and Dowling

Happy for him, but I don’t think this is in our best interests

whole pre season working on getting the ball below his knees to limit the fumbling thanks
Yeah I concur. If he can get that fumble out of his game, he will be a lot more influential. The kids still only 22 too so you’d think there’s plenty more growth in him yet.

I would like to see us explore him forward more.

He is deceptively good overhead even though we haven’t seen it much yet and has some power with his leap and speed. Has a decent fend too. Obviously is an elite tackler.

Maybe not as a permanent fixture but until he sorts out this fumbling (this may be more mental than anything, it clearly became an escalating problem late season) his effectiveness in the guts is limited and we’d be better off getting more class in there.
It actually makes a lot of sense.

His defensive pressure and tackling is elite. We know this.

This year, his eye for goal has improved. I would trust his goalkicking more than Murphy and McHenry.

I don't think he should be taking midfield minutes away from Taylor, Soligo or pick 4 - and Dawson, Rankine and Rachele should also be rotating through there.

If we can convert him to being our defensive forward, then its worth a crack.

Yeah not sure on this one. Great guy but not a massive accumulator and the fumbling doesn't seem to be going away. IWe shouldn't be ever playing both him and Crouch in the same CBA but we've got Nicks who is just mentally incapable of diversifying the midfield properly. I think I'd rather get games into someone like Taylor who is all class...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I concur. If he can get that fumble out of his game, he will be a lot more influential. The kids still only 22 too so you’d think there’s plenty more growth in him yet.
i noticed in the last couple of games it had definitely improved but being able to gather and release quickly like crouch should push him into the 20+ touches a game. he's never going to be a star but there are still workable parts of his game. at least the questions arent about endeavour or work rate.

Somewhat surprised we haven't tried to put him into a hard lockdown type player. His tackling technique is elite and was a strong runner growing up which are two big boxes to tick in that regard. Potentially doesn't have the size to lockdown some of those bigger type midfielders like Bont but guys like Neale would be perfect.

Controversial take, but I'm a bit disappointed we've re-signed him. I was a fan of him in the past. but he's not the answer to our midfield problems.

Seems like a decent opportunity to move him for a second rounder gone begging.

Not convinced he'll be best 22 in 2 years time.
I'd say that was the majority opinion tbh

i noticed in the last couple of games it had definitely improved but being able to gather and release quickly like crouch should push him into the 20+ touches a game. he's never going to be a star but there are still workable parts of his game. at least the questions arent about endeavour or work rate.
He literally had double figure fumbles in the second Port game, was a good part of the reason why we lost

Pretty inoffensive signing
Not an A-grader but not a total dud.

Might have squeezed a good pick out of the Pies but clearly the interest wasn't there.

If Keays can clean up his disposal anyone can! If he can clean up his disposal there's a player there I believe. Still young.
Yeah, if pies/anyone else weren't offering anything for him that we wanted, despite everyone on here thinking we could get a 2nd rounder, then re-signing makes more sense than delisting

My gut reaction to this is we are not making enough list changes, and Berry was the perfect candidate to trade

I guess if there was zero interest we'd have to delist him. Not sure he is full delist material, but not convinced he's done enough for an extension either.
I think the interest must've been minimal, or what was being offered in a trade was no good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Sam Berry - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back