Player Watch Sam Berry - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t remember him fumbling as much as he did in the last few games though?
We've probably noticed it, and payed greater attention ....he's always been a 2 grab player though

I don’t remember him fumbling as much as he did in the last few games though?
The Showdown definitely left a bad taste in a lot of our mouths. Prior to that he was one of those I'd happily give an extra 2 years to. Post Showdown I wanted him gone.

I've calmed since them somewhat to the point that I'm not disappointed in the signing. Needs to show progress though.

Has some real positives so hopefully can get on top of that issue. Do players spend much time on individual remedial work though? This could be a main preseason priority for Berry and Pedlar.
Not sure I'd put it under remedial and I imagine it's on the individual but prior to his leg break, I used to see Tom Mitchell do a lot of grappling, movement and quick touch training in a one on one sense at the Hawks which I was always pretty impressed by.

Again though, I think that was mainly driven from himself since that was stuff he'd be doing solo or with the help one someone on staff.

Well then. This means a couple things:
  • He needs to get better. More of the ball, less fumbles.
  • He needs to squeeze Laird or Crouch out of the team. Don't want all 3 of them in.
Problem is... Crouch is better in all aspects except for maybe goal kicking.

With pick 4 coming in ill be disappointed if we see them all in the same team again. Id pick Crouch before Berry... So I'm not too sure why he didn't seek a trade. Plenty other teams could do with a hard inside player.

He needs to improve a few things especially decision making.. ie do not pass the ball to the obrien...

Don't rate him so disappointed he staying - we needed some draft capital. obviously pies lost interest. Too many fumbles, raygun moves and clanger kicks

Two grabs and poor kick. Very limited footballer. Fits right in at AFC.
So does this mean, Berry is retained & Schoenberg is flicked .....can we keep both?

Berry is probably more flexible ....but with Taylor & Pedlar & pick #4 .....opportunities maybe limited

How many times is that you've said "Ï'm done"?

You keep saying it but here we are...Again.
I just did a quick search, and he had two pages of threads with "I'm done".

Though to be fair, that included being done with David Mackay, Joe Ingles, Women's Tennis and The Bachelor.

I just did a quick search, and he had two pages of threads with "I'm done".

Though to be fair, that included being done with David Mackay, Joe Ingles, Women's Tennis and The Bachelor.
And I think we can agree that we're all done with The Bachelor...

Jeez, I don't know what some people watch sometimes. I'm stoked we've retained him after dicking him around the last two years. I think people might get a surprise next year after another preseason. He's a bull who can work through traffic and can kick goals. Works great both ways. Can take a mark. I guess we will have to wait and see but I like him.
I feel similar. I think that in a season of disappointments, mistakes get magnified and then there is confirmation bias. We take note when a mistake gets made.

He's just above 50 games now. I think with continuity he can develop further. I like his contested work. I like his tackling.

And his DE at 74% and clangers not exceptionally high, I feel his deficiencies have been magnifed on the form to seem like a greater problem than they actually are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez, I don't know what some people watch sometimes. I'm stoked we've retained him after dicking him around the last two years. I think people might get a surprise next year after another preseason. He's a bull who can work through traffic and can kick goals. Works great both ways. Can take a mark. I guess we will have to wait and see but I like him.

Agreed, theres more to like than dislike about Berry - I don't have an issue with this at all tbh.

Problem is... Crouch is better in all aspects except for maybe goal kicking.
The difference between Crouch and Bez is core strength. Berry is far more likely to move through congestion rather than skirt around it or flick the ball backward which is what Crouch does. Berry tends to move the ball forward far more often than Matt, when Matt is playing inside.

It's not the most inspiring contract extension, but I don't hate this. There is a player in there somewhere if we are good enough to draw it out of him. His accumulation is fine if he can get rid of the fumbles, and with the likes of Taylor, Soligo, etc coming through who are all fairly small, we will need someone with his grunt in the stoppages as well.

If worse comes to worse, he's decent depth and it's one list spot for two years. Lord knows we've got plenty of other plodders we can get rid of instead.

He's not really an accumulator though. Zero games with more than 25 disposals (out of 57 games), and his highest in 2024 was 22 touches in the final round. Just three games over 20 touches last year

He's not really an accumulator though. Zero games with more than 25 disposals (out of 57 games), and his highest in 2024 was 22 touches in the final round. Just three games over 20 touches last year

He would have an extra ten touches per game if he didn't fumble so much!

The difference between Crouch and Bez is core strength. Berry is far more likely to move through congestion rather than skirt around it or flick the ball backward which is what Crouch does. Berry tends to move the ball forward far more often than Matt, when Matt is playing inside.
I don’t think people have issue with Berry re-signing rather how we can now recruit players of greater need. I’d rather delist Schoenberg, Strachan, Smith and Laird but we’re stuck with them and a number of list needs to still address.

Don't rate him so disappointed he staying - we needed some draft capital. obviously pies lost interest. Too many fumbles, raygun moves and clanger kicks
Not best 22 once we build the midfield but you have to have these type of players for depth. Probably not much interest from elsewhere, if we can see his deficiencies, other teams sure can.

Comfortable with two years as back up.

At least Berry at age 22 is still young enough to redeem himself. Maybe hire some decent coaches and he looks better, who knows? Crouch and Laird are better players but they're both on the wrong side of 30 by round one 2025. There is no chance of improvement in either of them and we have a really shit record for getting good footy out of our 30+ year olds. Laird is already starting to look like a hack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Sam Berry - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back