carlton09

Club Legend
Jan 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Northern Blues
He is currently stuck in the ressies at Carlton with Warnock and Hampson doing a good job with the absents of Kruezer. I rate big red highly, he deserves a regular AFL gig.. Would Port Adelaide be interested come trade week? What could they offer?

The rucks who exchanged hands in the last trade period were as follows;

* Mark Seaby was traded to Sydney for pick 22.
* Shane Mumford was traded to Sydney for pick 28.
* Darren Jolly was traded to Collingwood for picks 14 & 46.

With that established market and giving consideration to Jacobs' age you'd be looking at our best offer being our second round pick with the likelihood of it being Port Adelaide's third round pick if it's a straight swap of player for draft choice.

I dont understand why Carlton fans are soo keen to move him along if there is so much love for the Big Sauce! Kreuzer to play up forward in 2011, Warnock leading your Ruck Division, Hampson second fiddle, these two haven't really held up regarding injuries, Sauce I feel should be kept for back up, move him on for the 2012 season after you guys have a key forward to replace Kruzer and Kreuzer can become a ruckman!

I know, let me guess, were you think a swap for Salojet?

I would say 2nd rounder and if you want Salojet a direct swap with J Russel will do me :)

Third for me.

Happy with Brogan with Lobbe/Redden/Bass/Trengove at the moment.

Agree, especially if we move to a "two man" bench. I can only see room for 1 ruck with the support of 1 or 2 utility types.

In two years Lobbe or Bass as the main ruck (Redden is too nice for ruck) with support from Westhoff and Trengove to support forward and back.

I'd give a second round pick without hesitation, anyone saying third round is in denial. Lobbe is the only ruckman on our list that can make it, apart from Trengove as a backup, Bass & Redden wont be good enough. As such we will definitely look to trade for a quality ruckman in trade period and Jacobs is a good kid. I would definitely be offering up pick number 31 to 33 for him. I see Davenport, D Motlop & Pettigrew as our main trade bargain chips. However I doubt either of them would be involved in a deal.

If we could pickup a decent midfielder with our pick 12, 14 or 16, then trade in a decent young ruckman with pick 31 to 33, then we'd have to be happy as we would've solved all our lists needs and we could look at just picking the best available kids in the last couple picks we'd have.

However I doubt Carlton would trade off a young ruckman like Jacobs without a bigger price, especially given Kruezer's injury. Unless they see Hampson as ahead of him then we could possibly deal. However I doubt we'd do more than a second rounder.

The talk that we'd even consider Trengove for Jacobs is insane. Trengove could be a future captain of our club and is making fools of all the recruiters who skipped over him in the draft, he is worth far more than Jacobs.

I'd give a second round pick without hesitation, anyone saying third round is in denial. Lobbe is the only ruckman on our list that can make it, apart from Trengove as a backup, Bass & Redden wont be good enough. As such we will definitely look to trade for a quality ruckman in trade period and Jacobs is a good kid. I would definitely be offering up pick number 31 to 33 for him. I see Davenport, D Motlop & Pettigrew as our main trade bargain chips. However I doubt either of them would be involved in a deal.

If we could pickup a decent midfielder with our pick 12, 14 or 16, then trade in a decent young ruckman with pick 31 to 33, then we'd have to be happy as we would've solved all our lists needs and we could look at just picking the best available kids in the last couple picks we'd have.

However I doubt Carlton would trade off a young ruckman like Jacobs without a bigger price, especially given Kruezer's injury. Unless they see Hampson as ahead of him then we could possibly deal. However I doubt we'd do more than a second rounder.

The talk that we'd even consider Trengove for Jacobs is insane. Trengove could be a future captain of our club and is making fools of all the recruiters who skipped over him in the draft, he is worth far more than Jacobs.
I'm interested in reading why you believe Matthew Lobbe is the only ruck on our list "who can make it". I'd be particularly interested in reading your thoughts on your listed players specifically regarding

- physicality,
- positioning in the ruck contest,
- tap work,
- general play linking ability,
- quality of disposal by hand and foot,
- ability to take contested marks (either forward and back),
- aerobic running capacity,
- jumping ability, &
- penchant for snotting ******* Crows supporters in airports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahaha, nice one wapower.

It is interesting to see Carlton fans eager to trade Jacobs away if he is any good; most fans don't want to hock off a young guy that has played only 15 games unless they are suspect or you can see the development ceiling already.

I'm interested in reading why you believe Matthew Lobbe is the only ruck on our list "who can make it". I'd be particularly interested in reading your thoughts on your listed players specifically regarding

- physicality,
- tap work,
- quality of disposal by hand and foot,
- ability to take contested marks (either forward and back),
- aerobic running capacity,
- jumping ability, &
- penchant for snotting ******* Crows supporters in airports.

I have absolutely no idea what point your trying to make. I assume you're talking about Brogan? Who shouldn't be figured into long term planning unless you think he is magically gonna reverse the aging process and play on past next year? Trengove isn't a number 1 ruckman and we all know that, so you cant be talking bout him, so I assume when your talking about :
- tap work,
- quality of disposal by hand and foot
You aren't talking about Bass? Because Bass wouldn't have any of those features down right at the moment. I've watched him play and he is still a huge gamble. There is no guarantee that he'll step up to being good enough to be an SANFL ruck, nor is there any guarantee that he can then step up another level to become a quality AFL ruckman. Then that leaves Redden who looks to have stalled in his development. Lobbe is the only ruck progressively improving and who showed some solid potential in his few games. He may not be a future star but it is clear he is the only ruckman at the moment we can be sure of being competitive at the top level.

So as such my point is anyone not willing to trade a second rounder for Jacobs a very young kid who has proven he has a good future at the elite level has lost perspective on how much pick 31-33 is worth.

One of our draft picks this year will need to be on a ruckman, either our number 1 pick or number 2, so if it can be our number 2 and we get a proven junior out of it then HAPPY DAYS!:)

I have absolutely no idea what point your trying to make. I assume you're talking about Brogan? Who shouldn't be figured into long term planning unless you think he is magically gonna reverse the aging process and play on past next year? Trengove isn't a number 1 ruckman and we all know that, so you cant be talking bout him, so I assume when your talking about :
- tap work,
- quality of disposal by hand and foot
You aren't talking about Bass? Because Bass wouldn't have any of those features down right at the moment. I've watched him play and he is still a huge gamble. There is no guarantee that he'll step up to being good enough to be an SANFL ruck, nor is there any guarantee that he can then step up another level to become a quality AFL ruckman. Then that leaves Redden who looks to have stalled in his development. Lobbe is the only ruck progressively improving and who showed some solid potential in his few games. He may not be a future star but it is clear he is the only ruckman at the moment we can be sure of being competitive at the top level.

So as such my point is anyone not willing to trade a second rounder for Jacobs a very young kid who has proven he has a good future at the elite level has lost perspective on how much pick 31-33 is worth.

One of our draft picks this year will need to be on a ruckman, either our number 1 pick or number 2, so if it can be our number 2 and we get a proven junior out of it then HAPPY DAYS!:)
I wanted to know the specifics as to why you believe nobody on the Port Adelaide list other than Matthew Lobbe in your opinion won't make it as a ruck. It's a very valid point when you make a sweeping statement as such with little reference point as to why you've actually made the comment in the first place.

Jacobs a very young kid who has proven he has a good future at the elite level
1) He's a year older than Lobber, and two years older than Redden.
2) Has he? In 15 games?

EDIT: Lobber was a typo, but I'm inclined now to pretend its a nickname.

1) He's a year older than Lobber, and two years older than Redden.
2) Has he? In 15 games?

EDIT: Lobber was a typo, but I'm inclined now to pretend its a nickname.

Yeah I've watched a fair bit of him, mainly because I cant understand how our recruiters missed him given he was a rookie list selection and we have been desperate for a junior ruckman for years, but IMO he has plenty of potential. He's from the same draft as Lobbe and is a bit ahead of him.

We are going to trade a ruckman this year probably Jacobs or Hampson. with 4 on the list that can play senior footy they're not going to hang around just to play for the Bullants. That's fair enough to. With Kreuzer injured we can temporarily ruck Setanta if we really had to if something went wrong with the other two.

Get in quick as we might trade Hampson back home to the GC for one of their plethora of first round picks. Not sure what the club is thinking but they have made noises that a ruckman will be traded.

I wanted to know the specifics as to why you believe nobody on the Port Adelaide list other than Matthew Lobbe in your opinion won't make it as a ruck. It's a very valid point when you make a sweeping statement as such with little reference point as to why you've actually made the comment in the first place.

Ok I know what your saying, but I'm not going to write a 25 page thesis on all the ruckmen on our list their potential, abilities, attributes and etc.

The post was a summary of my opinion based on what I've seen. It may be a very valid point to get someone to explain in detail why they believe something but I really dont care about detailing their abilities because the KEY FACTOR is that we have no proven rucks on our list and we will need to draft a ruckman in this draft as such if we can get Jacobs for the cost of a pick number 31-33 that'd be a huge bargain and I have no doubt the club would be very keen to take it. Pick 31-33 is a very hit or miss pick in a draft where the GC have already r*ped it of young 17 year olds last year and already have zone selections and such before this draft.

Leading into this draft my opinion has always been we need to recruit a ruckman and quality midfielder with our first two picks in any order depending on their quality so if we can secure Jacobs with 31-33 that's probably a good deal.

We are going to trade a ruckman this year probably Jacobs or Hampson. with 4 on the list that can play senior footy they're not going to hang around just to play for the Bullants. That's fair enough to. With Kreuzer injured we can temporarily ruck Setanta if we really had to if something went wrong with the other two.

Get in quick as we might trade Hampson back home to the GC for one of their plethora of first round picks. Not sure what the club is thinking but they have made noises that a ruckman will be traded.
Given the access to the talented talls/rucks and early picks the Gold Coast would laugh at you trying to pry away a first round pick for a young player who has proven little given what Collingwood offered Sydney for Darren Jolly.

People really do need to stop playing the Gold Coast for fools because they aren't.

As for you Coobk001 I was interested in your opinion as to why our developing rucks won't make it given the performances of highly prized rucks over the last few years. I won't have to much of an issue trading away a pick for a ruck who can come in and perform immediately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Jacobs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back