Sam Jacobs

Remove this Banner Ad

Get in quick as we might trade Hampson back home to the GC for one of their plethora of first round picks. Not sure what the club is thinking but they have made noises that a ruckman will be traded.

As a Carlton supporter, this is why I find your supporters annoying, you guys over value your players ridiculously and beleive it. Who says GC will cough up a first rounder on him?

Yeah I've watched a fair bit of him, mainly because I cant understand how our recruiters missed him given he was a rookie list selection and we have been desperate for a junior ruckman for years, but IMO he has plenty of potential. He's from the same draft as Lobbe and is a bit ahead of him.

LOL... Jaicobs was not drafted as a ruckman... He was a huge Full Back that excelled in one on one marking contest's and with his height and reach, his lack of speed was compensaited in the junior levels but was found out in all of his senior oppertunities. He was a big slow defender, never a ruckman!

LOL... Jaicobs was not drafted as a ruckman... He was a huge Full Back that excelled in one on one marking contest's and with his height and reach, his lack of speed was compensaited in the junior levels but was found out in all of his senior oppertunities. He was a big slow defender, never a ruckman!

Hmmmm, referencing the most reliable source of info in the world.... Wikipedia ;).....

"Jacobs was selected by Carlton with its first-round selection in the 2007 AFL rookie draft (1st pick overall). At only eighteen years old, Jacobs was noted for his size (199cm tall and 101kg) and senior experience, having played as a ruckman at the Woodville-West Torrens in the SANFL, playing as back-up ruckman in 13 senior games in 2006."

So if they were using him as a backman when he was resting fair enough, but he was never a backman, and any recruiter that recruited him for that reason should be sacked.

Hmmmm, referencing the most reliable source of info in the world.... Wikipedia ;).....

"Jacobs was selected by Carlton with its first-round selection in the 2007 AFL rookie draft (1st pick overall). At only eighteen years old, Jacobs was noted for his size (199cm tall and 101kg) and senior experience, having played as a ruckman at the Woodville-West Torrens in the SANFL, playing as back-up ruckman in 13 senior games in 2006."

So if they were using him as a backman when he was resting fair enough, but he was never a backman, and any recruiter that recruited him for that reason should be sacked.

I can garentee he wasn't even the reserves first choice ruckman. I would say that was written up by a Carlton fan who just looked at the stats!

I've seen Bass play 2 or 3 times and he has improved in leaps of bounds.

I think he will make it.

If Jim Stynes, Dean Brogan and Mike Pyke can, surely he can. Given his size, coordination and ridiculously huge tank he could epically fail in terms of kicking action and footy smarts and still be another Setanta O'hAilpin.

I dont know how accurate this is but from Ratten's press conference this week....

Ratten said the pair would be assessed during the week, and hinted at the possibility of either Setanta O’hAilpin or Sam Jacobs returning to the senior fold.

“Last week he [Jacobs] had 66 hit-outs, 30 possessions and kicked 1.5 [in the VFL],” Ratten said.

You are very wrong. I saw Jacobs ruck for WWT in the seniors and the seconds as an 18 year old kid the year before he was drafted.

any talk of trading a 2nd pick for this kid is silly. firstly from a port standpoint because lets face it, we are not in a great rush, unlike the pies and jolly we are not going to be a gf contender that needs to replace crappy josh fraser. we are a young team, we have lots of young rucks we have invested in and there is no use wasting a pick we could use elsewhere. i dont think any other club would be lining up to throw their 2nd round pick at him either.

You are very wrong. I saw Jacobs ruck for WWT in the seniors and the seconds as an 18 year old kid the year before he was drafted.
Rucked against VC in the match where Jacobs and Gibbs played against Grigg. Sauce showed Sandilands like mobility at a centre bounce where he stepped through a tackle or played on after the hit out. We've seen a bit more of that this year after he's worked on his endurance and slimmed down. Jacobs was nearly as big and as unfit as Casboult when he arrived at Carlton.
Given the access to the talented talls/rucks and early picks the Gold Coast would laugh at you trying to pry away a first round pick for a young player who has proven little given what Collingwood offered Sydney for Darren Jolly.
Hampson is contracted, so GC would have to offer up a good pick to pry him loose.

Form has been good considering he hasn't had a pre-season and missed a lot of football this year as well.

Jolly was worth picks 14 and 46 to Collingwood because they are pushing for a flag. I doubt that Carlton, Port or Melbourne's would have traded those picks for a 29 year old ruck. That was arguably overs considering what Sydney paid for Mumford who is 22. Clubs are willing to pay for rucks because they're hard to find and everyone needs one. Cam Wood cost Collingwood pick 14, yet Warnock and Hampson towelled him up this year.

My steepest learning curve: Brett Ratten
When he comes back you'll have four ruckmen on your list.

Maybe.

Subtle. :D

C4 posted that Jacobs will be traded.

A 22 year old ruck who is match ready would be worth a second round pick.

Jacobs was never a key defender. I know you love your SANFL ranga, but I reckon you are barking up the wrong tree with that call. Was always a ruckman, in the SANFL & in the state Under 18s.

The reason he slipped to the rookie draft was because in an age where mobile pacey ruckman are the in thing, and in a draft year where there were mobile pacey ruckmen in droves, he looked every bit a past era dinosaur. Good skills but lacked mobility and had zero pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rucked against VC in the match where Jacobs and Gibbs played against Grigg. Sauce showed Sandilands like mobility at a centre bounce where he stepped through a tackle or played on after the hit out. We've seen a bit more of that this year after he's worked on his endurance and slimmed down. Jacobs was nearly as big and as unfit as Casboult when he arrived at Carlton.

Hampson is contracted, so GC would have to offer up a good pick to pry him loose.

Form has been good considering he hasn't had a pre-season and missed a lot of football this year as well.

Jolly was worth picks 14 and 46 to Collingwood because they are pushing for a flag. I doubt that Carlton, Port or Melbourne's would have traded those picks for a 29 year old ruck. That was arguably overs considering what Sydney paid for Mumford who is 22. Clubs are willing to pay for rucks because they're hard to find and everyone needs one. Cam Wood cost Collingwood pick 14, yet Warnock and Hampson towelled him up this year.

Subtle. :D

You are aware the Gold Coast has the ability to draft young rucks who appear to be better prospects than Sam Jacobs with their 700 draft choices right?

Yeah but apparently its his 15 AFL games that make him highly coveted.

That sounded like your statement that Leigh Westhoff would be our next CHB.

Funnily enough there's already been discussion on this in our Port Board trade thread.

Would definitely give up a second rounder for Jacobs if that's what it took. He's 10 months older than Lobbe but plays like he's about 5 years ahead in development.

P.S. Do not want Hampson. If we can steal Jacobs for a second rounder because Carlton actually rate that spud, we'll be laughing.

hey, does the rest of the AFL know about this?? why even have trade talks if its as standardised as this, so simple. what a coincidence we have a 25 yr old match ready kp , micheal pettigrew. we have too many, just send your 2nd round pick in the mail, cheers.:D

Will be interesting....

He is still under contract, but he wont be at the Blues next year.

Warnock, Hampson and Kruezer are ahead of him and a 4th ruck is not needed.

Considering there were strong rumors of you guys offering a top 10 pick for Hampson last year, I still see a first round pick getting it done.

There is also strong talk of him being traded to the Crows packaged with a pick for Taylor Walker.....

Our club wouldn't give up a first round pick for Jacobs. Second round at best. Given where our club is in it's development phase I doubt our first round draft pick will be involved in anything other than a trade to try and pinch Griffin

Nobody would trade a first round pick for Jacobs.

PooMonkey said:
There is also strong talk of him being traded to the Crows packaged with a pick for Taylor Walker.....

YOU started that talk. It was a ridiculous suggestion then and it's a ridiculous suggestion now.

Nobody would trade a first round pick for Jacobs.

YOU started that talk. It was a ridiculous suggestion then and it's a ridiculous suggestion now.

You may be right, but I suggest that a first rounder will be on offer for his services.

1. He is still under contract, which means the Blues can hold out for the best deal available.

2. Ruckman, especially those that are AFL fit and ready generally command a first/early second round pick.

3. Gold Coast/Port/Crows/Hawks are all looking for an experienced AFL ready ruckmen, and with not many going around his value immediately goes up due to demand.

Realistically, I expect him to be part of a trade for a KPF or we will ask for a first rounder for him (maybe an upgrade on our second rounder).

You may be right, but I suggest that a first rounder will be on offer for his services.

1. He is still under contract, which means the Blues can hold out for the best deal available.

2. Ruckman, especially those that are AFL fit and ready generally command a first/early second round pick.

3. Gold Coast/Port/Crows/Hawks are all looking for an experienced AFL ready ruckmen, and with not many going around his value immediately goes up due to demand.

Realistically, I expect him to be part of a trade for a KPF or we will ask for a first rounder for him (maybe an upgrade on our second rounder).
I'm glad to see that people from every club completely overrate their own players capabilities and their compensation expectations given established market value for senior/established players.

Going into two years of compromised drafts you'd have to be an uber-optimist to expect a first round pick for a largely unknown commodity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Jacobs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back