Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Hawks made the game look really difficult for a number of years with stop, start sideways rubbish and we became really ugly to watch.

Sam has the current group playing like he did, quick movement of the ball, use angles, change direction of play, and take on your kicks through the middle when needed.

It’s great to watch at the moment.

Hawks made the game look really difficult for a number of years with stop, start sideways rubbish and we became really ugly to watch.

Sam has the current group playing like he did, quick movement of the ball, use angles, change direction of play, and take on your kicks through the middle when needed.

Clarko had us playing that slow, tedious brand of football for a few years.

Mitchell heard the anguished cries from (most of) our fans, and has come to deliver us from that evil.

Now we have a team full of quality ball users - Sicily, Scrimshaw, Mackenzie, Amon, Moore, Day, Weddle, Newcombe, Hardwick, MacDonald, Watson, Gunston + Ward, Mitchell, Hustwaite, Morrison as depth.

Correct. It's exactly how he played. And worked wonders.

Very true.

It’s easy to forget just how horrible we were to watch in Clarko last three years at the club.

We have done a 180 under Sam and we are now one of the better teams to watch from a viewing standpoint. Hopefully we get more free to air games next year as recognition for this.

Mitchell heard the anguished cries from (most of) our fans, and has come to deliver us from that evil.

Now we have a team full of quality ball users - Sicily, Scrimshaw, Mackenzie, Amon, Moore, Day, Weddle, Newcombe, Hardwick, MacDonald, Watson, Gunston + Ward, Mitchell, Hustwaite, Morrison as depth.
Where does Hustwaite fit in? Liked what I saw of him last year, is he gonna live to his potential?

It’s feels sometimes that we play like our 3peat side did but we move the ball at pace like that vision shows, not stop start but kick mark run, hitting our player targets with pace and kick to a player that in space, but using a handball to get out into space to take that kick like we did in our premiership years.

Last edited:
It’s feels sometimes that we play like our 3peat side did but we move the ball at pace like that vision shows, not stop start but kick mark run, hit the player targets with pace and kick to a player that in space, like we did in our premiership years.

I agree it feels like our 3peat days, only with the Mitchell twist.

I feel the aim is for every area to be a strength for us in game plan. Then we can switch around which version if the opponent gets the better of us in one area.

Where does Hustwaite fit in? Liked what I saw of him last year, is he gonna live to his potential?

I doubt he'll get enough of a chance to establish himself here, simply because we have too many ahead of him. I think he'll end up moving on - unless of course one of our more senior midfielders moves on.

Apologies a bit scratchy but hope it works 👍

This vision just reminds me how poor Weagles were at defending their forward 50. We got out of our back half so easily for most of the match, it was actually laughable. We would hit 3 passes, and be already on centre wing - Weagles were just so atrocious.

Expect a very different feel this coming weekend, where it is really hard to get it out of the back half. Will be a good test for Mitch's game style. Much, much tighter ground.

Let me ask. Did hawthorn ever play that way in finals? It was a means to an end

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very true.

It’s easy to forget just how horrible we were to watch in Clarko last three years at the club.

We have done a 180 under Sam and we are now one of the better teams to watch from a viewing standpoint. Hopefully we get more free to air games next year as recognition for this.

If the AFL don’t schedule us in for a couple of Thursday or Friday night games next season, those in charge of fixturing should be dismissed.

If the AFL don’t schedule us in for a couple of Thursday or Friday night games next season, those in charge of fixturing should be dismissed.
Agreed

Although I have enjoyed not getting home somewhere around 11.30-12 from games the last few years

Yeah, yeah, yeah, if you keep saying 'the list is no good' it becomes true.

"Who is this Connor McDonald?"

I don't think either of them have looked much past Optus Stadium...

I doubt he'll get enough of a chance to establish himself here, simply because we have too many ahead of him. I think he'll end up moving on - unless of course one of our more senior midfielders moves on.
Could see Hustwaite moving on if our midfield keeps playing like this - he’s ready for senior footy right now IMO but with our midfield playing so well there’s no spots and Ward are prob Finn are on par if not a bit ahead of him in the pecking order…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back