Autopsy Round 13, 2024 : Hawks slay the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee wiz, the Giant's Board is boring.

Part of every great win is meandering over to the oppo's board to read how great we were.. next to nufin'.
There is only so much that 5 supporters can say.

What a win the first match this year I could not sit still at all. It was a genuine arm wrestle two teams with constant pressure all game.

The tackle count on our starting midfielder is so impressive.
Day - 10. Worpel - 8. Nash -7. Nuke -6

The ace of spades - W.Day is in full flight the past month, He is our most important.

The wild card - J.Weddle did we just untap another layer he can play anywhere and looked good pushing fwd late.

Last edited:
The media should be looking at all of Mitchell's coaching moves in this game.
1. Taylor was a non event. Took a few marks but Gunston completely took him out of it as the game wore on
2. GWS are super defensive, and I think that's why Amon and Mass played really deep - so we could rebound without coughing it up.
3. The ruck situation - omfg. Ruckman are overrated until you're running around with out one. Most of the time they nullify each other and you might get a 5-10% bonus in clearances if you have a good ruck. But having NO ruck should leave you very exposed - but we managed that so well.
4. Finding ways to get Worpel and Nash into the game after a quiet first half.
5. GWS completely chocked up the corridor in the first half - we could not go through there at all. I'm not sure what coaching moves were made but all of a sudden we were getting those fast break plays (Impey, CMac, Worpel, Massimo were all good here)

The only thing that really let us down all day was defending the high ball crumb in their forward line. I think GWS took Sicily out of the play and that was a big part of it.

My criticism too. I think many of GWS' goals were so simple and easy for them. We did have problems defending the loose ball and setting up. They virtually walked in some goals from close in without any real pressure.

While we are in the "airing of the grievences" faze of the autopsy thread....

Dear AFL, Yellow and Orange are too close to each other on the color spectrum to ever not be a f@#king jumper clash!

How f#$king hard is it to work out!

Old Man over and out.
There is no yellow at Hawthorn.

That’s premiership Gold.

1. I love nash, day, worpel and newk around the ball. Seriously tough.

2. Day will be recognised comp top 10 gun by next season.

3. Chols worst games was when he was one out as a tall. He is terrific as one of a few.

4. Could the ball have been in better hands than breust? should have been chol but he got out of there quick smart.

5. couple of massive plays by sic late.

6. Loved macdonald backing himself, he is starting to believe he can be a star.

7. i don’t mind kelli!

Gee wiz, the Giant's Board is boring.

Part of every great win is meandering over to the oppo's board to read how great we were.. next to nufin'.

When they made the grand final I swear their lead up thread was a dozen pages or so. Great social media for a non-existant fan base.

Couple of things I noted about players not much discussed in this thread. Scrimshaw did a lot of important things, especially in the first half. Cam McKenzie is fringe, but is a huge step up from last year - a bit more strength is making a lot of difference (its the quality of the fringe that takes you deep in the finals). Other than that, I'm thinking we need to get games into Wiz, even if at the expense of Breust; and happy to leave others at Box Hill till they earn the spot.

This is one of the great posts!

One year we had a post of the year competition and this would be the nomination from this round if it still existed.🤣

As an aside Dermie has previously shown that he's one of the few former player commentators who understands the difference between laconic and lackadaisical and yet today he described Chol as having a laconic bearing.

It was my say it ain't so Joe/ Dermie moment.

To be fair to Derm, Mabs isn't exactly loquacious from what I've heard. Perhaps he's both laconic and (occassionally) lackadaisical. ;)

TBH, I find her commentary is quite good, must be so hard doing it off the screen. The Kid was good too, calls it as he sees it.
really need one of Reeves or Meek to be available against the Tigers, or we have a serious problem.
Yep only saw a bit of the Tiges game on Thursday night but by all reports Nank bullied Adelaide without ROB in the side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rewatching the last quarter and the psyche of this group can’t be undersold.

We seriously believe and want to just keep fighting now.

When Calsh touched that ball on the goal line you can actually see Weddle immediately move through shock, disappointment and then re-focus in an instant, telling himself that “we go again”.

Go have a look at the footage.

It’s actually ****ing pathetic the amount of sooking and whingeing in here about Kelly Underwood as a commentator.

Seriously guys, we just had one of the greatest wins over the last three years and we’ve got pages upon pages of people talking about a ****ing commentator, instead of what our boys did.

Embarrassing.

I’ve just removed a page a half of posts about commentators.

Last edited:
Kane Cornes says Sam Mitchell is ‘the next Chris Scott’. I know he means it as a compliment (and I’d take a couple of premierships, any day!) … but really, couldn’t he pick anyone else?

Norm Smith?
John Kennedy?
David Parkin?
Alistair Clarkson?

1. I love nash, day, worpel and newk around the ball. Seriously tough.

2. Day will be recognised comp top 10 gun by next season.

3. Chols worst games was when he was one out as a tall. He is terrific as one of a few.

4. Could the ball have been in better hands than breust? should have been chol but he got out of there quick smart.

5. couple of massive plays by sic late.

6. Loved macdonald backing himself, he is starting to believe he can be a star.

7. i don’t mind kelli!

Starting to use our running advantage now

When Calsh touched that ball on the goal line you can actually see Weddle immediately move through shock, disappointment and then re-focus in an instant, telling himself that “we go again”.

Yep you can see his brain ticking over, processes it, claps his hands and refocuses immediately. Great attitude and great example of where our head is at in games now.

Major brain fart by Calsher. But he’ll learn. Love how he’s going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13, 2024 : Hawks slay the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back