Autopsy Round 12, 2024: Hawks stone the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s way better for the game. Actually feels like footy again. Can’t stand good tackles not being rewarded
afl will ALWAYS have decisions made we as fans question. But the balance of fairness in the game looked a lot better so ill live with the odd one where. Player isn’t given enough time or too much time as long as the centre is in the right place.

afl will ALWAYS have decisions made we as fans question. But the balance of fairness in the game looked a lot better so ill live with the odd one where. Player isn’t given enough time or too much time as long as the centre is in the right place.
At the end it’s all about consistency. Time will tell.

Some of the HTB's have been outrageous, for example Mitchell's one which lead to their first goal.

There were 50 free kicks in the game. There's just way too much IMO. As if they can't a balance and simply adjudicate it properly, giving players some actual prior opportunity and not pinging them immediately.
But that is on par with games in the 80s, which some say are the "good ol days" (I don't subscribe though).

It didn't feel like it slowed down the game at all.

But that is on par with games in the 80s, which some say are the "good ol days" (I don't subscribe though).

The 80s were so much better than today, it's not even a debate.

I'm not really commenting on the speed of the game, just the unfairness (both ways) of some of these ridiculous HTB calls. As if they cannot find a happy medium.

Players are being punished for doing the hard thing and collecting the ground and contested balls. Far too many players have been pinged as soon as they win the ball.

Last edited:
The 80s were so much better than today, it's not even a debate.

The quality of defensive gameplay/strategy and the players’ aerobic capacity are both off the charts better than he 80’s, IMO, and that makes the game almost completely incomparable. I think the teams of today would run circles around the teams of yesteryear due to those factors. The players aren’t better, but they are way more fit. And the defensive development of football strategy means that the free-flowing offensive mindset of the 80’s would be killed by scores off turnovers.

I actually enjoy the game today more than the 80’s. I think today’s play is more cerebral and team oriented, and I prefer that development, personally.

If ‘88 hawks played todays hawks in ‘88 rules, we would have had 3 2024 fit players remaining on the ground by the end, and about 6 heart attacked in the ‘88 group.
🤣
half way would be around 2000.

Really though, this has been done over and over but

1991 premiers smashed by the unknown Adelaide crows in round 1
Amateur Irish Gaelic players match AFL professionals…but they spend a lot of time debating the rules

It all depends……

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not really commenting on the speed of the game, just the unfairness (both ways) of some of these ridiculous HTB calls. As if they cannot find a happy medium.

Players are being punished for doing the hard thing and collecting the ground and contested balls. Far too many players have been pinged already after being tackled immediately after they won the ball.
I'm with you. Hoping they find a balance. But I did think, in general, that we were much more prepared and were tapping the ball on or taking and passing quicker.

Players will adapt as well and that will speed up the game. Will go from having a stoppage, cause players were happy to get tackled, to having ball movement as they will give away the free.

No that's an argument.
It is the start of the debate. You put forward a position, with no evidence, and then I put up a position, also with no evidence. You could now put up some evidence and then I could counter with some evidence, but it'll end up with us both agreeing to disagree. So no need to really have the actual debate that you denied was even possible in the first place. ;)

Players are being punished for doing the hard thing and collecting the ground and contested balls. Far too many players have been pinged already after being tackled immediately after they won the ball.
HTB decisions it's a perennial argument/discussion/debate. Comparing now to the 80's or even 70's , in those days players were more conditioned to not get caught with the footy...at least make an attempt to get rid of it or tap it on so you sort of maintain control of the footy .... then you can get the blur between HTB or HTM.

Re the 2000's.... the further option is to just take possession , know that you are going to be caught and simply create a stoppage. The prior opportunity has been judged on whether the player makes a second move not so much how long he has possession before being tackled.... therefore players have not been pinged so often for holding the ball....I guess in the interest of allowing the chance for a better disposal of the footy. If they go too far back the other way it may just create a scramble and too many frees.

The quality of defensive gameplay/strategy and the players’ aerobic capacity are both off the charts better than he 80’s, IMO, and that makes the game almost completely incomparable. I think the teams of today would run circles around the teams of yesteryear due to those factors. The players aren’t better, but they are way more fit. And the defensive development of football strategy means that the free-flowing offensive mindset of the 80’s would be killed by scores off turnovers.

I actually enjoy the game today more than the 80’s. I think today’s play is more cerebral and team oriented, and I prefer that development, personally.
I agree, the influences of soccer, basketball and even gridiron can be seen in our game yesterday.

It’s always interesting listening to the media and how they speak depends on whether you’re a media darling or on the outer

Listening to SEN talk about Ginni yesterday was enraging me - they went on and on about how selfish he is, needs to stop with the antics and concentrate on playing football, that he is all about himself - I just don’t get the hate.
It is odd, one of the radio stations (MMM or ABC) gave Ginni the 1 vote

This collection of pressure acts is amazing, it is a whole thread of some 7-8 videos.

This one has Dear in it, there is CMac, Daysy Scrim & more

There was period of play about 5 minutes later on the half forward flank that was the best period of manic pressure I have seen at Hawthorn since Cyril and Puopolo retired

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the new holding the ball 'amendment' like everybody else is.

Jai getting a classic Jai Newcombe handball out to a team mate while being tackled but being pinged for 'taking too long' absolutely infuriated me.

Might take away one of his strengths.

Seamus dead stiff twice yesterday too.
Happened with Fogarty too so it worked both ways. Least those decisions were consistent.

CBA breakdown for the game, out of a max of 31.

For us:
25 - Newcombe
24 - Day
22 - Reeves
21 - Worpel
18 - Nash
9 - Chol
3 - Moore
2 - Mackenzie

And for them:
30 - ROB
21 - Soligo
20 - Crouch
15 - Dawson
12 - Berry, Michalanney
10 - Laird
2 - Rachele
1 - Burgess

Clearances Total and Centre Clearances (midfield group only):
9 | 4 - Newcombe
7 | 4 - Crouch
5 | 4 - Day
5 | 1 - Worpel
4 | 3 - Nash
3 | 3 - Chol, Soligo
3 | 0 - Moore
3 | 2 - Reeves
3 | 1 - Laird
3 | 0 - ROB
1 | 1 - Michalanney
1 | 0 - Dawson, Rachele

We dominated them in the clearances. Only Crouch put up a fight for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 12, 2024: Hawks stone the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back