Autopsy Round 12, 2024: Hawks stone the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Great day at the MCG yesterday, I was in M13, and it got uncomfortably warm! We had to move to the shade - never thought I'd say that in a Melbourne winter.

1. But the sun was bad for the game in the first half: the players had difficulty moving the ball upfield towards the city end.

2. And was that the most turnovers ever in an AFL game? I thought we turned it over many times, often on promising forward moves, but the Crows were so much worse: it was partly to do with our pressure, but the Crows were awful.

3. The game now is all about pressuring the opposition, getting the turnover, then using it well: as soon as you gain possession, the opposition's in your face. I thought we were great on creating turnovers, but there were still plenty of errors.

4. The crowd was mainly Hawks: there were a few hundred Crow supporters - interesting that they expect Melburnians to travel to Adelaide for the stupid "Gather Round" but they won't come here.

5. I don't praise individuals, but Gunston turned back the clock. He was being held and harassed, but still managed to get his goals. it was a great team effort anyway: it was difficult to find anyone who didn't play their part.

Go Hawks!

10 Dylan Moore (HAW)
5 Jack Ginnivan (HAW)
5 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
5 Will Day (HAW)
4 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
1 James Borlase (ADEL)

Interesting that one of the coaches had Scrimshaw 2nd best unless there is another way of doing it

Only possible scenario is Scrimshaw getting 4 votes from 1 coach.

Loved the game on Saturday. All the things that we want to implement as our game style were coming together!

So much good has been said already.

I’ll just add that amongst other things. It’s no surprise we are playing so well now with young DEAR up forward. The KPF with promise that we’ve been crying out for

Some of the HTB's have been outrageous, for example Mitchell's one which lead to their first goal.

There were 50 free kicks in the game. There's just way too much IMO. As if they can't a balance and simply adjudicate it properly, giving players some actual prior opportunity and not pinging them immediately.
There's nothing wrong with 50 frees in a game.
I'd rather them pay the frees consistently both ways (which they did) then eb and flow between what they pay

Jack Scrimshaw post match interview with Talking Hawks

There's nothing wrong with 50 frees in a game.
I'd rather them pay the frees consistently both ways (which they did) then eb and flow between what they pay
Agreed. Nothing wrong with quickly blown frees. I'd rather 50 frees if it keeps the game flowing than have repeated congested stoppages and rolling mauls

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 12, 2024: Hawks stone the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back