Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

I’m getting the sense the Sam and the players of HOKBALL have instigated a new wave of football. A hokball revolution if you will.

The copycats and restructuring of teams in the off season will be interesting. Football clubs are a bit like old wooden ships though and hard to turn if you haven’t built them correctly.

SEN reporting we will have 4 of the top rated backs from this season on our list next season, Sic, Scrimma, Barrass & Battle.

Haha crazy stuff
5 of the Top 15

It’s Key Defenders.
They rated Weddle in there too

Champion Data Key Defender Ratings 2024

1 Collins GC 13.4
2 McGovern WC 12.9
3 Ridley E 12.7
4 Sicily H 12.4
5 Barrass WC 11.7
6 Wilkie SK 11.5
7 Andrews B 11.4
8 Weddle H 11.4
9 Buckley GWS 11.3
10 Moore Co 11.2
11 Battle SK 10.9
12 Weitering Ca 10.9
13 McDonald M 10.3
14 McKay E 10.3
15 Scrimshaw H 10.2

Thanks LukeHodge15 😉

Not that long ago, there was plenty of whining on here about our clubs social media.
The content was limited and pretty poor overall.

Now, the HFC are killing it and have become the clear leaders in this space.

Who within the club gets credit for that?
Anyone know who is behind it?

They are doing an amazing job and no doubt helping create the next generation of Hawk fans.

Andy Gowers and Sam Mitchell both deserve a large amount of credit for this. They both signalled their intentions to improve member engagement and transparency when they stepped into their roles - and they have followed through. It was a clear break from the Clarkson era where the club was extremely closed off from the outside world and members.

For those who listen to some of the Hawthorn fan podcasts around at the moment, you will have noticed a lot more access to interviewing players, coaches and footy department staff in the last couple of years. It has made the rebuild journey much more enjoyable in my opinion.

What’s old is new though, with a few modern twists

People are saying it will be scouted and copied over the summer, but will it if we don't win the flag as it seems the premier is copied more just a finalist, if we don't win it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are saying it will be scouted and copied over the summer, but will it if we don't win the flag as it seems the premier is copied more just a finalist, if we don't win it all.
We have a team of hard two way runners, other teams can try copy it, but unless they already have a similar team make up, it won't do them any good.

We have a team of hard two way runners, other teams can try copy it, but unless they already have a similar team make up, it won't do them any good.
Recall Sam last year I think talking about you can’t copy what Richmond or Cats are doing as they will probably do it better as they’ve done it for longer …… you need to come up with something different. Then other teams need time to develop something to counter what you do well …… as you can’t change things overnight. Something is brewing with our game style, the players we have drafted over the last couple years etc and it’s really starting to come together with the way our players are connecting playing as a team.

Only thing that other coaches and clubs can hope for is that their revolutionary ideas/plans are better than Sam’s

SEN reporting we will have 4 of the top rated backs from this season on our list next season, Sic, Scrimma, Barrass & Battle.

Haha crazy stuff
Crazy, amazing. I’m just curious what it means for the current lot. Frost arguably having his best ever season. Impey too. I guess Hardwick can go forward. Weddle can weave his magic anywhere. And then we have young talents like McCabe and Serong, Seamus, Bailey McDonald, Ryan, DGB etc who will hopefully still be in a position to get game experience. I know there are always injuries and mad depth is a nice problem to have but I’m genuinely curious to hear views on how it will be managed, what we are planning.

Last edited:
Crazy, amazing. I’m just curious what it means for the current lot. Frost arguably having his best ever season. Impey too. I guess Hardwick can go forward. Weddle can weave his magic anywhere. And then we have young talents like McCabe and Serong, Seamus, Bailey McDonald, Ryan, DGB etc who will hopefully still be in a position to get game experience. I know there are always injuries and mad depth is a nice problem to have but I’m genuinely curious to hear views on how it will be managed, what we are planning.
Id like to see Sic get a run as a midfielder / forward hybrid type player on occasion. The more he has the ball in our attacking half the better for us and he has shown a bit when he has played as a midfielder over the years.

Hardwick will get more forward minutes and Weddle will play further up the ground as well.

Will be interesting to see how it all works but I am excited at the prospects of Sicily and Weddle playing more attacking roles.

Another big advantage of Sicily spending time near the middle, is that we'd back him to win virtually any marking contest against opposition mids and he could be valuable providing contest in the pack on the wings after slow transition play.
It would be a bit like when Matthew Richardson played on the wing his last year and dominated.

I find the backline makeup and alignment to game strategy fascinating. If you assume Barrass Battle Sicily Scrimshaw are locks then the other 2 are surely Impey and Amon with Frost bench (good form and can play tall/small) based on this year. Weddle to a wing. 4 elite kicks plus impey a good kick when not skying it and 2 whose job is to defend and pass off safely in Barrass and Frost. All bar Amon can intercept well to excellently. So then the plan must be to intercept and/or push marks wide to increase oppo points and give us kick ins and use precise kicking to release runners like Impey Massimo Weddle CJ to get the ball inside 50 at high speed. Also releases Hardwick to play 3rd forward on a more consistent basis. Going to be fascinating to watch how this all comes together next year!

I had the same thought, not sure of the exact details someone said that Amon won the running at Port every year and yet did he come about 6th in ours?

We must have, relatively speaking, elite run.

It's amazing really that we're an elite kicking side with massive running power. Normally there's a footballer/ athlete trade off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back