Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

As I specified.... REALITY.

Even in your extremely contrived and unlikely scenario, if we still had pick 32 and a bid came for Quaynor at 32 with our 25% discount we'd get a later pick rebate on our 32 that you've conveniently neglected to factor in so it'll cost us at least that pick. There isn't a scenario you can contrive where Murray costs nothing.
I see, and I stand corrected. I actually didn’t know that we got given an extra pick back in that scenario. What pick would we receive?

Last edited:
I see, and I stand corrected. I actually didn’t know that we got given an extra pick back in that scenario. What pick would we receive?

It's your scenario. I'd suggest whatever pick is equal to 25% of the points for pick 32.

It's your scenario. I'd suggest whatever pick is equal to 25% of the points for pick 32.
It's my scenario, but seeing as I obviously don't have a full handle on the rules around this I was looking for some education!

As far as I can see, if the bid came in at 31 as suggested (409 points to match) and we had to use 32 to match (584 points) the remainder is 175. So we'd be given pick 58 (170 points) in return?

Have just been doing some research, and I think that you might be wrong on this one.

It seems that an additional pick worth the value of the surplus points is only given back to the club with the F/S selection, when that club is forced to use multiple picks to match a bid. If a single pick is used to match a bid any surplus points are worthless.

See Jack Bowes example here:
https://www.theroar.com.au/2016/11/...her-son-bidding-work-and-who-will-get-bid-on/

Darcy Moore example here:
http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Father-son-bidding-system.pdf

Will Setterfield example here:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...m/news-story/2336f3c1b618638b6f5637bab62676fd

Have just been doing some research, and I think that you might be wrong on this one.

It seems that an additional pick worth the value of the surplus points is only given back to the club with the F/S selection, when that club is forced to use multiple picks to match a bid. If a single pick is used to match a bid any surplus points are worthless.

See Jack Bowes example here:
https://www.theroar.com.au/2016/11/...her-son-bidding-work-and-who-will-get-bid-on/

Darcy Moore example here:
http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Father-son-bidding-system.pdf

Will Setterfield example here:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...m/news-story/2336f3c1b618638b6f5637bab62676fd

Pretty comfortable I'm right.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-...ed-for-fatherson-and-northern-academy-players

Although it does appear I was wrong in assuming you were right on the 25% and I didn't allow that after a certain pick it's a flat points value rebate.

Pretty comfortable I'm right.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-...ed-for-fatherson-and-northern-academy-players

Although it does appear I was wrong in assuming you were right on the 25% and I didn't allow that after a certain pick it's a flat points value rebate.
I don't see anything in that article that confirms what you are saying, that we would be given an additional pick back if matching a 31 bid with pick 32, or so the hypothetical goes. All it discusses is the Heeney example which is different as the Swans are matching the bid with multiple picks rather than one. Perhaps you can point me to the relevant part?

I also never mentioned anything about 25%, that came from you. In my hypothetical I applied the flat 197 point discount post pick 18 as per the rules.

I don't see anything in that article that confirms what you are saying, that we would be given an additional pick back if matching a 31 bid with pick 32, or so the hypothetical goes. All it discusses is the Heeney example which is different as the Swans are matching the bid with multiple picks rather than one. Perhaps you can point me to the relevant part?

I also never mentioned anything about 25%, that came from you. In my hypothetical I applied the flat 197 point discount post pick 18 as per the rules.

My bad, it was Darky who mentioned the 25%.

It's all there. I stand by my statement, your logic was flawed, there's no way we get Murray for nothing. If come the draft, it works out that we do please feel free to come back and tell me how wrong I was. I'm not expecting you'll be calling.

That's it from me.

My bad, it was Darky who mentioned the 25%.

It's all there. I stand by my statement, your logic was flawed, there's no way we get Murray for nothing. If come the draft, it works out that we do please feel free to come back and tell me how wrong I was. I'm not expecting you'll be calling.

That's it from me.
No worries kind sir, agree to disagree, enjoyed the chat :)

Last edited:
Really excited to see how Sam plays today. Have a feeling the occasion wont bother him too much and he will have a big impact on the result. Always love seeing who the big game players are amongst our young fellas. Lets hope Sam is going to be one of them!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not illogical. It’s a gamble and it might be improbable, but it is possible.

Here’s a scenario in which he comes for free:

Collingwood finish 4th, Sydney finish 13th.

Let’s say we go into the draft having identified we want Quaynor and Kelly as F/S Academy players and are willing to match any and all reasonable bids.
We will have picks:
*Our pick 32 goes to Sydney
41 (from Sydney)

Quaynor is bid on at 31 which has a points value of 606 (409 required to match). We use pick 41 (valued at 412) to match. We draft Quaynor. Kelly is bid on at pick 47, we use 50 to match. We draft Kelly. We then draft whoever with pick 68.

In this scenario, whether on not we had our original 2nd round pick, we still would have had to use our second live pick to draft Quaynor. Being pushed back in the draft by trading down for Murray has in effect cost us nothing, and we have picked up Murray essentially for free.

Feel free to pull me up on anything I might have gotten wrong.

Vey conservative only having us fourth. I'd be looking at second myself!!!

In this scenario, whether on not we had our original 2nd round pick, we still would have had to use our second live pick to draft Quaynor. Being pushed back in the draft by trading down for Murray has in effect cost us nothing, and we have picked up Murray essentially for free.

Feel free to pull me up on anything I might have gotten wrong.

Can't believe I'm getting involved.

Could be wrong, but I think that when you match a bid, any excess points push your next pick upwards. So there is still a cost in using a lesser pick to match, as your next pick doesn't get pushed upwards.

Crowd around everyone.... There's a penis length contest in full swing.
If only we could see them without magnifying glasses

He will be better than Heath Shaw..................

giphy.gif

I've noticed the last 2 weeks, we haven't seen as many daring runs where he takes on 3 or 4 opponents.

I really hope he hasn't been told to rain this in.

Very possible he's attracting more opposition attention now to stop it. Hopefully he discovers a way to bring it back, because I reckon he's the best player in the AFL to watch when he's taking people on

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

I've noticed the last 2 weeks, we haven't seen as many daring runs where he takes on 3 or 4 opponents.

I really hope he hasn't been told to rain this in.

Very possible he's attracting more opposition attention now to stop it. Hopefully he discovers a way to bring it back, because I reckon he's the best player in the AFL to watch when he's taking people on

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

More the latter I'd say. Doubt his flair is being coached out of him

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back