Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Search called off unfortunately.

1710912932221.png
Not sure that 9News knew exactly where the police were searching. The grahic shows Royal Park which I believe is a local footy ground, not Buninyong Bushland Reserve, as reported earlier ???

The 'final ping' thing still seems incongruous with any of the theories going round.

If SM's body was deliberately moved and hidden, then it seems likely her phone would have been turned off or destroyed at Mt Clear. It did not 'keep pinging', or it would have revealed the path taken by the killer with her body, at least initially. The killer is aware enough of the situation to do this, yet they allow one 'final ping' from another location hours later?

Maybe the techos can answer this, but if a phone is switched off and then, say, tossed into a dam or body of water, could the water penetrate the phone and make it 'turn on' long enough to ping a nearby tower?

The 'final ping' thing still seems incongruous with any of the theories going round.

If SM's body was deliberately moved and hidden, then it seems likely her phone would have been turned off or destroyed at Mt Clear. It did not 'keep pinging', or it would have revealed the path taken by the killer with her body, at least initially. The killer is aware enough of the situation to do this, yet they allow one 'final ping' from another location hours later?

Maybe the techos can answer this, but if a phone is switched off and then, say, tossed into a dam or body of water, could the water penetrate the phone and make it 'turn on' long enough to ping a nearby tower?

Not if in water - Pings cannot transmit through water

I found this out today (from expert) watching STS on Youtube – sad case of missing young man, thought to have fallen in river in Nashville

Last edited:
Please explain
If a tower was bouncing signals from multitudes of devices, which maybe somewhat unknown numbers a last signal may not be received until sometime later. Or a dropout in signal but partly has enough packet information to transmit the recalled device later on which shows up in the logs.

If a tower was bouncing signals from multitudes of devices, which maybe somewhat unknown numbers a last signal may not be received until sometime later. Or a dropout in signal but partly has enough packet information to transmit the recalled device later on which shows up in the logs.
Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not if in water - Pings cannot transmit through water

I found this out today (from expert) watching STS on Youtube – sad case of missing young man, thought to have fallen in river in Nashville
If it was turned off and chucked down a mineshaft could it possibly turn itself on? I would think the power button would need to stay pressed for a few seconds?

Just trying to get my head round this random 'final ping'.

Maybe the phone was discarded, someone picked it up, turned it on, then off again quickly after realising whose it was?

Silly me. I thought a ping was a ping. Basically just an acknowledgement of a momentary connection between a device and a tower.

Silly me. I thought a ping was a ping. Basically just an acknowledgement of a momentary connection between a device and a tower.
Apparently He can’t be questioned again, unless he gives permission .
He’s not going to be before the courts until August . Just heard on channel 7 news .
Is this true, can he do that ? Even though there is an active investigation on going

I think it is just a periodic broadcast from the mobile phone of the phone identity. Any nearby towers can receive it.

I don't think the cell tower responds back (I could be wrong about this part), so in this sense it is NOT similar to a sonar ping (reflected) or an ICMP ping (echo request & echo reply).

Last edited:
Apparently He can’t be questioned again, unless he gives permission .
He’s not going to be before the courts until August . Just heard on channel 7 news .
Is this true, can he do that ? Even though there is an active investigation on going

Nothing unusual about that I don't think. He has the right to remain silent. He also has the right to a fair trial.

Just thinking out loud with the murder charge by the cops..

Is there other cases where the accused has confessed to murder but then not told where the body is?

Or if he didn’t confess, then there’d have to be more evidence than just phone pings to be charged with murder I’d have thought? Like a weapon of some sort but even that wouldn’t necessarily identify that she was dead without a body nor confession from him.

What other evidence/scenario would lead them directly to a murder charge? It gives weight to him texting and/or admitting something to a mate. Or he’s opened his mouth while being arrested to admit guilt before getting legal advice to give nothing further.

Is there a reason to treat the final ping with any more seriousness than the hit-and-run theory?

What if the suspect didn’t do it?
The hit run has been dismissed by police.

The final ping if it exists (hasn't been refuted by police) is not consistent with police allegations that SM was killed at Mt Clear. It is circumstantial evidence that she may have been alive later that day in a different location. So police would need to establish how this ping occurred, otherwise there is reasonable doubt that she was murdered at Mt Clear.
If the ping doesn't exist, they don't have this problem - they can allege that the accused disabled SMs phone when he killed her.

Victoria Police have called off their search of bushland south of Ballarat for the body of missing Victorian woman Samantha Murphy.

Investigators said they were focusing on the Buninyong Bushland Reserve based on "intelligence derived from a number of sources".

But authorities wrapped up the search shortly after 2pm, and said Ms Murphy's body had not been located.

It was sadly a quick wrap up

Not sure that 9News knew exactly where the police were searching. The grahic shows Royal Park which I believe is a local footy ground, not Buninyong Bushland Reserve, as reported earlier ???

It looked to me on one of the brief videos that the rendezvous point where all the police vehicles parked was a footy ground, and it was said to be some distance from the search area.

Generally no.

A Court case for an individual charge is a stand alone matter. the prosecution presents their evidence and the defence tries to present its take of the evidence to raise the issue of reasonable doubt.

Of course the prosection can add additional charges to the original matter if the matters are part of one sequence of offending or separate them if required

It is up to the jury/Judge to determine if the the outcome on the evidence provided. Any pending matters cannot be presented into evidence as the outcome hasn't been determined and therefore it is not factual evidence that the Court can consider

Many years ago there was a serious sexual offender who had 2 pending sexual assault charges separated by a couple of months. For a number of reasons, the first trial was delayed ( I think the informant was on extended leave) so when the second matter came to Court, the first matter wasnt mentioned. He was convicted but in sentencing the Court couldn't classify him as a serious sex offender becouse the first offence didn't exist in the eyes of the Court.

When the first matter was eventualy heard, he again couldn't be sentenced as a serious sex offender because at the time of the 1st offence he han't been convicted of any sex offences prior to the commision of the 1st offence

Of course the Hun went full page one about the Courts but the blame rested fully with the DPP and the Police
We need a ‘holy moly’ reaction emoji

The hit run has been dismissed by police.

The final ping if it exists (hasn't been refuted by police) is not consistent with police allegations that SM was killed at Mt Clear. It is circumstantial evidence that she may have been alive later that day in a different location. So police would need to establish how this ping occurred, otherwise there is reasonable doubt that she was murdered at Mt Clear.
If the ping doesn't exist, they don't have this problem - they can allege that the accused disabled SMs phone when he killed her.

Not sure I understand why the 5pm ping is a problem, the phone can ping after death. I'm thinking the police have the murder as being at Mount Clear with information they've pulled from her watch ie. her heart stopped beating there and/or they found something at Mount Clear, a piece of her clothing, her ear buds or blood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back