Sando - False bravado or genuine optimism?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have this theory a 5-6 goal lead is a dangerous lead ! Sounds stupid I know cause you'd rather be 5-6 in front then behind but let me explain;

5-6 goals up (esp early) perhaps you think you've done enough - Opponent thinks they're still in it if they don't let it get any further out (see below) - opposition lifts intensity

1-4 goal lead still plenty of work to do, so team still keeps working hard

7+ lead is going to be very hard for oppostion to come back (isn't the record 55 points or something - so it has happened but not too often).

I have been worried about the Melbourne game for a while, but not anymore after that loss. I reckon we'll give them a 15 goal spanking. Melbourne have no way near the same quality of side on the park as last season, and our side is a shitload better (Patty for a full game will also help!). We were so low on confidence also last year, but this year, we have everything to play for and will be pissed off after a shocking loss. Our record against Melbourne over there wasn't that bad when we were a decent side either.

Adelaide to kick 20-25 goals and hold Melbourne to less than 10 is my pick.:thumbsu:

I have been worried about the Melbourne game for a while, but not anymore after that loss. I reckon we'll give them a 15 goal spanking. Melbourne have no way near the same quality of side on the park as last season, and our side is a shitload better (Patty for a full game will also help!). We were so low on confidence also last year, but this year, we have everything to play for and will be pissed off after a shocking loss. Our record against Melbourne over there wasn't that bad when we were a decent side either.

Adelaide to kick 20-25 goals and hold Melbourne to less than 10 is my pick.:thumbsu:

I totally agree, good sides (and we are one) hit back hard after an embarrassing loss like that so I would expect a big turn around but they need to carry the anger from that loss deep into the finals. No good taking it out on Melbourne and then basking in the glory of defeating a basket case. They have to get their heads right now. I think they lost interest after quarter time. it was all too easy and they forgot why they were there.

Is this just the number of tackles, or is there a measure of tackling effectiveness?

Number of tackles I think?? But while our effectiveness has been much better certainly early in the season, I personally think we've slipped to old habits in recent weeks.

Not much Sando can say - our form is very worrying and I just wonder if we are running out of petrol tickets. We are an extremely young side who have had a few extra weeks of intense footy (since we set out to win the NAB Cup)..

Since West Coast we have gone 2-2 with one of those wins being at home to a completely depleted Essendon).

Would love to see us rest guys like Sloane / Jacobs / Petrenko / Wright / Callinan / Talia / Danger over the next 2 weeks...

We need to be as fresh & healthy as possible for our first week in the finals in which we will most likely come up against finals hardened Collingwood or Hawthorn....

My one hope is that our performance over the last month has suffered because we have tried to put a bit of extra work into the legs before tapering off in order to be cherry ripe for the finals...

i think i heard Radar tonight on 5AA say that Sando doesnt really even address the players after the game, they pretty much get left alone and do an review later. this kinda makes sense, theres little to be gained from a bake after the game is finished. half time, absolutely, but after the game you're just wasting your time, the players know they stuffed up.

(actually this may be a combo of something i heard on AFL360 from Bomber........)

anyway. dangers reaction was great. and he can say it because he performed.

it's not the end of the world to be battling this time of year. Malthouse said tonight that he has worries for the Roos because they've been up for so long. there has to be an emotional let down sooner or later.

i too am of the opinion we're tiring after not playing at this level/intensity for an extended period, as a team for the past few years. if our tackling pressure is the main concern, then i'm not too worried. i think thats one thing that can be turned on week to week. being in good touch is not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bomber said sando sat in the box for quite a while after the game. He was clearly upset and was looking for the best way to deal with the loss. Vince, dogga and dougie said at the post match that he had spoken to them after the match which I believe is normal. They weren't reviewing the game until Sunday after breakfast.

I'll wait until after Sunday before I get too worried. As for the tackling, we were terrible at it last year and it was alot better early in the year but has dropped off recently. This is to be expected really, there's only so much that Sando can do about it in one preseason, when the coaches to the season review at the end of the year and see that that is an area that needs work, I'm sure they'll be putting some extra emphasis on it during the PS and we'll be better at it again next year.

IMO our issue is mainly a mental one, the players too often get complacent when they think they've won or when we come up against a weaker opponent.

I have this theory a 5-6 goal lead is a dangerous lead ! Sounds stupid I know cause you'd rather be 5-6 in front then behind but let me explain;

5-6 goals up (esp early) perhaps you think you've done enough - Opponent thinks they're still in it if they don't let it get any further out (see below) - opposition lifts intensity

1-4 goal lead still plenty of work to do, so team still keeps working hard

7+ lead is going to be very hard for oppostion to come back (isn't the record 55 points or something - so it has happened but not too often).

I've heard a senior soccer coach say that the most dangerous score is 2 to 0 up at half time which is equivalent to your 5-6 goal lead suggestion. Another factor adding to this would be that injuries have eased selection pressure: Hendo, Martin etc and replacements haven't pushed anyone out.

I've heard a senior soccer coach say that the most dangerous score is 2 to 0 up at half time which is equivalent to your 5-6 goal lead suggestion. Another factor adding to this would be that injuries have eased selection pressure: Hendo, Martin etc and replacements haven't pushed anyone out.
The thing is that at 5-6 goals up you know there is going to be a reaction from the opposition. It comes down to how you absorb, withstand and respond. And cope.

Historically we have gone into our shells, played safe, defensive football and panicked under pressure. Or disappeared completely. Unfortunately this is the legacy/trademark of the Craig era and it is a major challenge for Sando to stamp it out.

Saturday night showed that he's not there yet.

The thing is that at 5-6 goals up you know there is going to be a reaction from the opposition. It comes down to how you absorb, withstand and respond. And cope.

Historically we have gone into our shells, played safe, defensive football and panicked under pressure. Or disappeared completely. Unfortunately this is the legacy/trademark of the Craig era and it is a major challenge for Sando to stamp it out.

Saturday night showed that he's not there yet.

Not just Craig pally. Ayres also.

IMO our issue is mainly a mental one, the players too often get complacent when they think they've won or when we come up against a weaker opponent.

Cue...Melbourne.
Im as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
Brad Greens swansong, flogged by Demons at the G >90 points last time, wet and wooly day predicted, Micky Malthouses comments, coming off a roadtrip up north...Dont want to put a dampener on this thread but, I would not be surprised of a loss this weekend after another strident start.

Posted before but our intensity has been tapering off since mid-season. The Brisbane loss was disappointing but what is a real concern was our inability to lift our game to match theirs. This game had real importance and sure, we often 'lose' one quarter of football (2nd here), but worryingly the players still could not rally enough thereafter to 'save' the match. There would be a lot of tired bodies out there at this stage of the season but our performance defecit still appears to be mental. We have an ancient history of being lulled into cruise mode when we achieve 6 or 7 goal leads and I think the same mentality has fallen into place from this seasons early dominance of our midfield..........Too much being left to too few.

We need a massive effort this week because our wet game football has been poor this year.

Not just Craig pally. Ayres also.

I remember back in 03 commenting that the Crows must hate their fans, because they seemed to put them through heartstoppers every single week. We'd be well up, then suddenly we'd let them back in the game.

It's been a problem at the Crows for a long time.

I remember back in 03 commenting that the Crows must hate their fans, because they seemed to put them through heartstoppers every single week. We'd be well up, then suddenly we'd let them back in the game.

It's been a problem at the Crows for a long time.

Yeah.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind a look at our record in these situations compared with other clubs. Comebacks do happen across the comp after all. How Adelaide-centric is it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sando - False bravado or genuine optimism?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back