SANFL U-18's Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

shane edwards played very well for north league team in his 2nd game for them got 3rd best in the paper i think

Yep 19 touches I think in a side that was thumped.

Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere but SA Under 18's thrashed NSW/ACT Under 18's by 100+ points few days ago, minus Sellar, Gibbs, Hurley, Edwards, Thomas to name a few guns.

Not a bad effort by the boys. Havent got the exact details on me atm, but they were published in the the sunday Mail I think.

Thunderstruck said:
Yep 19 touches I think in a side that was thumped.

Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere but SA Under 18's thrashed NSW/ACT Under 18's by 100+ points few days ago, minus Sellar, Gibbs, Hurley, Edwards, Thomas to name a few guns.

Not a bad effort by the boys. Havent got the exact details on me atm, but they were published in the the sunday Mail I think.

No Todd Pfeiffer in that side also. Wundke did not play either. Anyone know why? has he ben cut from the squad because i think he did play for North Reserves on the weekend. Suprised if he has been. IMO he is the best full forward they have on offer.

MJ101 said:
No Todd Pfeiffer in that side also. Wundke did not play either. Anyone know why? has he ben cut from the squad because i think he did play for North Reserves on the weekend. Suprised if he has been. IMO he is the best full forward they have on offer.

I think he will be in the main squad, just didn't play in that game like many other players. Pfieffer was injured.

Thunderstruck said:
The following have played senior SANFL:

Bryce Gibbs (regularly in best)
James Sellar
Angus Lally
Tom Hurley (often in best)
Tom Anderson
Todd Pfieffer
Daniel Caire
Lindsay Thomas

You can add Sam Jacobs to that list. He's played the last two league games for the Eagles. 200cm, 99kg 17 y.o. ruckman who can go forward and kick goals. Unusually coordinated for someone so big and young. Will go in the draft later in the year I'd imagine.

Yep, he is pretty mobile, like what I see in him. Not huge possesion rate but good with his taps and uses footy well. Not a real gumby type ruckman, sorta bit like White but not THAT mobile.

yeah mobile is like the one thing he isn't, he's a good kid and is a reasonable player, but i think you guys don't understand how good you have to be to get drafted....if the people in these forums were right there would be 30 players from each footy state drafted. I bet there are plenty of good ruckmen around australia doing as good as he is who u have no idea about

most reasonable players > 196 cm are drafted, even if only to a rookie list. Jacobs is 198 cm and playing sanfl league for a top side at age 18 - he will be drafted by the saints or a team with poor long term ruck prospects.

malcolm said:
Jacoba - will defintely be drafted - probably to a club with limited long term ruck stocks including st. kilda, essendon, bulldogs

Essendon dont have limited long term ruck spots, we have Ryder, Hille, Laycock, Cartledge and McKinnon. Hardly need another ruckmen, all under 25.

turbo182 said:
Ha good on the bloke.

Is Fairclough stiff? league footy would have guaranteed state spots I would have thought. There's not much mroe he could do. Even if he is younger.
late addition to the squad... to be fair to selectors it wasnt that long a go he was playing in the 17s...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

omissions from sanfl u18 squad as of wednesday 14th (down to 30):
A Hutchins (AIS) :eek:
J Cheetham (AIS) :eek:
J vanderhaak
A Day
J Donohue

would have thought top 2 players would have walked in (and possible draftees)! I thought Hutchins was going to be captain to be honest, and to think Pepe is still in the team!!

bomber boy said:
J vanderhaak
A Day
J Donohue

would have thought top 2 players would have walked in (and possible draftees)! I thought Hutchins was going to be captain to be honest, and to think Pepe is still in the team!!

See if Pepe brings out the karate kick once more.

Great news for Fairy - Don't think he can be drafted this year though. He tagged me last year! :D:D:D:D

bomber boy said:
J vanderhaak
A Day
J Donohue

None of those really surprise me, there is no way hutchins was ever going to be captain, not infront of blokes like Hurley, Pfieffer and Gibbs. The bigges dilemna is what position do you play Hutchins, not quite there as a midfielder at this level, not there as a key position player either. Cheetham must have been close, is big and can take a strong mark but they obviously see better options. Vanderhaak is no great surprise, biggest surprise for me is that he was there in the first place. Day isnt a bad forward but has a bad tendancy to play from behind a lot and that may have been his down fall. Donohue i havent seen this year but i saw him a fair bit last year and i didnt really see anything special in him so thats no great surprise to see him cut either.

RooDog said:
None of those really surprise me, there is no way hutchins was ever going to be captain, not infront of blokes like Hurley, Pfieffer and Gibbs. The bigges dilemna is what position do you play Hutchins, not quite there as a midfielder at this level, not there as a key position player either. Cheetham must have been close, is big and can take a strong mark but they obviously see better options. Vanderhaak is no great surprise, biggest surprise for me is that he was there in the first place. Day isnt a bad forward but has a bad tendancy to play from behind a lot and that may have been his down fall. Donohue i havent seen this year but i saw him a fair bit last year and i didnt really see anything special in him so thats no great surprise to see him cut either.

have to disagree. hutchins was going to be a starter in ressies/league from round one but has struggled thro op. best suited to half back IMO as he has great hands and good agility and pace for his height. just got injured at the wrong time. he will play reserves and league the rest of the year. havent seen cheetham or donoghue. day is a very good fwd but has been playing full back for state but chf for glenelg and shc. too creative a player to play fb. was unlucky in the fact he played out of position but i guess that is things he mite have to deal with in future years. very good player tho who most prob will make league debut before seasons end. vanderhaak built in the same mould as phil raymond. quick, good hands, good skills and can do freaky things. lack of confidence in reserves match and not enough oppotunity may have hurt his chances but he will follow hutchins. i dont think its the end of the world if they dont make it. plenty of players in the draft ddnt play in the carnival.

colin custard said:
five players cut to make the final squad;

fairclough
holmes
wundke
obst
ogrady

hurley captain

Holmes:O dam i thouhgt he would be in there for sure he is bottom age though isnt he im not sure but if he isnt i cant beleive he didnt make it.

SnIcKeRs #3 said:
Holmes:O dam i thouhgt he would be in there for sure he is bottom age though isnt he im not sure but if he isnt i cant beleive he didnt make it.
Holmesy is bottom age n hasnt been playin too well out at state. Hasnt really had one good game out of 3 or 4 n i think the only reason they persisted with him so long in the squad was cos he can turn it on with his skills and creativity. Shame to see Wundke get cut, been so good for so long. Schulz must be really steppin it up to kick him out of ff. Watched schulz on the w/e for the first time in a while against north and showed he is a package. Had everything, strong marks, goal assists, awsome pace and tackling and to top it off kicked a freak right foot snap from nowhere (he is a left footer) good chance of getting drafted judging from saturday... n only u17

Staggered at Holmes getting cut. Exceptional talent, skills 2nd to none, but I guess his form certainly has NOT been great so the decision was made. Fairclough is going to tear up the Under 16 carnival one would think, he certainly is eye catching.

Hurley captain over Gibbs or Sellar is perplexing. Sure he is worthy of it but over those guys its questionable. Perhaps it will take some pressure of Gibbs/Sellar and they will go out and play their game to the best of their ability.

Wundke was awesome last year and looked a shoe in but can't argue with Schulz getting the nod agead of him. Is certainly impressive and one to watch out for.

Overall, the best side weve had ever I would have to say, stars mixed with very strong 2nd level players.

Thunderstruck said:
Staggered at Holmes getting cut. Exceptional talent, skills 2nd to none, but I guess his form certainly has NOT been great so the decision was made. Fairclough is going to tear up the Under 16 carnival one would think, he certainly is eye catching.

Hurley captain over Gibbs or Sellar is perplexing. Sure he is worthy of it but over those guys its questionable. Perhaps it will take some pressure of Gibbs/Sellar and they will go out and play their game to the best of their ability.

Wundke was awesome last year and looked a shoe in but can't argue with Schulz getting the nod agead of him. Is certainly impressive and one to watch out for.

Overall, the best side weve had ever I would have to say, stars mixed with very strong 2nd level players.

Been announced that Tom Hurley is captain and Bryce will be vice. Sellar hasn't shown anything in the way of leadership lately. Has been missing state trainings. From the outside it looks like he is getting slightly ahead of himself. Correct me if im wrong..
Fairclough is u17 not 16 and hence was added to the u18s squad (but got cut). If he was u16 he would be in the 16s squad and be ineligible for 18s (as gibbs was last year)

bomber boy u obviously have a close connection with the u18's, or you are in that team!!! can u tell me how u think tom hurley will go as captain? do u think he is the right man for the job? does he have the leadership capabilities that will make him a good skipper???

thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL U-18's Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back