Schofield to a Wing??

Remove this Banner Ad

Utility. He is our next Staker.

Must be one of the most deceiving players for height. Seems shorter than he is.

Right? When he started lining up regularly against taller blokes last year year I didn't know wtf was going on. Based on vague memories of his first few games.

IIRC he played a couple of games late in 07 and barely played the following two years?

has lifted a lot in the last month i reckon.

was very shaky early in the year.

i'm a massive fan but i didn't see much of the second half of last year after heading o/s for a while then working most weekends and so i couldn't quite grasp the bagging he was copping on here because i thought up until i left (around round 10) he had been very very good including what i thought was a near BOG performance against the Demons at the G.

but after seeing him in the first few rounds this year i could understand what people were syaing late last year and what was going on.

i still can't believe he is 196cm. someone told me that the other week. i always thought he was 188 to 190cm.

As for the wing role. He could definately play there. I don't think he could do it permentantly because the opposition would send out guys like Cyril, Hill, Jetta and co. to him.... but in a pinch hitting role for 3 to 5 minutes a few times a game before moving back into defence could cause a serious mis match for us.

Is definately better as a third tall in defence then a true KPD, but has definately picked it up the last month or so.

I reckon if he can get to his full potential our team will look a lot better. He could be a very very tricky bloke for opposition's in the Sam Fisher sort of mould.

Let's see:
-Long hair
-Tall
-Athletic
-Undersize for a key position player body wise
-Good tank
-Prone to defensive errors that make you shake your head
-Dodgy disposal
-Suggestion to move him to the midfield?

Haven't we tried and failed with this experiment twice before with Staker and Spangher??? Have we not learned yet people?????

Schofield reminds me too much of his predecessors, and like his predecessors I don't see him making an AFL career with us long term

Let's see:
-Long hair
-Tall
-Athletic
-Undersize for a key position player body wise
-Good tank
-Prone to defensive errors that make you shake your head
-Dodgy disposal
-Suggestion to move him to the midfield?

Haven't we tried and failed with this experiment twice before with Staker and Spangher??? Have we not learned yet people?????

Schofield reminds me too much of his predecessors, and like his predecessors I don't see him making an AFL career with us long term

See the thing is that I think he has fixed his disposal and decision making alot this year.

For me the thing he offers over Gaff and Shep is is ability to take a mark and in the modern game where breaking a press with run is not always an option, another player able to take a mark on the wing helps no end in breaking that press.

While i recognise we have no option at the moment but to play schoey as a key defender i think we as a club need to recognise that he is not one and to not have him competing with glass,emac or brown for a position in the team.
I like Schofield too. But the problem is Glass is near the end, and Brown is not a natural defender. There are no other KPD's even close to playing at this point.

Looking at the construction of our list, I would say the club disagrees with you and thinks Schofield is very much that 3rd tall option.

i'm a massive fan but i didn't see much of the second half of last year after heading o/s for a while then working most weekends and so i couldn't quite grasp the bagging he was copping on here because i thought up until i left (around round 10) he had been very very good including what i thought was a near BOG performance against the Demons at the G.
On this subject BT, Schofield fell off badly in the second half of 2010. Just like you, I observed Schofield apparently break through and consolidate his spot early in 2010 but he lost the potency in his kick (really noticeable when Hurn was out and he was doing the point kick ins) and he lost confidence overall, like the entire team.

It looked like he carried that form over to 2011 and was dropped, but since Brown's injury he's been given another chance and has played a good month of footy. The real test for Schofield though, will arise when E-Mac and Brown are ready for selection. Despite his solid play, I don't think on current form he's done enough to dislodge either.

It wasn't that long ago that people were calling for his head.

Mackenzie and Brown out have left the door open for him.
agreed ,he is probably only in the team because of injuries,with brown emac and waters out he is a last resort and playing him on a wing instead of gaff,weedon,strijk or shuey would be a big step backwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is how i have our best back six now
FB Butler Glass Hurn
HB Waters Emac Schofield

This is how i have it 2 years from now hopefully with buts and waters both fit.
FB Butler Emac Hurn
HB Waters Brown Schofield

I rate schoey much higher than the rest of this board it seems and think he can play in a similar mould to both mackie and gilbert and i think he can do it better than both of them.

He's great in space, he just glides across the field and the best bit is he can sell a dummy and turn back inside towards the corridor, never gets caught when he has space.

Sounds good in theory I just wonder if he'll find the ball enough.

He's great in space, he just glides across the field and the best bit is he can sell a dummy and turn back inside towards the corridor, never gets caught when he has space.

Sounds good in theory I just wonder if he'll find the ball enough.

HBF I reckon - he, Butler, Hurn and Waters can battle it out with B Wilson, Brennan and Sheppard for spots in the team. Should create some healthy competition in a couple of years time.

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. Regularly gets pumped and is well behind MacKenzie, Brown and obviously Glass.

Add to it the regular brain farts as well (eg on the weekend dropping the unopposed mark from the long bomb from Didak which resulted in a Collingwood goal)

Mark my words, is the latest failed project after Staker/Spangher

Because he is shithouse.
schoey is improving out of sight.my theory is that he is the new Daniel Chick.big,agressive fast.His confidence is improving every outing.Wake up goonies .Where do you find players of this size and speed?When we get Brown and Mac back Schoey will be a great mid/tagger.Chick took years to become the dominant thug he ended up being.Time folks time.

schoey is improving out of sight.my theory is that he is the new Daniel Chick.big,agressive fast.His confidence is improving every outing.Wake up goonies .Where do you find players of this size and speed?When we get Brown and Mac back Schoey will be a great mid/tagger.Chick took years to become the dominant thug he ended up being.Time folks time.
Being an athlete doesn't make you a good footballer. When are you "goonies" gonna realise that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Schofield to a Wing??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back