Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this and even go a bit further , this season Pendlebury's main role was as a defensive midfielder. For our structure he was frequently deployed defensive side of the stoppage with the purpose of his footy smarts preventing opposition from having clean exits out the front of the stoppage. He frequently played sacrificial games to be accountable for opposition dangerous midfielders , see for example him shutting Petracca out of the game in the first half of the QF allowing us to get a match winning lead. See in the final quarter of the PF how many hits he takes to hold up play at the stoppages to run the clock . He has played as the ultimate team man , organising and positioning himself where he was needed ....

Now Dusty , defensive positioning, accountability, sacrifice for the team , has he ever done that or does he just roam around looking for those score involvements ?

Show us all the examples in big games of Dusty's direct opponent hurting Richmond....

One of those rare players that everyone respects and appreciates. Legend.

That is definitely Pendlebury's main skill as a footballer, being liked and respected by everybody. :)

I can just picture McRae's pre match speech:

"Darcy, I want you to go out there today and just be weird, pretend to be enjoying yourself when you are not, act weird, look weird. Bruz, if you get a chance to knock someone out while attempting to smother, take it, this is a final mate, just try to make it look like a football act, whatever that is. Nikos, mate, they are going to come for you, so when they do, drop at the knees, we've been given the go-ahead for this from HQ. People won't like it, but it is a Grand Final, **** everybody."

"And Scott, you are special mate. I want you to go out there today and no matter what happens, I want you to make sure you are liked and respected by everyone."

Last edited:
Bont is Pendelbury that can push forward and kick 4. Pendelbury is an amazing player and a top 5 percent player but with the amount of good footy he is pushing into the top 2-3 percent.
We have three options here:
1. Your maths isn't great;
2. Your eye for identifying football talent isn't great;
3. You need to find 50 or so players who have debuted since the turn of the century who have been better than Pendlebury.

That is definitely Pendlebury's main skill as a footballer, being liked and respected by everybody. :)

I can just picture McRae's pre match speech:

"Darcy, I want you to go out there today and just be weird, pretend to be enjoying yourself when you are not, act weird, look weird. Bruz, if you get a chance to knock someone out while attempting to smother, take it, this is a final mate, just try to make it look like a football act, whatever that is. Nikos, mate, they are going to come for you, so when they do, drop at the knees, we've been given the go-ahead for this from HQ. People won't like it, but it is a Grand Final, * everybody."

"And Scott, you are special mate. I want you to go out there today and no matter what happens, I want you to make sure you are liked and respected by everyone."
This is really hurting you, isn’t it? Your posting quality has dropped at a far worse rate than Richmond’s ladder positions. You were doing so much better when they were winning flags.

How good is this Monday morning with Collingwood as premiers though? Seriously.

This is really hurting you, isn’t it? Your posting quality has dropped at a far worse rate than Richmond’s ladder positions. You were doing so much better when they were winning flags.

At least he's showing up and trying.

There are many who have gone into hiding...

We have three options here:
1. Your maths isn't great;
2. Your eye for identifying football talent isn't great;
3. You need to find 50 or so players who have debuted since the turn of the century who have been better than Pendlebury.
I could find 50 better players all time yes.
Still a star I would say since his debut would be in the top 25 players.

Leadership wise, happy to consider him in the same vein as Hodge, Selwood and Voss - which is where I think he belongs in footy history.

Will be remembered as a champion of the game.
Also has the 4th highest Brownlow vote tally in history (will be third end of next year) which recognises his on-field performance as a midfielder, against all over midfielders ever.

People will point out he has played close to 400 games, but he still needs to produce in those games to earn the Brownlow votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good was that last quarter though? Probably single-handedly won his side the premiership. Not bad for a 35 year old.
I wouldn't say single-handedly but without him (and a few others) you lot wouldn't have won that game. He reminds me a bit of Boomer Harvey ... he was always a smart player but once you add nearly 400 games of experince to that footy iq you get a really smart player. They both know knew how to treat situations and where to get to all the time. Seen it all before and were reacting a bit ahead of other players.

There were times yesterday when you could see him sum up where he needed to be, get there and then do something that kept the game on the Pies terms. Great player.

I don't get this argument about who is actually better player either. Pendlebury is very smart, understands the game and can make decisions about how to react to situations that benefit his side long term. I hope we're chasing him to coach with Clarkson in 2025.

Played a crucial role in winning two Gfs for his side the way Martin played a crucial role in three but neither of them would have achieve what they did without being part of an excellent team with an effective, well coached system.

You didn't say either.

But if you say top 2 to 3%, you've got to find 50 players better since the turn of the century, and/or 200 players better since 1897.

Good luck with that.
ok maybe he is in the 1 then I would say he is top 100 of all time.

I assume he's held in the same esteem amongst Pie's supporters as what Selwood is amongst Geelong fans - ie at the absolute zenith ahead of others who've received more external awards and plaudits. Speaking of, I know he's committed to next year but I wonder if he'll give even a second of thought in the coming days/weeks to pulling the pin. Going out at the absolute top must have some kind of allure to it.

I assume he's held in the same esteem amongst Pie's supporters as what Selwood is amongst Geelong fans - ie at the absolute zenith ahead of others who've received more external awards and plaudits. Speaking of, I know he's committed to next year but I wonder if he'll give even a second of thought in the coming days/weeks to pulling the pin. Going out at the absolute top must have some kind of allure to it.
I reckon he wants more premierships based on his language post game.

Similar level to Selwood, there-abouts with Selwood with his ability but slightly behind as a leader (could make an argument either way - I admit bias). Neither were ever the best player in the game which puts them below the Judds/Abletts etc.

He is a better player than Selwood and Hodge, who were elevated for their leadership skills.

Of course it hurts me when Collingwood win a flag. Shocking football club. Not going to pretend otherwise.

That's got nothing to do with me correcting people's Pendlebury misconceptions though. I am just doing that to stop this website spiralling out of control with the likes of Fadge leading a fantasy Pendlebury slash Daicos circle jerk.

The real story: Collingwood 3d print Richmond FC then claim to have invented it. :)

Also has the 4th highest Brownlow vote tally in history (will be third end of next year) which recognises his on-field performance as a midfielder, against all over midfielders ever.

People will point out he has played close to 400 games, but he still needs to produce in those games to earn the Brownlow votes.

Lachie Neale and JHF prove this isn't true haha

If Pendles got those sort of votes he'd be a 5 time medalist!

He is a better player than Selwood and Hodge, who were elevated for their leadership skills.
I feel like Hodge and Selwood were underrated as actual players. Hodge due to being compared to Judd. Selwood due to being compared to Ablett. But really, they were always Top 5 in their teams. I mean, Hodge has two Norm Smiths. Guy can play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back