Player Watch Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank God he is staying the worst result that could happen is the club lose all its leaders when going through a rebuild.

Having a poor year next year isn't the end of the world (like some have you believe) but doing it rudderless iand no direction for youth to follow is.

Not until he either signs a contract with us, or signs a nice player-coach package contract with another team.

That’s reasonable isn’t it?

Fair enough, I guess it's how one views it, I view it as he's staying and that contract will come.

I reckon Pendles has probably regretted honestly answering a journos question disregarding how the media would twist it and the timing of it.

Fair enough, I guess it's how one views it, I view it as he's staying and that contract will come.

It’s the silly season. Between now and when the AFL TPP boss locks the door to the trade lodgement room, anything can happen, especially to players out of contract.

The historical examples are endless.

Sure, odds are he’ll stay because most generally do. But when a seed has been planted (as has happened now) they very often don’t.

I reckon Pendles has probably regretted honestly answering a journos question disregarding how the media would twist it and the timing of it.

(1) Nobody twisted his words. The words that came out of his mouth needed no mayonnaise whatsoever.

(2) The journo was Jay Clarke, who Pendles has a strong association with. Jay was feeding him softballs and pumping him up. Pendlebury happily played along. Hardly a ‘gotcha’ environment.

I find this all a rather hyperbolic reaction, from the audio it sounds to me:
  • I want to coach at another club >after< I finish my one club career.
Even though the 'after' bit wasn't mentioned (kinda a pertinent bit of info), what is odd is the timing, what prompted him to publicly state this? My tip is a journo at mmm asked him, and the audio we've got is just the answer to a question that has been beaten up to sound like Pendles wants out (but the important bit is the when). It's made out to sound he's not %100 happy at the Pies and then that speculation starts.

I doubt Pendles is shopping himself for the now

Reckon he's already had a slap himself on the forehead Homer Simpson Doh moment.
Yep that is what I got out it too. However even if he was implying that, think he has given us pretty good service and think that he would have paid as much at another club or maybe even more, who knows.

I really don't get the angst against him he is not the biggest problem of why we are where we are.

It was so clear that everyone has a different interpretation of it.
I can't see how tbh. Come forward with offers is generally an immediate call it was not come forward with offers in 1 or 2 years after I finish up at the pies.

He stuffed up, acknowledged and we all move on but lets not all pretend this was the media twisting it.

Seems to be a contract negotiation tactic. Don't like it being done through the media though.

Why put a 2 year cap on his playing career? Why worrying about coaching options now when they will come later anyway? If that's the term he wants why can't that be achieved with Collingwood?

We have a new coach coming, which will add further experiences to his post footy resume anyway.
From what I can see it is nothing but rumour generated by the likes of Cornes who never speak to players or clubs.
They misappropriate others comments, listen and read snippets form others and read whatever it is they want to BS about into it.
Cornes just blurts out his opinion to get clicks. Nothing more.

He didn't make a mistake. He meant what he said. It wasn't a matter of one wrong word. He stated clearly and concisely that he was open to offers while still playing.He has lost my respect. I thought he was a loyal Collingwood man who we could forever hold up as one of the true greats both on and off the field but his decision to shop around has damaged his reputation even if he remains at the club.
What the hell was he thinking?
I think he picked his words carefully and said exactly what he planned.
That doesn't mean he wanted to leave, it's just throwing some pressure on the club to keep the money flowing.

He's no different to any of the other top paid players, they maximise their worth by shopping around, regardless of any intent to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he picked his words carefully and said exactly what he planned.
That doesn't mean he wanted to leave, it's just throwing some pressure on the club to keep the money flowing.

He's no different to any of the other top paid players, they maximise their worth by shopping around, regardless of any intent to leave.

Can't remember Joel Selwood, Cotchin, Luke Hodge ect publicly inviting other teams to offer them contracts. Maybe I've forgotten something?

While I believe his intent was to increase his bargaining value, rather than actually leave, I find it crazy that half the supporters on here aren't gutted that our captain said he'd look at leaving.

The captain is the leader and at the moment we need great leadership more than anything

While I believe his intent was to increase his bargaining value, rather than actually leave, I find it crazy that half the supporters on here aren't gutted that our captain said he'd look at leaving.

The captain is the leader and at the moment we need great leadership more than anything
I think half are while the other half were not.

Agree though not the best move going via media street with that.

I think we’ve all had a gutful. Far too much to care anymore about being gutted.

If he won’t sign a one year deal then he can go.

After all the shit contract management there can be no room for sentimentality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back