Scott Thompson, top 10 midfielder in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't see how he is any less of the player Boyd is.

This, Victorians/media underrate too many interstate players. A goo example is Simon Black. Absolute legend with a brownlow, norm smith, a few club b and f's, 3 premierships, 300 games. But because he has played his whole career in Brisbane and is from WA he doesnt get the accolades he deserves.

Stats and ratings are pretty meaningless.

Off the top of my head 10 good midfielders are Pendles, Ablett, Judd, Swan, Selwood, Mitchell, Murphy, Bartel, Black & Boyd.

Does Thompson have a stronger claim to be in that list than any of those guys?

I think the cream of the cream fill out the first half a dozen spots perhaps and it's pretty even from there to 20 or 25. Thompson (like Boyd, Priddis, Rockliff, Swallow...) sits in this 7-25 bracket.

I had both Thompson and Priddis in my All-Australian team in Big Footy last year, selectors didn't agree. As always they weight their selections based on a player's recent career performance rather than the year under consideration. If they were true to the guidelines both would have been in.

Thompson suffered from playing in a poorly performed team and Priddis because he lacks smooth skills. But both players were enormous for their teams and won hard ball after hard ball. Thompson would have appeared better if he'd had someone to give the ball to, but last year he didn't.

Had an A Grade season last year

Very effective with some flaws which will stop him from ever being Elite

Wasn't happy when he left Melbourne after we drafted him but always respected him as a player

200 Games Congratulations

Stats and ratings are pretty meaningless.

Off the top of my head 10 good midfielders are Pendles, Ablett, Judd, Swan, Selwood, Mitchell, Murphy, Bartel, Black & Boyd.

Does Thompson have a stronger claim to be in that list than any of those guys?

I think the cream of the cream fill out the first half a dozen spots perhaps and it's pretty even from there to 20 or 25. Thompson (like Boyd, Priddis, Rockliff, Swallow...) sits in this 7-25 bracket.
There is no way he is below Boyd. They are the exact same type of player, have been very good for close to the same amount of time, except Thommo burns the ball less often. Bartel would have been, but he doesn't play enough as a mid anymore, so Thommo would be ahead now. Not sure how Rockliff is that high, needs more than one big season to even be talked about in the top 25 mids.

Would be equal with guys like Black, Murphy and Mitchell atm with Selwood slightly ahead. Pendles, Ablett, Judd, Swan and Selwood are the clear top 5, with maybe Mitchell, Murphy, Thommo, Boyd and Black after that (Swallow and Priddis wouldn't be far off either).

This, Victorians/media underrate too many interstate players. A goo example is Simon Black. Absolute legend with a brownlow, norm smith, a few club b and f's, 3 premierships, 300 games. But because he has played his whole career in Brisbane and is from WA he doesnt get the accolades he deserves.

I understand your point but Simon Black isn't a very good example.

Yeah, um, Black is regarded as a gun from everyone i would say. And has got plenty of accolades over the years

Would be equal with guys like Black, Murphy and Mitchell atm with Selwood slightly ahead. Pendles, Ablett, Judd, Swan and Selwood are the clear top 5, with maybe Mitchell, Murphy, Thommo, Boyd and Black after that (Swallow and Priddis wouldn't be far off either).

I would agree with that.
Thommo deserves recognition as one of the very best mids going around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Thompson, top 10 midfielder in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back