Toast Scott Watters is the new coach of St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Scott Watters is the new coach of St Kilda (Source: Herald Sun)

I was a bit wary at Hinkley and Richardson being rejected in 2 previous occasions for the top job.

I agree if Hinkley & Richardson have beem passed over by previous teams what does that say.

Congrats to Scotty Watters :thumbsu:

Just something i quickly whipped up to introduce everyone to Watters

Scott Watters – New StKilda Coach

Scott Watters has been named as the new coach of the StKilda Football Club, filling the void left by Ross Lyon’s shock defection to Fremantle just over a month ago. Watters, 42, has spent the past two seasons as an assistant at Collingwood, taking charge of the Magpies’ defence. He takes over the reins at St Kilda after two years as an assistant to Mick Malthouse at Collingwood. He beat out fellow AFL assistants, Gold Coast’s Ken Hinkley and Carlton’s Alan Richardson, who also made the final stage of the Saints’ selection process.

The Saints will hold a press conference in Melbourne at 11:00am (AEDT) on Sunday to officially announce the move.

Recruited from South Fremantle at the end of 1988 by West Coast, Watters played 109 games of AFL from 1989-96; firstly for the Eagles (1989-92; 46 games), then Sydney (1993-94; 37 games) and Fremantle (1995-96; 26 games). Scott was vice-captain of Fremantle’s inaugural team in 1995, before retiring at the end of 1996.

Post his football career, Watters spent time as a radio commentator with Perth radio station 6PR & Melbourne’s sports radio station SEN. Scott then moved into coaching Subiaco’s Under 19 WAFL team in 2006 and was soon promoted to the senior role in 2007. Watters coached Subiaco for three seasons, including Premierships in 2007 and 2008 and for the past two years has combined this role with coaching the WAFL state representative side to wins over Queensland and South Australia.

Having forged a fine coaching career in Western Australian, Scott was highly sought after by a number of AFL clubs before deciding to join Collingwood as assistant coach in 2009. Replacing Blake Caracella, Scott was the defensive line coach and comes to the Pies with fantastic grounding and experience. Scott was a integral part of Collingwoods successful 2010 Premiership campaign.

Honors:
1991 Grand Final (West Coast)
1995 Vice-Captain (Fremantle)
State of Origin (Western Australia)
2007 & 2008 Subiaco Premiership Coach
2009 Assistant Coach, Collingwood Football Club
2010 Assistant Coach, Collingwood Football Club (Premiership)

Bad call Hutchy. Uninformed call. Blacklisted call. Fat call.

welcome aboard scotty! hopefully the name scotty has some good luck attached to it and they make it 2 from 2. I heard scotty (saints) was being lined up for the freo job in 2013. How funny will it be if it turns out they poached the wrong fella and handed us the right bloke accidently..

Any ideas on who will televise the presser? I'll be out at 11am tomorrow. I'm tipping Fox Sports News?

Plough seems to love Watters

thelistmanager Terry Wallace

For those who asked why I was impressed with Watters ? He is driven,his own man,educated,successful as a coach in his own right & ready !

Just glad we have a coach for the end of trade week. Hopefully he can give Walsh the vision. Would prefer to see what he can do in a saints top rather than any other.

welcome to the Saints little Duck

Watters nickname was Smurf back in his playing days, he would be giving Clarko a run for his money in the shortest senior coach stakes. Thankfully unlike Clarko he doesn't have angry short man syndrome.

Any ideas on who will televise the presser? I'll be out at 11am tomorrow. I'm tipping Fox Sports News?

SEN said they will go live to it at 11am, so assuming they'll take the FSN feed as usual :thumbsu::thumbsu:

What exactly is a hashtag?

If you are using a twitter account you address people using an @ before their twitter handle. If you are setting a topic you can use a # to label it.

If enough people use the topic #stayTommyW then it affects the statistics of the twitterverse and you are said to be trending.

We want to send a trickle of tweets directly to Tommy Walsh but not a flood - so rather than use his twitter handle all the time (all of which end up on his phone) we can use the #stayTommyW hashtag.

If Tommy is curious, he may investigate how many people have tweeted the #stayTommyW hashtag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are using a twitter account you address people using an @ before their titter handle. If you are setting a topic you can use a # to label it.

Schoolboy giggle.

Watters nickname was Smurf back in his playing days, he would be giving Clarko a run for his money in the shortest senior coach stakes. Thankfully unlike Clarko he doesn't have angry short man syndrome.

Im sure it was .. I used to call him duck when i used to watch him in his playing days as he waddled like a duck on the playing field.

he only stands 5ft 5in I reckon, so we will struggle to see him in the huddle.

May like the fake tan as well.

cheers

CC

Totally stoked, great appointment Saints. The only senior job he's applied for as far as I know. Had him as one of my preferences from day one. The closer it got - it was out of Watters and Richardson.

Now to see what he does with his assistants..........

He seems really keen on getting Dean Laidley to the club as an assistant, if you are to believe the Hun.

I'm happy to have Laidley, but no Skype (especially since he's in Vic). Needs to be around the club.

Whoops, I may have used the twitter handle... Only once, it was only once...

I really want him to stay.

If you are using a twitter account you address people using an @ before their twitter handle. If you are setting a topic you can use a # to label it.

If enough people use the topic #stayTommyW then it affects the statistics of the twitterverse and you are said to be trending.

We want to send a trickle of tweets directly to Tommy Walsh but not a flood - so rather than use his twitter handle all the time (all of which end up on his phone) we can use the #stayTommyW hashtag.

If Tommy is curious, he may investigate how many people have tweeted the #stayTommyW hashtag

Don't be so precious. You should include his twitter tag in your tweets. Flood his stream. It's really not that bad to have so many people mentioning your twitter handle in their tweets. It's not like receiving emails.

It Looks like Dean Laidley is going to be announced as senior assistant.

The thing I liked about Lyon from his very first presser was that he was misanthropic. Good quality for a coach, I reckon. I'm not sure I'm ready for an actual human being leading the Saints.
I for one was getting bored of Lyon's monotone droning every press conference. He would always say the same sort of stuff as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Scott Watters is the new coach of St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back