Scully a lock at Number 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Watts was hyped. Natanui was more so early last year, but from about the midway point onward, the talk centred around Watts. And watching how Natanui has grown into the game (yes he's still raw) I think he may have been a better choice (also Hurley or Rich TBH). I see Watts as being a good, servicable player, but no super-star as some seem to.

You say we chose him on hype yet you are getting sucked into the hype of Hurley and Rich's first year.

Not sure why you say "look how Naitanui has grow into the game" because it couldn't be further from the truth, he still looks lost out there. However people don't expect him to dominate from the get go, he's a project player as is Watts and they will take a couple of years to get into the groove.

Rich was playing against men last year and that's the reason why he is more accustomed to AFL level than the other draftees, plus he has a year on Watts.

Hurley does look a gem but again you are getting sucked into the hype of their first year, young players often do some very special things in their first years and people get sucked in to the hype.

I think Watts was hyped. Natanui was more so early last year, but from about the midway point onward, the talk centred around Watts. And watching how Natanui has grown into the game (yes he's still raw) I think he may have been a better choice (also Hurley or Rich TBH). I see Watts as being a good, servicable player, but no super-star as some seem to.

I think that's a little unfair on the young fella. Two complete different cases. Watching the way Watts leads, works his way into position before taking pack marks and kicks for goal he is a natural footballer. However, he wasn't equipped physically to make an impact this year. Maybe for some outside mids/back flankers/wingers you can get away with being a little light on, but when you're a developing KPP (speed/agility not usually going to be your thing) a strong body is a condition precedent to survival at the top level, let alone high production.

NikNat strikes me as the opposite, I can't see anything natural at all about his football ability. The way he kicks, bounces the footy strikes me as an athlete learning to play the game. To be fair, he has natural athletic talent, which allowed him to pull off some some nice highlight plays, but at this stage I haven't seen any ability to consistently win ruck contests to advantage, mark overhead etc, stuff you would expect from a big man. But whereas Watts was physically ill-equipped for AFL Nat is already a MONSTER of a man, he doesn't necessarily know how to use that size yet (and at times he looked scared of contact with blokes half his size), but his body didn't prevent him from making an impact this season.

All this has been said a thousand times before, and of course it's too early to draw meaningful conclusions this early, but I'm still convinced we drafted a footy player and they drafted an athlete. Obviously both could go either way but I couldn't be happier with the pick.

Is the ScullyToWatts username taken yet? ;)

You would think Scully is a lock after reading this article below. Also Morabito Trengove and Butcher all in contention for pick 2! Lucky you guys.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/83815/default.aspx

Melbourne eyes Tom Scully

By Matt Burgan 6:17 PM Sun 30 August, 2009
MELBOURNE coach Dean Bailey has hinted strongly that the club would select outstanding young Dandenong Stingrays midfielder Tom Scully with one of its first two picks in November's NAB AFL Draft.

The Demons have now secured the No.1 and No.2 picks in the meeting, after finishing bottom on the ladder and claiming fewer than 16 points on the ladder in the past two seasons.

Speaking at his final post-match media conference for 2009, following St Kilda's 47-point win over Melbourne, Bailey said with a smile that one of the two picks would definitely be a midfielder.

"I think one of them will certainly be a small – a midfielder," he said.

As for whether both picks would be used on midfielders, Bailey said: "It's a long way, away and we'll have to grin and bear it."

"I would've thought a good midfielder will help us."

Other players likely to be in the mix for Melbourne, with pick two, include South Australian Jack Trengove, Western Australian Anthony Morabito and Victorian John Butcher.

Although the losing margin wasn't flattering, it wasn't a true indication of Melbourne's solid effort against the minor premiers. Melbourne trailed by just 16 points at the 20-minute mark of the final term, before St Kilda slammed on five in a row.

Bailey was pleased his charges took it right up to the Saints for much of the match.

"Some of our players showed in the first half … almost three [quarters] I reckon that we can match it with the best team in the competition," he said.

"I thought we moved the ball reasonably well with some crisp handball."

Bailey paid tribute to three departing Demons – Russell Robertson, Paul Wheatley and Matthew Whelan.

"Russell, Paul and Wheels have been great servants of the Melbourne footy club. They've been outstanding and they are great people once you get to know them – they're terrific blokes," he said.

"It was nice to see Paul Wheatley kick a goal and it was great to see Robbo kick a goal … luckily [Brock] McLean handballed it to him, which was a good decision by Brock to handball it to him. He worked pretty hard Robbo.

"It would've been nice for Wheels to have a shot at goal – he was fairly keen to … but for all three to get through the game and contribute at different stages is important as well, in their last game for Melbourne."

Despite claiming successive wooden spoons, Bailey is excited about the developing youngsters and the off-field situation of the club.

"We ticked over 31,000 members and we've finished last the last two years – I think that is an exceptional opportunity," he said.

"If we get all 31,500 or 32,000 thousand at the MCG, I'd spend a week or two to thank every one of them – they've just been unbelievable for us.

"It's been an incredible show of faith in the football club – in everyone who is involved in it – and that's a great platform to build from as well, so there are exciting times ahead."

As for a possible contract extension post-2010, Bailey said with a smile: "The longer the better, that'd be fantastic."

Bailey_presser_246b.jpg

Dean Bailey is looking forward to 2010

^^^^^^^^ good read.

How hard is the concept of the PP and the rule though? A sports writer who not only doesn't know the rule on getting a 1st round PP but also how many wins we had this season.

"The Demons have now secured the No.1 and No.2 picks in the meeting, after finishing bottom on the ladder and claiming fewer than 16 points on the ladder in the past two seasons."

Personally, I hope the club does their due dilligence, and isn't sucked into any hype with choosing their draft picks. Honestly, I think last year they amy have got a bit hyped into picking Watts, who I have no doubt will be a good footballer, but I don't think he will be the star that others in the draft will be (Natanui, HUrley, Rich, Ziebell-but hey, at least we didn't pick Yarran). If Scully fits our needs, then he's the man, but if not, then maybe we look to someone like Butcher, or Morabito.

You are righting Watts off as a star way to early C. For a younger guy in that position hes played some very good games for Casey this year.

Dont forget he stood above the quality kids his age at the carnival last year in a big way. He took contested marks, kicked goals, got posessions up the ground and won the Larke medal as the best player at the champs. Then he went on and tested better than any other player at the draft camp so I dont think it was just hype with Watts.

Even based on first year performances alone I wouldnt trade him for Natanui. Rich, Zeibell and Hurley have been excellent but you can see from the body type, age, and style of play that Watts will need more time than them to be comfortable at AFL level.

Anyway youre not the only person who has that view - l doubt anyone question Scully's selection though!

Oh God... don't tell me there are people who actually believe the WCE trolls... :cool:

Hey guys, I keep hearing on the Tigers board the Dees are set to take Scully and Trengove with picks 1 and 2. I haven't heard it from any Dee's supporters though. I like the look of Trengove but I think the Dees need another forward. Many are saying you's have Jurrah and Watts but I don't see Jurrah as a KPF, more of a Motlop type third tall. With Grimes, Sylvia, Mclean, Moloney and Scully there might not be a need for Trengove. Just trying to get an idea on how the top 3 will go.

Good to see you back aswell Wona33. :thumbsu:

Thanks mate... although not quite back on the Bay yet though - but hopefully the promise I was made a couple of weeks ago is kept, and I get back there very soon too :)

Hey guys, I keep hearing on the Tigers board the Dees are set to take Scully and Trengove with picks 1 and 2. I haven't heard it from any Dee's supporters though. I like the look of Trengove but I think the Dees need another forward. Many are saying you's have Jurrah and Watts but I don't see Jurrah as a KPF, more of a Motlop type third tall. With Grimes, Sylvia, Mclean, Moloney and Scully there might not be a need for Trengove. Just trying to get an idea on how the top 3 will go.

Good to see you back aswell Wona33. :thumbsu:

Hey D7. The popluar opinion here seems to be Trengove for pick 2, but its not a consensus. A few people are talking about Jurrah being another forward option but I dont think thats the reason we'll take Trengove - its because he's the next best player.

If we do take Butcher - you guys wont miss out with Trengove, Cunnington or Morabito anyway.

Hey D7. The popluar opinion here seems to be Trengove for pick 2, but its not a consensus. A few people are talking about Jurrah being another forward option but I dont think thats the reason we'll take Trengove - its because he's the next best player.

If we do take Butcher - you guys wont miss out with Trengove, Cunnington or Morabito anyway.

Yeah good call mate. From what I've seen of Trengove he looks alot like "my boy" Cotchin. :)

As we've seen in the past (mostly by my club :eek:), it isn't the best option to take a player because he fills a gap in the side, recruiters should take the best available IMO. Being from Gippsland myself, and watching many Power games, I cannot speak highly enough of Butcher. Unfairly criticised on Bigfooty. Well on the Richmond board anyway.

He's been injured most the year and has still managed to kick 30 goals in 9 games. And trust me, the kid doesn't have it easy, he's often double of triple teamed which was evident throughout the championships also.

Either way the Demons will end up with a quality pair come draft time.

Yeah good call mate. From what I've seen of Trengove he looks alot like "my boy" Cotchin. :)

As we've seen in the past (mostly by my club :eek:), it isn't the best option to take a player because he fills a gap in the side, recruiters should take the best available IMO. Being from Gippsland myself, and watching many Power games, I cannot speak highly enough of Butcher. Unfairly criticised on Bigfooty. Well on the Richmond board anyway.

He's been injured most the year and has still managed to kick 30 goals in 9 games. And trust me, the kid doesn't have it easy, he's often double of triple teamed which was evident throughout the championships also.

Averaging 3.33 goals a game with 2 opponents and carrying an injury. Added to this his undoubted form last year as a bottom age player…

I’m glad I’m not BP

I sit in the Trengove camp myself - only because there's less risk. He was awsome at the champs, has played well for Sturt seniors since and is clearly a young gun on the rise. Butcher is obviously good but we havnt seen enough 'awsome' from him for too long now. Anyway Ive got alot of faith in Barry Prendergast so Id be satisfied if he takes Butcher.

Do you know anything about Butchers character? I have heard/read some slightly negative things but I dont know for myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sit in the Trengove camp myself - only because there's less risk. He was awsome at the champs, has played well for Sturt seniors since and is clearly a young gun on the rise. Butcher is obviously good but we havnt seen enough 'awsome' from him for too long now. Anyway Ive got alot of faith in Barry Prendergast so Id be satisfied if he takes Butcher.

Do you know anything about Butchers character? I have heard/read some slightly negative things but I dont know for myself.

Scott Thompson 3.0.... I dont want that to happen again.

i was talking to my mate who played with Butcher in the championships and he said butcher is a freak and that we should definately draft him. Said he is quite as a mouse and a really nice kid (my mate also barracks for the Demons so he wants us to make the right decision)

God this is a shit argument, not every player goes home.

I may as well say don't draft Butcher because he might want to get traded to Richmond in the future because he supported them growing up.

I'm a bit skeptical about Butcher being injured most of the year, that must be looked into.

I may as well say don't draft Butcher because he might want to get traded to Richmond in the future because he supported them growing up.

X2. Shit argument.

Butch's from the country. He might miss that lifestyle and go back and we won't even get to trade him for anything. :eek:

Sorry but I have to laugh at this guy saying Watts will be a good solid player.

Who won the 2008 Larke medal? Who was rated as the no.1 pick by something like 14 of the 16 recruiters?

Jack will be fine, can we just give him a few years? FFS, the guy is doing year 12 still and people are expecting 10 goal hauls.

Sorry but I have to laugh at this guy saying Watts will be a good solid player.

Who won the 2008 Larke medal? Who was rated as the no.1 pick by something like 14 of the 16 recruiters?

Jack will be fine, can we just give him a few years? FFS, the guy is doing year 12 still and people are expecting 10 goal hauls.

EXACTLY right DM.

It's nuts that anyone, especially some of our own fans, who should know better, would be running him down in this way - seems almost like they've been sucked in by the dementedly unfunny WCE trolls and their hangers-on...

Its a pretty rare scenario. He would have to desparately want to go back and Adeaide would also have to earn the first pick in the preseason draft to hold any muscle.

Not worth passing on every quality interstate player just because we got burnt with Thompson. Its a very small risk imo.

I'm a bit skeptical about Butcher being injured most of the year, that must be looked into.

Scully followed Richmond aswell :eek: lol

X3 shit argument.

Name all the interstate players that have never gone home, such as Viney, Obst, Stretch, Rivers, ... and not just from SA or our club. You could name hundreds.

Btw, an ex Board member told me that the main reason Thompson wanted to go 'home' is because of Daniher.

X3 shit argument.

Name all the interstate players that have never gone home, such as Viney, Obst, Stretch, Rivers, ... and not just from SA or our club. You could name hundreds.

Btw, an ex Board member told me that the main reason Thompson wanted to go 'home' is because of Daniher.

Don't forget one, Cale Morton.

Trade him before he decides to go home.

Interesting comment made about Tom on contested footy:

He is let down a little by how little he kicks and by his effectiveness when kicking. He also doesn’t kick as many goals as other midfielders and because of Geelong’s success this is expected of more and more midfielders.

Other than that it was all praise.

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2009/07/2009-draft-tom-scully.html

Kicking eff was at around 62%

Remove this Banner Ad

Scully a lock at Number 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back