Official Match Thread SEASON 33 GRAND FINAL: ROYS FFC V EAST SIDE PHOENIX at SFA PARK

Who will win the S33 SFA Grand Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't know you were from the US :) what got you into footy?! Did you ever play USAFL?

ESPN aired condensed 90 minute VFL games in the 1980s. I caught this approximately 1984 and was transfixed. Used to tape all the games I could find. Even tried to attend some international touring Aussie Rules in the L.A. Coliseum around 1987, but drove down there only to find out it was cancelled (pre-Internet days, remember).

COVID hit and Fox Sports was hungry to show something, so they started airing AFL games live. Don't ask me how I figured it out, but at some point in 2020 I programmed my DVR to slurp every AFL game aired in the US. Hooked again!

This time I decided to pick a side and for a number of reasons, chose Geelong, much to the chagrin of my Hawthorne-supporting Dragons brethren and sistren.

Never played footy, although my locale has a USAFL team (north carolina tigers | Australian Football Club). Maybe I'll check it out, although my exertion is more suited to SFA these days.

Silly Ozzies!
Isn’t it funny - the perception everyone from other countries has of the USA? 🤨😆

When I moved here, some woman waiting on me in a store asked if I came here because I didn’t feel safe in the United States.

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen

ESPN aired condensed 90 minute VFL games in the 1980s. I caught this approximately 1984 and was transfixed. Used to tape all the games I could find. Even tried to attend some international touring Aussie Rules in the L.A. Coliseum around 1987, but drove down there only to find out it was cancelled (pre-Internet days, remember).

COVID hit and Fox Sports was hungry to show something, so they started airing AFL games live. Don't ask me how I figured it out, but at some point in 2020 I programmed my DVR to slurp every AFL game aired in the US. Hooked again!

This time I decided to pick a side and for a number of reasons, chose Geelong, much to the chagrin of my Hawthorne-supporting Dragons brethren and sistren.

Never played footy, although my locale has a USAFL team (north carolina tigers | Australian Football Club). Maybe I'll check it out, although my exertion is more suited to SFA these days.
That's pretty cool! I always think our game must look either pretty funny or awesome to Americans used to NRL etc 🤣

I know a guy named Brian Barrish (met him via Livejournal years ago) who used to play for the Philly Hawks, and since retired from footy commentates games and writes articles about USAFL. He's also a huge supporter of AFLW as well.

That's pretty cool! I always think our game must look either pretty funny or awesome to Americans used to NRL etc 🤣

I know a guy named Brian Barrish (met him via Livejournal years ago) who used to play for the Philly Hawks, and since retired from footy commentates games and writes articles about USAFL. He's also a huge supporter of AFLW as well.
That's USAFL royalty!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arguably, there's more US support for rugby. But I don't know anything about rugby, other than watching a couple of major league rugby games (mostly Southern California where I grew up).

All the players look huge, muscular, but not athletic. That's another reason I prefer footy, it's fast and high scoring.

Ass-u-ming you meant "NFL," yeah Aussie Rules does not seem to have a huge amount of traction in the competitive US TV sports market. I would be lying if I said that AFL did not have an exotic appeal to me, simply because it's NOT gridiron football, rugby, or soccer. But footy stands alone in fast pace and high scoring.

I honestly think that the large field required for footy is one of the reasons it hasn't taken off in the States. Gridiron takes a much smaller space.

1627042404123-png.1184962

East Side Phoenix Official Team Sheet
Grand Final vs Roys FFC

B: Krazy Kris - Shermy - raskolnikov
HB: akkaps - eth-dog - daddy_4_eyes
C: Zoops - Agent93 - MannumPower
HF: Jack The Godfather - thewizardmelon - Le Grille
F: MC Bad Genius - Itsmyshow - Drunkgoliath
FOLL: larrikin - Chipmunk - por_please_ya
INT: Milera2Betts - jackenny

CHANGES:
raskolnikov INT > BP
Red mist BP > OUT
jackenny OUT > INT

#RISEUP
Commiserations on your loss this week. It surprises me you'd run with akkaps in your line-up.

A good friend of mine is still playing for Boston Demons in the USAFL actually. The standard there has improved dramatically the last decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread SEASON 33 GRAND FINAL: ROYS FFC V EAST SIDE PHOENIX at SFA PARK

Back