Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 01: Dragons FFC v Las Vegas Bears at Ljp86's Lair

Remove this Banner Ad

With silver service from our star studded engine room , not to mention JoseMourinho ’s marking /entry ability what could possibly go wrong? ;)

He’s Fred Vandelay_ for a reason
A lot could go wrong. But it is the dragons so we'll probably win anyways.

But why not keep things simple and fair and just play each other once, like we did in S34? A 13 round season would’ve allowed an early Dec finish with an actual offseason.

Stuff like three games in two weeks and the like just leads to midweek threads or playing two teams at once and we all saw how that worked out …

It’s not Clarkey’s fault. He put a lot of work into it and even redid the fixture when his shorter one (but not as short as 13 rounds) was rejected IIRC. I squarely blame the club/s who voted for the longer fixture

Because that's too short of a season. The optimum length of season in the SFA for some time now has been between 15-17 rounds, usually 16 or 17. In a 12-club competition, this was easy to do as there were no byes and the season would run for either 16 or 17 weeks plus four weeks of finals.

16 or 17 weeks provides 32-34 weeks out of a calendar year of 52 weeks where teams are guaranteed to play a game, and at a maximum that's just over 65% of the calendar year for the home and away season. Four weeks of finals ensures that some clubs play 21 weeks per season and a total of 42 weeks in a calendar year if a club makes back-to-back grand finals, which is close to 80% of the year. This allows for a small amount of downtime between seasons where clubs can complete their administrative work (B&F's, squad submissions, recruiting) while other competitions run (State of Origin) or there is a break of some sorts around Christmas/New Year.

A 13-game season, whilst fair means that clubs play 13 weeks per season (with one bye week taking that to 14 weeks). Over the course of a year, that's a total of 26 weeks of actual competition which is quite short and represents only 50% of the calendar year. Whilst teams playing finals have longer, clubs not playing finals would have too much downtime and an increased risk of inactivity.

With some innovative thinking, last season and this season could have been shorter by having some shorter timeframes between matches. State of Origin has proven this to be very workable and is a quick and easy solution to ensure the season shortens a little whilst still getting maximum engagement.

Because that's too short of a season. The optimum length of season in the SFA for some time now has been between 15-17 rounds, usually 16 or 17. In a 12-club competition, this was easy to do as there were no byes and the season would run for either 16 or 17 weeks plus four weeks of finals.

16 or 17 weeks provides 32-34 weeks out of a calendar year of 52 weeks where teams are guaranteed to play a game, and at a maximum that's just over 65% of the calendar year for the home and away season. Four weeks of finals ensures that some clubs play 21 weeks per season and a total of 42 weeks in a calendar year if a club makes back-to-back grand finals, which is close to 80% of the year. This allows for a small amount of downtime between seasons where clubs can complete their administrative work (B&F's, squad submissions, recruiting) while other competitions run (State of Origin) or there is a break of some sorts around Christmas/New Year.

A 13-game season, whilst fair means that clubs play 13 weeks per season (with one bye week taking that to 14 weeks). Over the course of a year, that's a total of 26 weeks of actual competition which is quite short and represents only 50% of the calendar year. Whilst teams playing finals have longer, clubs not playing finals would have too much downtime and an increased risk of inactivity.

With some innovative thinking, last season and this season could have been shorter by having some shorter timeframes between matches. State of Origin has proven this to be very workable and is a quick and easy solution to ensure the season shortens a little whilst still getting maximum engagement.
It's simple

Fold the Gumbies

I have lived in Vanuatu and Malaysia before, definitely preferred Melbourne to the two of them.

I know mate, just joshing you. I'm just shocked you haven't lived in Bangkok.

1626669572037 (1).png

Dragons FFC Official Team Sheet: Season 38, Round One versus Bears FFC

B: A Swallow / BringBackTheAnchor / Ge3ks
HB: Greenery / T2B_ / DragoDelph
C: Ligma / Blaze Storm / freo84
HF: Bradesmaen / Pickitt / Purple Jesus
F: Hatchy1992 / Bonz / Knifey Spoony
FOLL: Ljp86 / Drizzy / Pie 4 Life
INT: Chief / DJ75

once upon a time dragon GIF by HULU

Hatchy1992 and Knifey Spoony together in the pockets again, together with Bonz. The band is getting back together again! :thumbsu:

#subwayvouchers

Actually got to have bear stew once, was absolutely delicious.

It's also apparently very very good for you.

Well, I can bearly believe that.

How about we call the game off, hit the pub and call it a draw.

The Bears have already got a head start on the pub part of this equation. The Bear on the floor is SSSSSS, the rookie can't hold his liquor but a few more weeks with us and he will come good.

View attachment 2058441

Nice photo. First time that Art Vandelay_ has been that high off the ground, too.

Actually got to have bear stew once, was absolutely delicious.

It's also apparently very very good for you.
Hopefully it smelled better than our Las Vegas friends!

Hopefully it smelled better than our Las Vegas friends!
I guess I probably should stop bathing in this stuff, its clearly not working, I haven't seen a Moose anywhere lately.

moose musk.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conversely, having two long seasons back to back is what has caused the offseason to be this short. This has had flow on effects for everything from recruitment to BnFs .

42 weeks is too much, especially for the mid year break which already tends to be too short

The fairness of a 13 week + finals model is one thing, but it also takes away double ups. Double ups are generally not as good as original match threads, either quality or quantity wise.

The “innovation” you speak of was tried last season with midweek threads and it didn’t work well as the lack of consistency /a reliable time also resulted in a huge drop off . I love SoO more than most but all the matches except for our first one and the GF were very rushed and that impacted my ability to engage as much as I wanted to. A glance at the contributors list showed that others were in that boat too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38, Round 01: Dragons FFC v Las Vegas Bears at Ljp86's Lair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back