Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you consider a fullsize keyboard?

Honestly? The IBM monster that Over The Post mentioned.

That said, most of the time I'm using a HP Victus laptop with a 16" screen, or a Dell Precision with a 15" screen. Neither have a "fullsize" keyboard, but they're easy to touch type on.

The Eee PC was the smallest KB I could easily use, Wikipedia says "The 1000 series, as it fits in a more spacious case, has 92% of a full size keyboard, where the Q–P keys measure 175 mm (6.89 in)."

That said, I bought a couple of these wireless jobs for debugging and occasional use, and typing is pretty comfy on them:

Including touchpad, it's 394mm wide.

And when i’m using my iPad, I use a bluetooth keyboard that looks like this & it measures roughly 20cm x 12cm. It cost me $10 on clearance, and in the 2.5years I’ve owned it I’ve had to recharge it once - no idea how that works considering it’s meant to have a battery life of about 40hrs and it defintely gets used for an hour or two (maybe more) most days

Nice!

The only one that came close IMO was the Northgate Omnikey Ultra, I was sent a pre-production freebie when I was editing Computing Today but it was let down by a buggy chip that caaused randdom keyy bounce isssues. You can imagine the effect that had on pre-spell-checker article writing. They fixed it based on feedback but they never sent me an updated one.

Ha! One job I had long ago was software engineering for a startup company developing a fiber-to-the-curb/fiber-to-the-home access network system. This was essentially pre-Internet, so it was targeted at telcos and cable franchises. Had embedded standards-based telephone service and a proprietary video distribution system. I got to do the TV box firmware, and one of the more difficult, fiddly jobs was figuring out how to debounce the ****ing remote control keys. I was literally clocking the received IR pulses in software. Fun!

Hey I remember the eee pc. My friend was going to buy one but ended up not for some reason.

I do like the idea of the new Samsung flip phones for larger screens, but if I'm watching YouTube or whatever where you audit benefit then just chuck it in the TV.

Pretty much all my footy is cast from my phone or tablet to a TV. Big fan of Android/Google TV, since it supports embedded Chromecast (plus I can install Kodi for all my local files).

Now i think i might watch this in small portions , but it's been twenty nine years since the launch of Windows 95.

You need to get yourself some DR-DOS, buddy! :joycat:

Good afternoon, morning or good night depending on where your time zone is. It's a lovely afternoon here and that means this.:D

05543.jpg
giphy.gif

Even though it's raining.

Ha ha ha the floppy disks there's a blast from the past.:laughv1:

I can still beat my own joke... during college, at one particular employer I got to use a homebrewed Altair clone based on the Intel 8080 micro running CP/M. It had Wordstar which I used a lot, also some spreadsheet program I can't remember. But everything ran off single sided 8" floppies!

Jebus, what a world.

Don't count- Australians eat more Pav, I mean there is only , what ? 12 thousand people in Kiwi land ?
Or are you counting the 2 million kiwis in Aus ?
it depends if you include Bondi, which is NZ's most populated city

IBM model M keyboard. Bought new in 1987 and still in use every day. Typing on it as we speak.

View attachment 2095096
Yes that pic was done around 11 years ago. Hate to think how many millions of times my fingers have hit the keys.
At the risk of being that guy, they dont make them like they used to

I use my desktop, iPad & iPhone and will switch between devices depending on what I’m trying to do

I remember when studying a few years ago & putting together a PowerPoint slide, I was working on it between my computer & iPad but ended up preferring my iPad as the PP application had some really cool features that worked more intuitively than the computer version

Excel is probably the main program I prefer to use on a desktop or at the very least use the desktop to create new docs, especially when they are slightly more involved as some features just donot work the same on the iPad or phone. But once it’s created I don’t mind completing the work on the ipad as I’ll often create cheat cells which I can copy & paste if I’m wanting things like lists within a cell

As long as I have access to some form of cloud storage it all works well switching between devices
The only thing I own of apple is their shares.

And in a reverse Warren Buffet philosophy the reason I own the shares is the reason I dont own the products, they suck you into their expensive infrastructure and you cant get out.

Android all the way.

Honestly? The IBM monster that Over The Post mentioned.

That said, most of the time I'm using a HP Victus laptop with a 16" screen, or a Dell Precision with a 15" screen. Neither have a "fullsize" keyboard, but they're easy to touch type on.

The Eee PC was the smallest KB I could easily use, Wikipedia says "The 1000 series, as it fits in a more spacious case, has 92% of a full size keyboard, where the Q–P keys measure 175 mm (6.89 in)."

That said, I bought a couple of these wireless jobs for debugging and occasional use, and typing is pretty comfy on them:

Including touchpad, it's 394mm wide.

Nice!
try using a keyboard with huge pink fingers :mad:

keyboard.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only thing I own of apple is their shares.

And in a reverse Warren Buffet philosophy the reason I own the shares is the reason I dont own the products, they suck you into their expensive infrastructure and you cant get out.

Android all the way.

For me it's what I had access to when a youngster & have grown up on - been using them since I was 10 as that's what we had at school in our computer room and been natural to stick with them, but majority of work environments it's been Windows based operating systems

I definitely find it valuable to have an understanding of both, even simple things like knowing different keyboard shortcuts depending on OS, being able to use Microsoft Office across both etc

I've worked work some are completely lost in front of computers - Baby Boomer generation with simple no idea, but also high school graduates because it's a different OS to what they're used to or they've only used a computer for the very basics

[Apple] suck you into their expensive infrastructure and you cant get out.

Android all the way.

All very true. Unfortunately, with every change Android creeps ever closer to the Apple 'walled garden' ecosystem. Getting more and more difficult all the time to make system calls for completely legit reasons. It's the main reason I didn't pursue more Android development after our network test product got sold off.

I might play with Android development again for my own little toy projects, we shall see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back