Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

A few years ago I was encouraging my mum (post retirement age) to upgrade her phone to a proper smartphone - so she could take photos with it, send photos, receive photos etc and have it be more usable than her phone that was probably 6/8 years old

My brother was all like, "I'll buy you a Samsung like mine, I'll get a discount through Telstra and can put you on my plan" blah blah blah - mum was more than capable of paying for her own phone & plan mind you

I spoke to get on the side and asked what she actually wanted to do because she would receive my hand-me-down Macs when I upgraded, so was use to Apple and I let her play with my phone & she was comfortable with it

It pissed my brother off when I got mum a slightly older model iPhone Max, and he couldn't grasp the idea of her not wanting to learn a new system at her age

People need to understand that what works for one person won't work for everyone, and that includes everyone in the same family, do I don't get buying or gifting tech that you know someone doesn't use - a work environment is obviously a different situation
Yeah, I seem to be a "go to" for a few people around here, as I just try to do what works, keep it simple, don't push my preferences.
Not everyone want's to keep up with the Jones,

Mind you I'm just simple Kenney - still remember the look on the salesman's face when I was buying my first phone, he was extolling the virtues/features. whiz bang wizardry options-he was stumped when I said-' I just want a phone so I can talk to people"

A few years ago I was encouraging my mum (post retirement age) to upgrade her phone to a proper smartphone - so she could take photos with it, send photos, receive photos etc and have it be more usable than her phone that was probably 6/8 years old

My brother was all like, "I'll buy you a Samsung like mine, I'll get a discount through Telstra and can put you on my plan" blah blah blah - mum was more than capable of paying for her own phone & plan mind you

I spoke to get on the side and asked what she actually wanted to do because she would receive my hand-me-down Macs when I upgraded, so was use to Apple and I let her play with my phone & she was comfortable with it

It pissed my brother off when I got mum a slightly older model iPhone Max, and he couldn't grasp the idea of her not wanting to learn a new system at her age

People need to understand that what works for one person won't work for everyone, and that includes everyone in the same family, do I don't get buying or gifting tech that you know someone doesn't use - a work environment is obviously a different situation
I understand his frustration.
making your mum use the Apple system should be against the geneva convention..

Yeah, I seem to be a "go to" for a few people around here, as I just try to do what works, keep it simple, don't push my preferences.
Not everyone want's to keep up with the Jones,

Mind you I'm just simple Kenney - still remember the look on the salesman's face when I was buying my first phone, he was extolling the virtues/features. whiz bang wizardry options-he was stumped when I said-' I just want a phone so I can talk to people"

The best phone I ever owned was a Nokia I got from 7/11 in Canada - $100 credit with a Nokia phone thrown in for free

It was great when travelling around Canada, I kept it when I returned home to use for future overseas holidays - the battery lasted at least a week & it was reliable

We've won two out of the last three premierships. Do you really want us to tamper with a system that seems to be working out very well for us?🤔

Two out of the last three premierships hey, geez we're good.

We're building nicely, the Gumbies will be another step to premiership three for us.

The team that won the other one is pretty good too.

All of the last 3 premiers in this room, what a thread full of talent this must be! 😍

Factual.
GWS Goose's gin and tonic is never without fresh lime. We won't revisit that harrowing time in early-2022 where Goose had to fetch their own citrus for their drink.
Did he make a media thread out of it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm twice the forward of Baz, and half the flog!
giphy.gif

I can still beat my own joke... during college, at one particular employer I got to use a homebrewed Altair clone based on the Intel 8080 micro running CP/M. It had Wordstar which I used a lot, also some spreadsheet program I can't remember. But everything ran off single sided 8" floppies!
IBM 38xx printers and System/390 mainframes used 8" floppies right up until they were end-of-life in the mid-00s.

Never did any 8080 stuff, Z80 was my entry point. I thought CP/M* was the bees knees. And when I discovered Infocom games all had common executables and just big text files for the game itself... pip* was working overtime! Leather Goddesses of Phobos ahoy!

* For the non-nerds, CP/M was Control Program for Microcomputers (the original disk operating system) and pip was Peripheral Interchange Program which was how you got data on and off the floppies

Grazeland for feed & drink
Paying to get in, in order to buy expensive food from hawker stalls, is anathema to me. Just sayin'.

We've got one in Werribee, it's a fenced car park with about a dozen food vans. Doesn't cost to get in, you get a bewildering choice of food from the subcontinent with salmonella thrown in gratis. Free entertainment is provided by arrivals stopping dead in the middle of Heaths Rd and departures pulling out into the stream of traffic without looking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back