Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh no

I'm being
Halloween Im Out GIF by Christopher Pindling

Maybe I should STFU and stop here as well.

Yeah, give her time to blow off her steam...

I guess I don't...
IBM model M keyboard. Bought new in 1987 and still in use every day. Typing on it as we speak.

ibm_keyboard25.jpg
Yes that pic was done around 11 years ago. Hate to think how many millions of times my fingers have hit the keys.

I am not sure I get the joke
I cannot think of any other reason why anyone would eschew the use of a Computer and voluntarily choose a Device with a tiny screen. It is... unseemly.

I am certain my keyboard wouldn't plug into a phone. I can type on it almost as fast as I can speak, can't do that on a phone.

I cannot think of any other reason why anyone would eschew the use of a Computer and voluntarily choose a Device with a tiny screen. It is... unseemly.

I am certain my keyboard wouldn't plug into a phone. I can type on it almost as fast as I can speak, can't do that on a phone.
I just have a NBN landline, it has a volume control, don't need anything else-would have been handy remembering that before today thou.

IBM model M keyboard. Bought new in 1987 and still in use every day. Typing on it as we speak.

View attachment 2095096
Yes that pic was done around 11 years ago. Hate to think how many millions of times my fingers have hit the keys.

I remember them well. Have used, but never owned one. Too much of a tightwad to spring for Big Blue components.

Probably because I don't have to even be at home to do anything on it.

Yeah I'm not phrasing this well am I

Probably because I don't have to even be at home to do anything on it.

Pocket portability is definitely a plus for the phone.

I just love a bigger screen and touch typing. Laptop PC is my ideal device, although I went through a period of adoring my Eee PC 1000:

Bigger than pocket size, about the size of a smallish hardback novel. Keyboard size was just enough to support decent typing. Loved that thing, it was perfect for remote debugging network equipment. Hell, I still have it on a shelf, although it's ancient tech even by my admittedly tightwad standards. (If I want to upgrade the Linux OS, I'll have to roll my own as it is 32 bit only.)

The entire netbook market segment was destroyed by tablets.

I just use a laptop plugged into a 32" TV that a neighbour was throwing out because he tripped over and pulled the antenna socket out- with a wireless keyboard, Much more comfortable sitting on the couch and can still watch footy on my TV next to it.

I just love a bigger screen and touch typing. Laptop PC is my ideal device, although I went through a period of adoring my Eee PC 1000:

Bigger than pocket size, about the size of a smallish hardback novel. Keyboard size was just enough to support decent typing. Loved that thing, it was perfect for remote debugging network equipment. Hell, I still have it on a shelf, although it's ancient tech even by my admittedly tightwad standards. (If I want to upgrade the Linux OS, I'll have to roll my own as it is 32 bit only.)

That, and I prefer having a full keyboard on which to type. Phone input methods universally suck ass.

What do you consider a fullsize keyboard?

The ones that now come with Apple computers are the ‘Magic Keyboard’ which is a condensed version:
1724850049424.png

And when i’m using my iPad, I use a bluetooth keyboard that looks like this & it measures roughly 20cm x 12cm. It cost me $10 on clearance, and in the 2.5years I’ve owned it I’ve had to recharge it once - no idea how that works considering it’s meant to have a battery life of about 40hrs and it defintely gets used for an hour or two (maybe more) most days

1724850311640.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just use a laptop plugged into a 32" TV that a neighbour was throwing out because he tripped over and pulled the antenna socket out- with a wireless keyboard, Much more comfortable sitting on the couch and can still watch footy on my TV next to it.
Use it via voice to text as well, so I have subtitles from phone on my TV as well-the whole setup cost me $0,just some left field thinking.

I actually can't imagine using a personal computer for anything. I haven't really owned and used one in like 8-10 years.

I have a work laptop which I use for work obviously, literally everything now is just built to work from your phone.

I use my desktop, iPad & iPhone and will switch between devices depending on what I’m trying to do

I remember when studying a few years ago & putting together a PowerPoint slide, I was working on it between my computer & iPad but ended up preferring my iPad as the PP application had some really cool features that worked more intuitively than the computer version

Excel is probably the main program I prefer to use on a desktop or at the very least use the desktop to create new docs, especially when they are slightly more involved as some features just donot work the same on the iPad or phone. But once it’s created I don’t mind completing the work on the ipad as I’ll often create cheat cells which I can copy & paste if I’m wanting things like lists within a cell

As long as I have access to some form of cloud storage it all works well switching between devices

Phones are handy, no doubt. But they blow chunks for actually doing anything useful, IMO.

One modern trend in tech that I can't stand: abandoning web browser interfaces in favor of phone apps.

How many of you review app permissions before installing? Why does my credit card provider app need access to my phone's location, or my contact list?

View attachment 2095084

That I agree with and where possible I turn off all permissions in terms of location setting, access to other info etc

Surely ‘Swipe’ is the easiest “typing” method for a phone or tablet, or at least when one doesn’t have a keyboard connected

Before getting my first iPad, I had one of those computers with it’s primary use being for travel because it was much lighter in weight than a standard laptop & made it a more convenient option for basic operations when in foreign lands

For a long time I had a desktop for home & netbook for travel - for a good number of years I resisted the urge to buy a smartphone or tablet as I didn’t really see the value in them. I had a useable phone which I called my “dumb smartphone” as it was a very basic smart phone but basically shit itself when doing anything beyond photo - though I could drop it on concrete, have the cover come off which I could pop back on & basically all but runover it without the screen cracking or breaking

The first aspect to break was when my netbook got old, slow etc & I opted to replace it with an ipad mini, though I held out another year or two before my first iphone

I remember them well. Have used, but never owned one. Too much of a tightwad to spring for Big Blue components.
There's companies selling refurbished ones for around $400.

The only one that came close IMO was the Northgate Omnikey Ultra, I was sent a pre-production freebie when I was editing Computing Today but it was let down by a buggy chip that caaused randdom keyy bounce isssues. You can imagine the effect that had on pre-spell-checker article writing. They fixed it based on feedback but they never sent me an updated one.

Hey I remember the eee pc. My friend was going to buy one but ended up not for some reason.

I do like the idea of the new Samsung flip phones for larger screens, but if I'm watching YouTube or whatever where you audit benefit then just chuck it in the TV.

I actually grew up just inches away from the border with county Waterford, so i would have rellos there.

Waterford like Cork shares a border with Tipperary as well and Tipperary is Robertio ancestors country.

Anyway there's no sound on this, but it's a video here of someone driving along the quayside in Waterford City in summer 1991.

I would've had Drive by the Cars as the music on it just to give some sense of nostalgic atmosphere to the video.

Waterford is more of a large town than a city with a population of 50 thousand people, but it's the oldest urban area in Ireland.

A few things i take from that video 33 years later and as recently as last week there was roadworks on the quayside, so as they say the more things change the more they stay the same!

Seeing that it was a cloudy miserable evening you wouldn't think it was summer even by Irish standards!:laughv1:

Also i much prefer the cars of the late 80's and early 90's to the modern ones but that's just me. It's a nice place though and well worth a visit for the night at the very least imo.

Last edited:

View attachment 2095096
Amazing almost 40 years of service and still working as good as ever. My god a hell of a lot of water has flown under the bridge since 1987!

I use the phone version of Big Footy occasionally. I have a smart phone and a tablet, but i still prefer the old fashioned and traditional desktop computer at the end of the day.

Typing on a phone is bit of a nightmare imo, although i find it to be ok on the tablet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back