Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a 1994 television that survived for almost twenty years before packing it in. There's no way a modern plasma screen/LED one would survive that long!

Exactly! I can’t even get a phone that isn’t slowed down drastically after 5 years now, whereas my first Garmin is 10yo and still kicking so I’m told!

I had a 1994 television that survived for almost twenty years before packing it in. There's no way a modern plasma screen/LED one would survive that long!
I think the LED telivisions last a bit longer, the Plasma's get to hot.

Going back to this talk about old computing technology, well my old man did spend many years as an assembly line operator at Digital Equipment Corporation aka DEC.

They were an American company but their main factory for Europe was in Ireland. This video here shows one of the companies computers from 1987.

This type of computer was manufactured for usage in libraries.

My uncle got us a home computer in 1982, very early for a home computer, it was texas instruments.

I remember clearly despite being a very young tacker our neighbours watching in awe as they did some really basic word processing a very basic spreadsheet.

Like everyone else we got a commondore 64 a couple years later

I think this has been mentioned, but I had to explain to a late primary school kid what a landline was 😂

When I was in highschool, my mum had to get a new landline port installed in my bedroom so I could use the internet on my computer - decided it was the better option than running a 10m+ cable through the house

Bet the younger generation would look at this thing in the wall beside the power point and have no clue

I’d love to see young people trying to use these old style computers - no TikTok or games? Guess we’ll actually have to do real work without distractions 😂
pre minesweeper and solitaire at least

I'm pretty sure the family's old Commodore 64 is still stored somewhere

While this was the first computer I had growing up - mum bought it off my brother when his business venture didn't work & it was a way of helping him out with some mone

Still got this one but not sure it's worth much

1724983231329.jpeg

Totally agree - Flanders was incredible, no look. Collins wasn’t as good this year as previous years, still no AA. Xerri was better than Gawn, but Max gets the nod. Plus Giants as you’ve mentioned.

It’s a headline grabber and nothing more - I’d care more if we played anyone but no one plays us internationally so meh
Yeah, don't understand how Flanders doesn't get picked

Jovial is not the word I'd use to describe the result.
Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Beaten to a finals spot by a Carlton team that stumbled into them like a drunk coming back home at 5 am!:laughv1:

I think we can have a decent crack at the Lions if we get some of the troops back from injury.

I know some Dockers fans don't like the Blues (who doesn't lol!), but i wouldn't begrudge the Dockers a flag at all.

Speaking of this old stuff. I do some mentoring, and last year a year 11 kid referred to something from the 90's as late last century.
Accurate, yet hurtful.
As someone who's still a 90's and 00's kid at heart, yeah that line kind of stings so it does.

I think the LED telivisions last a bit longer, the Plasma's get to hot.
I just gave me LED tv to my nephew, I got it in about 2005 or 2006, still going strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just gave me LED tv to my nephew, I got it in about 2005 or 2006, still going strong.
I've had one 3 years and I'm happy with that, the Plasma i had before that which was an LG lasted 2 years and was never used during the day just 3 or 4 hours at night.

I'm pretty sure the family's old Commodore 64 is still stored somewhere

While this was the first computer I had growing up - mum bought it off my brother when his business venture didn't work & it was a way of helping him out with some mone

Still got this one but not sure it's worth much

View attachment 2096455

This is definitely pre-minesweeper (and pre wizardmelon too I’d say!)

Speaking of this old stuff. I do some mentoring, and last year a year 11 kid referred to something from the 90's as late last century.
Accurate, yet hurtful.

Someone said we are closer to 2050 than 1990 to me last week and that really didn’t feel great 😂

Also kids born in 2007 can drive this year 🤯

It had a release date of May 1995
no minesweeper is much earlier than that, Id guess around 1990 to say 1992. I was addicted before 1994, it severely distracted my assignments for half a decade !

Someone said we are closer to 2050 than 1990 to me last week and that really didn’t feel great 😂

Also kids born in 2007 can drive this year 🤯
It's amazing to me that September 11 and Bali are (almost) 23 and 22 years ago respectively. My primary school brain didn't fully comprehend how huge they were at the time, but boy did they change many aspects of our lives then and ongoing.

/11 It's amazing to me that September 11 and Bali are (almost) 23 and 22 years ago respectively. My primary school brain didn't fully comprehend how huge they were at the time, but boy did they change many aspects of our lives then and ongoing.
I was on a footy trip in Bali a year to the day before the bombings. ( was in a shout with Ben Cousins as an aside)
This was around a month after the twin towers coming down. A lot of clubs cancelled their trips that year, I remember thinking there was no way they'd attack Bali. We were on a trip in Byron Bay with many who were in Bali the year before, when we woke up to news about Bali bombings. My blood ran cold, it was way too close to home. A number of the teams that were caught up in the bombings such as North Melbourne and the Coogee wombats were there when we were there.

I also remember watching Conan O'Brien and they went to the planes hitting the building for a couple minutes me and my brother we saying this isnt funny, what is this skit, than we realised it was real. I watched the second plane hit the building in real time.
Ill never forget either of those moments. The 9/11 memorial is very emotional and feels way to real for me. (and many of my age I imagine)

It's amazing to me that September 11 and Bali are (almost) 23 and 22 years ago respectively. My primary school brain didn't fully comprehend how huge they were at the time, but boy did they change many aspects of our lives then and ongoing.
Yeah i was at work on Sep11 and heard it on the 10pm news went home and it was on every tv station 24/7 for about a week.

no minesweeper is much earlier than that, Id guess around 1990 to say 1992. I was addicted before 1994, it severely distracted my assignments for half a decade !

So it would have had mine sweeper

I also remember my brother loading 'Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing' onto it - being a nerd, I treated that as a game and taught myself how to type as a youngster - definitely was handy going into highschool

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back