Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

No internet on them either mate. They don't even have text messaging.:laughv1: Still though people survived regardless.
Well, no WWW but they certainly had internet... don't get me and Braklet started :D

usenet
uucp and nntp
dialup
email bang paths

unix dilbert.png

When I was in highschool, my mum had to get a new landline port installed in my bedroom so I could use the internet on my computer - decided it was the better option than running a 10m+ cable through the house

Bet the younger generation would look at this thing in the wall beside the power point and have no clue
I had seven landlines to my house - one for the phone and six for the BBS I ran. Had to jump through hoops to prove I wasn't a business trying to get cheap line rental. Talked intelligently to the tech who did the installation and learned about hunt groups - they could configure it at the exchange so that instead of having six numbers to call the BBS, they could just call the main number and be connected to the next free line.

I also remember watching Conan O'Brien and they went to the planes hitting the building for a couple minutes me and my brother we saying this isnt funny, what is this skit, than we realised it was real. I watched the second plane hit the building in real time.
I'd bought a decent pair of computer speakers and moved my old ones to the TV. Impressed with the sound, was just channel surfing taking in the audio compared to the tinny TV speakers when I brought up CNN and saw the smoke coming out of WTC1. Stayed glued to the TV until about 3am. Young 'uns have no idea how much the world changed that day - and not for the better.

My Mom made me take typing in high school. At the time I thought it was dumb, but boy howdy, am I glad I can touch type.

Came in really handy for the computer science degree & career.
I was looking for a job around 1998 and went to an office recruiter (female) who apologetically sat me in front of an IBM Selectric golf ball typewriter and had me do copy typing with a piece of paper over the keys. "I'm not expecting much, its just to say we've done it, have a go and see what you can do."

45wpm with only a couple of typos. Should have seen her mouth 😲

I've worked with too many people that if things didn't work the first time, they'd decide it was too hard and leave it for someone else
People laugh at the IT Crowd "turn it off and turn it on again" - you'd be amazed at how many printing problems were solved over the phone by "is it plugged in, switched on, has paper and is online?"

Still got caught out one day - couldn't fix it over the phone, drove round to the customer's house - the printer was plugged in and switched on all right, just not switched on at the ****ing wall.

People laugh at the IT Crowd "turn it off and turn it on again" - you'd be amazed at how many printing problems were solved over the phone by "is it plugged in, switched on, has paper and is online?"

Still got caught out one day - couldn't fix it over the phone, drove round to the customer's house - the printer was plugged in and switched on all right, just not switched on at the ****ing wall.

The first step in any IT issues - turn it off, go & get a coffee and when you come back you then turn it back on

The first step in any IT issues - turn it off, go & get a coffee and when you come back you then turn it back on
You don't threaten the device with violence as part of the process?

You don't threaten the device with violence as part of the process?

That too - but if you threaten too well, then it can have unfortunate consequences...

The first ever phone I owned was a Sagem - Coca Cola & Vodafone had a promotion so it cost about $50. I was one of the first in my friendship group at school to have a phone & this thing vibrated, so it was apparently pretty cool but really it was a bit meh

After a couple of years I decided I needed to update it as I was also heading off to uni. So I come home with my new phone and within minutes my old one shit itself, turned itself off and never turned back on - it obviously deemed the new phone a threat & wanted nothing to do with it

My son had an iphone when he was about 15 (may have been one of my castoffs, can't remember). There was a loud crash from his bedroom one night and I ran in. Nope, nothing wrong. Was walking out when I noticed all the shards of broken glass on his doona cover... apparently aimed it on the bed and instead yeeted it into the metal bunk frame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I called IT support about 15 years ago and he asked if I had power cycledit, I said I didnt know how, he preceded to explain to me how to turn it off and on again..I said, oh , yes I did restart the computer.

there is a market for everything.

A girl I know who is in her late 40's and famously a good sport reckons she makes about $5K a month on only fans through subscriptions and personal requests.

Nothin' wrong with MILFs, buddy.

What I don't understand is this infernal fascination with step-family sexual antics, just too weird for me.

As I said to him, I've been using them longer than he's been alive and that I'll play around on them to learn how to do different things. If I'm trying to do something and it's not working, I'll turn to Google for answers - I've worked with too many people that if things didn't work the first time, they'd decide it was too hard and leave it for someone else

Willingness to try is a major factor in mechanical stuff like automotive or HVAC repair, too.

We need more people with the DIY urge, too many just want to rely on others' wizardry.

Well, no WWW but they certainly had internet... don't get me and Braklet started :D

usenet
uucp and nntp
dialup
email bang paths

View attachment 2096763

LOL...

My previous employer whom I mentioned earlier was overrun with those scruffy ex-hippies with questionable hygiene, but wonderful UNIX skillz.

While I use a Windoze laptop for reasons, I also roll my own home servers for various things. Every one of them runs my preferred Ubuntu Linux. Hell, all my Windoze boxen have various Linux VMs available for use as well. I still purposely use the vi editor simply to keep my skills up and because it's ubiquitous.

One good thing about Win10/11 is WSL, very handy.

While I use a Windoze laptop for reasons, I also roll my own home servers for various things. Every one of them runs my preferred Ubuntu Linux.

Except for the Raspberry Pis, most run Tiny Core Linux and one has Raspbian or whatever they're calling that Debian distro these days.

I had seven landlines to my house - one for the phone and six for the BBS I ran. Had to jump through hoops to prove I wasn't a business trying to get cheap line rental. Talked intelligently to the tech who did the installation and learned about hunt groups - they could configure it at the exchange so that instead of having six numbers to call the BBS, they could just call the main number and be connected to the next free line.

FidoNet?

I still do this a lot, especially with my Raspberry Pi based music streamers.

Biggest problem I've had with those is they hunt around for the "best" WLAN connection. This is... not good when they're sitting between two access points and switching. Only way to temporarily bring them back is the old switchoff/on routine.

I started setting up WLANs on a single AP as a workaround... no more switcheroo.

I'd bought a decent pair of computer speakers and moved my old ones to the TV. Impressed with the sound, was just channel surfing taking in the audio compared to the tinny TV speakers when I brought up CNN and saw the smoke coming out of WTC1. Stayed glued to the TV until about 3am. Young 'uns have no idea how much the world changed that day - and not for the better.
It was the day the innocence of the 90's ended. I reckon the us authorities probably should've been better prepared for that imo. Although at the same time nobody could've anticipated an attack of that magnitude.

The warning signs were there though after that original attack on the world trade centre in 1993. There was once a time when you could actually board a plane, without dealing with stringent security checks.

I remember coming back home from school that day to be told what was going on in New York. A seismic moment indeed that changed the entire landscape of the world forever.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Match Thread Season 38 Round 6 - Ophidian Old Boys v Gumbies FFC @ Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back