See the Bombers fly up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would it?

Watson and Goddard would have to be very good for the next few years to see you climb up the ladder. Highly doubtful with both getting on in age.

Impressed by the likes of Merrett, Parish and Daniher, but that's only three players. You've had better lists and been absolutely nowhere.
If we do get better in 2017, it's very unlikely to be Watson and Goddard driving it.

I kind of feel like you're talking about Essendon list-wise like it's still 2013.

You can add Fantasia,Laverde,Tippa,Langford,Francis to the list plus will be adding some more from this years draft if anything our list is in it's best shape for a long time imo.
You can add in the fact the team is going to struggle to mesh next year. Having players out for a year, away from the club as well is a big thing to deal with.

I rate some of Essendon's youngsters, and their potential to take the club somewhere in the future, but I don't see that happening next year. Will be similar to what we saw in 2014/15 I think.

You can add in the fact the team is going to struggle to mesh next year. Having players out for a year, away from the club as well is a big thing to deal with.

I rate some of Essendon's youngsters, and their potential to take the club somewhere in the future, but I don't see that happening next year. Will be similar to what we saw in 2014/15 I think.
The team meshing back together is without a doubt the big unknown. How long will it take, how much re-adaption has to happen?

Hard to say.

For the record, I see us finishing anywhere from about 7-13.

If we do get better in 2017, it's very unlikely to be Watson and Goddard driving it.

I kind of feel like you're talking about Essendon list-wise like it's still 2013.
I don't see the likes of Merrett doing better than what Watson, Goddard etc did in 2014 as leaders of the club.

I'm very aware that Essendon is now a lot different, but this isn't just a case of a team putting the banned players back in and seeing instant improvement on what they had done beforehand, purely because their younger players are getting better now.

There's a lot of discussion of Essendon (maybe not from supporters on here) but in the media and on other areas of the internet, talking them up like they're going to be 2014 good with the added bonus of the talented youngsters. Can't see that being the case.

Why would it?

Watson and Goddard would have to be very good for the next few years to see you climb up the ladder. Highly doubtful with both getting on in age.

Impressed by the likes of Merrett, Parish and Daniher, but that's only three players. You've had better lists and been absolutely nowhere.
On the contrary, our list will be better than it's been since probably 2004. The only edge the 2014/2013 team has over our team heading into 2017 is at CHF or at CHB (wherever Hooker doesn't play) and possibly in the ruck with Ryder's departure. Our midfield and ground level talent has never been better nor deeper.

On the contrary, our list will be better than it's been since probably 2004. The only edge the 2014/2013 team has over our team heading into 2017 is at CHF or at CHB (wherever Hooker doesn't play) and possibly in the ruck with Ryder's departure. Our midfield and ground level talent has never been better nor deeper.
You're also filled with inexperience.

Having more talent than any other Bomber side since 2004 really isn't saying a lot.

You're also filled with inexperience.
Not anymore than previously. Back in those days guys like Melksham, Carlisle and Heppell hadn't had a lot of games under their belt, and we were still leaning heavily on guys like Ben Howlett who were new to the AFL system. Even guys like Langford and Laverde are coming up on their third season which only leaves a handful of really new guys like Parish, Francis, maybe Redman and maybe some pick ups for this year.

Having more talent than any other Bomber side since 2004 really isn't saying a lot.
It's like when we make a big deal about beating Carlton; doesn't mean a lot but it's sure fun to say.

The team meshing back together is without a doubt the big unknown. How long will it take, how much re-adaption has to happen?

Hard to say.

For the record, I see us finishing anywhere from about 7-13.
Agree

List balance is good
Will get better with this draft/trade period by nature of the position we are in
Defence and Mids are good.
Forward line got better in 2017, and Colyer coming back will add more goals/attacking play.
Still need a FF and ruck depth. Josh Jenkins would have been ideal. Or Lobb. that sort of player.

Will have a soft draw and i expect after 2 WA visits, 2 SA visits & 2 NSW visits to top 4 teams, our interstate trips will be cut down and include the QLD clubs (given we all finished bottom 4).

7th if all goes perfect
13th if not.

I think Fremantle was the only club on record to trade pick 1. It certainly backfired when in 2004 Croad was back at Hawthorn. Essentially got nothing in the end. This is the same club that didn't like the look of Andrew McLeod because he had an earring.

Probably a good thing, Judd to Pavlich would have been a nightmare for any opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The year out is the big unknown but seeing the condition and attitude with which the banned Bombers have returned it is likely they will fit back in to AFL footy fairly quickly. Throw in 4 top 20 picks in the last 2 years along with another 2 or 3 this year plus Daniher and there is a lot of talent at the club. Seems strange that they came last due to drug suspensions this year and still get the #1 pick but with all the above a 5 to 8 finish is highly possible next year.

Missing Carlisle, Melksham, and Hibberd from the backline won't help, bottom four for mine.
Carlisle => Hartley.
Hibberd => Francis.
Melksham never played defence for us. was always a mid. wasn't a huge loss.
Parish takes his spot

All in all, our list is better in 2017 than it was in 2014, 2015 or 2016.

Why would it?

Laverde, Langford, Francis, Fantasia, Hurley, Hooker, Heppell, Zaharakis, Merrett, Daniher, Parish, Colyer, Hartley all with a LOT of footy left.

That's the core of a VERY good side.

Missing Carlisle, Melksham, and Hibberd from the backline won't help, bottom four for mine.

Carlisle was played as a forward and Melksham is a midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

See the Bombers fly up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back