• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

FF: Welsh, M. Stevens, Biglands
HF: Burton, Hentschel, Edwards

3 tall marking targets.
1 good leading forward.
1 small crumber.
1 Burton.

Hardest to pick - and for all the wrong reasons! There's a real dearth of quality crumbers

FF Welsh Stevens Bode (very reluctantly)
HF Hentschel Perrie (Yuk!) Johncock

Watts to play the other 3 weeks a month when Stevens is out

Kane McGoodwin said:
At the moment the forward line is looking like:

F: Welsh, M Stevens, Burton
HF: Johncock, Perrie, Hentschel

If Stevo is playing in 2005, it will be a huge bonus.
When you look at all the options we're not in as bad a shape as everyone says.
But the critical structural difference Stevens makes is enormous at this stage.
Without him no matter what the configuration the set-up seems to lack muscle and firepower.

FF: Mcleod M.Stevens Welsh
HF: Johncock Watts Hentschel

Lets face it. We are not a premiership contender for a couple of years. we may as well spend that time giving Watts and Hentschel plenty of experience. I would persevere with this one for as long as possible.

Wood_Duck said:
FF: Mcleod M.Stevens Welsh
HF: Johncock Watts Hentschel

Lets face it. We are not a premiership contender for a couple of years. we may as well spend that time giving Watts and Hentschel plenty of experience. I would persevere with this one for as long as possible.
Watts at CHF??????

Can I ask you if you want Watts to be a 10 year player for Adelaide, the type of player we build our forward line around??????

If your answer is yes then you are going about it completely the wrong way ;)

SpringChoke said:
Allen Stewart/Bryce Gibbs

Sorry but this topic may be in a different room but any way. I was listening to 5AA on Sunday afternoon and hard a comment from Chris Mac, he said, Allen Stewart rates Bryce Gibbs and he is ready for AFL action next year but the problem is he’s only 15 (year 10) is this correct? Does Bryce Gibbs want to come to the Adelaide football club and if so how good is the kid do we have we a potential top 5 draft pick as a father son?

Stiffy_18 said:
Watts at CHF??????

Can I ask you if you want Watts to be a 10 year player for Adelaide, the type of player we build our forward line around??????

If your answer is yes then you are going about it completely the wrong way ;)
Stiffy, if he was a skinny little kid that was going to get knocked around I would totally agree with where you are comming from. I dont remember Johnathon Brown being wrapped in cotton wool by Leigh Matthews. He is not going to win his position many weeks but he is going to learn a lot about AFL football. Sure its a bit radical but I reckon it would be worth it given that we are probably going to lose more games than we win next year regardless. I dont expect everyone to agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wood_Duck said:
Stiffy, if he was a skinny little kid that was going to get knocked around I would totally agree with where you are comming from. I dont remember Johnathon Brown being wrapped in cotton wool by Leigh Matthews. He is not going to win his position many weeks but he is going to learn a lot about AFL football. Sure its a bit radical but I reckon it would be worth it given that we are probably going to lose more games than we win next year regardless. I dont expect everyone to agree.
The difference between Jonathan Brown and Fergus Watts at the same age is that Brown was a LOT more developed than Fergus. Fergus might be tall but he is still skinny and his upperbody is 2 years away from being AFL ready.

There is such a thing as burnout. Watts hasn't dominated SANFL yet. Once he is a very solid contributor at SANFL level then you bring him in. He has shown good signs but honestly he still has a LOT to learn. Its like taking a salesman and give him a CEO position.

Patience and he will come good but I get the feeling that not many here have patience. Hentschel is far more developed and even I would think twice about playing him at CHF. The hardest position on the field and the one most demanding on the body.

You cannot compare Brown to Watts. Each player should be treated on their merits. Brown was a father-son selection that was certain to go top 2 if he wasn't eligible to be picked up by Brisbane. There is a reason why Watts dropped down to 14 and thats got a lot to do with the development time he has to put in before he is AFL ready.

I agree with you Stiffy. Watts will be the goods - it's just a question of being patient for a year or two while he develops his upper body.

Thank goodness we have got Perrie as a CHF in the absence of Stevo to avoid rushing either Hentschel or Watts into the most difficult position on the ground to play.

macca23 said:
I agree with you Stiffy. Watts will be the goods - it's just a question of being patient for a year or two while he develops his upper body.

Thank goodness we have got Perrie as a CHF in the absence of Stevo to avoid rushing either Hentschel or Watts into the most difficult position on the ground to play.
Watts should play mainly for WWT in 2005, but if he plays some consistent SANFL footy, then he shoul come in for strong consideration fro AFC - otherwise just cameo roles, as no point rushing him.

Watts played most of his junior footy at CHB - that's where he'll get confidence at AFL level. Let the ball come to him. He's bigger than you think. Was 86kg when drafted now closer to 95kg. Get him out there & let him learn. Running around killing himself & not getting leads honoured at WWT isn't going to help him one bit.

Stiffy_18 said:
The difference between Jonathan Brown and Fergus Watts at the same age is that Brown was a LOT more developed than Fergus. Fergus might be tall but he is still skinny and his upperbody is 2 years away from being AFL ready.

There is such a thing as burnout. Watts hasn't dominated SANFL yet. Once he is a very solid contributor at SANFL level then you bring him in. He has shown good signs but honestly he still has a LOT to learn. Its like taking a salesman and give him a CEO position.

Patience and he will come good but I get the feeling that not many here have patience. Hentschel is far more developed and even I would think twice about playing him at CHF. The hardest position on the field and the one most demanding on the body.

You cannot compare Brown to Watts. Each player should be treated on their merits. Brown was a father-son selection that was certain to go top 2 if he wasn't eligible to be picked up by Brisbane. There is a reason why Watts dropped down to 14 and thats got a lot to do with the development time he has to put in before he is AFL ready.

I agree, the last thing we want to do is throw Watts and Henstchal to the wolves. Give it time, and these two will be very, very good players for us. Rush it, and we could ruin them. I would leave Hentschal on a flank or in a pocket and give Fergie between 6-8 games in 2005. Perrie is big enough to leave at CHF and if worse comes to worse, we release the hounds and let Big Bad Bock loose on the unsuspecting opposition. :eek:
IMO Trent is a regular in the 22 ( obviously ),Watts and Krueger must be given at least 6 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Select the Forward Line

Back