List Mgmt. Selections 30 + 47

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't rule out a KPD at 30.

An Adelaide-based one.

I'm guessing you mean Cameron Giles, Jake Pitt could go around that range, but he wont, he's a tweener and a bit too light in the body for my liking. He's like a back version of Jarrad Grant.

As for Giles, I wouldn't be against it, his first year in defence was a good one, and his stat line at the champs was impressive. Reminds me a bit of Cale Hooker.

I'm still of the view however, we can get most of these back prospects at #47.

Ruck depth. We only have two pure ruckman on our list. Most other clubs have four. Doesn't have to necessarily be a project... Could be another mature ager. I'm happy to hear we won't be taking Harvey. Not a fan at all

Right. Yeah, I have no issue with another ruck, just don't see the point in a project one. On the chance that the player develops well, we'd just lose them cheaply anyway because Goldy will still be around for ages.

These are the backs I'd consider this year for a full spot on the list:

Fraser Fort
Cameron Giles
Matt Sully
Tom Vandeleur
Jake Koldajshinji

I think any of them would be good, I think Vandeleur and Giles have really high ceilings, purely for their size/pace, they'd be my preference, I think they could compliment Thompson well down the track, Sully is safe insurance ready to go next year, Kolodjashnij is a Luke Delaney clone and Fraser Fort could be anything or nothing imo.

These are the players I'd like to see go at 30 if available:

Jay Kennedy-Harris
Cam Conlon
Dayle Garlett
Matt Crouch
Luke Dunstan
Billy Hartung
John Marsh
Jarman Impey

All have their reasons, some are just possible sliders.

JKH, Garlett and Impey all fit a need,and are 3 of the best small/half forwards for a while imo.

JKH - think Hayden Ballantyne.
Garlett - Think Byron Pickett in his early days at North
Impey - Think Michael Walters

Conlon - would fill the project ruck gap, he's eerily similar to Tyrone Vickery imo, and would of gone quite easily in the top 15 this year if he wasn't injured. Insurance for Curran as well, could be Petrie's protegee.

Crouch, Marsh, Hartung and Dunstan are sliders.

Hartung and Marsh are best suited, HArtung to give us more outside run, Marsh could be a bloody good foil for Aaron Black down the track.

Crouch and Dunstan would be steals at #30 and would have to be taken regardless of anything else.

Fraser Fort
Cameron Giles
Matt Sully
Tom Vandeleur
Jake Koldajshinji

I think any of them would be good, I think Vandeleur and Giles have really high ceilings, purely for their size/pace, they'd be my preference, I think they could compliment Thompson well down the track, Sully is safe insurance ready to go next year, Kolodjashnij is a Luke Delaney clone and Fraser Fort could be anything or nothing imo.

Jay Kennedy-Harris
Cam Conlon
Dayle Garlett
Matt Crouch
Luke Dunstan
Billy Hartung
John Marsh
Jarman Impey

JKH, Garlett and Impey all fit a need,and are 3 of the best small/half forwards for a while imo.

Conlon - would fill the project ruck gap, he's eerily similar to Tyrone Vickery imo, and would of gone quite easily in the top 15 this year if he wasn't injured. Insurance for Curran as well, could be Petrie's protegee.

Hartung and Marsh are best suited, HArtung to give us more outside run, Marsh could be a bloody good foil for Aaron Black down the track.

Crouch and Dunstan would be steals at #30 and would have to be taken regardless of anything else.
There's talk of Marsh going as high as 7.

Blues seem rather keen to take a forward this year and he's a bolter they'd have to consider.

Crouch or Dunstan would be great, despite them not really being exactly suited to our needs. Can never have enough ball winners though.

What I've read on Giles, he sounds rather similar to our own Thompson in that he's a run & carry defender?

Would blow my load if Crouch slid to 30. Yes, he has his issues with his kicking and lack of pace, but jesus does he know how to find the footy. I reckon he might turn out to be one of the better mids from this pool.

Fraser Fort
Cameron Giles
Matt Sully
Tom Vandeleur
Jake Koldajshinji

Jay Kennedy-Harris
Cam Conlon
Dayle Garlett
Matt Crouch
Luke Dunstan
Billy Hartung
John Marsh
Jarman Impey

Took you long enough. ;)

Read some negatives on Crouch (one trick pony - although he nails that trick) and Hartung (skills and smarts not as high as made out, people sucked in by his running numbers). Be curious if the resident draft experts see any merit in these points.

Purely based on youperving I liked the look of JKH, Marsh and Hourigan.

Is it odd that I wasn't blown away by Tom Boyd?

There's talk of Marsh going as high as 7.

Blues seem rather keen to take a forward this year and he's a bolter they'd have to consider.

Crouch or Dunstan would be great, despite them not really being exactly suited to our needs. Can never have enough ball winners though.

What I've read on Giles, he sounds rather similar to our own Thompson in that he's a run & carry defender?

Cam Giles is an ex forward/ruck that moved back this year. He is 196/93kg with a really quick first 5m, not the most common thing in guys that size. Because he played alot as a forward, he has a tendency to engage contact in the marking contest when in a one-on-one down back, again not very common for young defenders, it usually takes a few years to learn it, he's super strong overhead too. Brian Lake is probably a better comparison.

Hype machine gave you unrealistic expectations?

Would Crouch (accumulative midfielder) be an upgrade on our current accumulative midfielder-cum-whipping boy?

Read some negatives on Crouch (one trick pony - although he nails that trick) and Hartung (skills and smarts not as high as made out, people sucked in by his running numbers). Be curious if the resident draft experts see any merit in these points.

He doesn't seem to be as exciting as Hogan, well to me anyway.

Yes. He's the most complete tall forward for 10 years.

The likes of Watts, Patton, Hawkins, Gumbleton, Kruezer etc etc have all had knocks on certain parts of their games. Too skinny/flanker, Cant kick/man child, Cant kick/man child, Cant kick/ruck?, Ruck or forward?

He's bigger than Hawkins at the same age which is saying something, is much smarter on the lead and with his body, and is an infinitely better kick for goal than any of them. His goal kicking is like Jack Riewoldt's as a comparison.

He has the build and size of Kurt Tippett already, but is 10 x the kick and has 10 x the football brain.

I've never seen anyone get near the attention he got during his TAC Cup career (i.e double, triple teamed) and he still carved them to pieces, even as a 16 year old.

Hype machine gave you unrealistic expectations?

Possibly but I worry about players who dominate with bulk. Although his dimensions mean he won't be outsized at AFL. Kinda prefer 190-197cm types who can combine power with mobility better.

Would Crouch (accumulative midfielder) be an upgrade on our current accumulative midfielder-cum-whipping boy?

Yes. But.. we have several players who can cover this position and with expectations we can get a decent player from any of a variety of flavours at #30, not sure I'd be going for a ballwinning grunt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. He's the most complete tall forward for 10 years.

The likes of Watts, Patton, Hawkins, Gumbleton, Kruezer etc etc have all had knocks on certain parts of their games. Too skinny/flanker, Cant kick/man child, Cant kick/man child, Cant kick/ruck?, Ruck or forward?

He's bigger than Hawkins at the same age which is saying something, is much smarter on the lead and with his body, and is an infinitely better kick for goal than any of them. His goal kicking is like Jack Riewoldt's as a comparison.

His set shot looked neat, how's his field kicking?

Saw Boyd take several solid directly OH grabs. But can he hold position and outbody well? (not saying he can't just didn't witness it in the clips)

Anyway, you have a free hit - Boyd or Hogan?

He doesn't seem to be as exciting as Hogan, well to me anyway.
First time I saw Hogan live I pitched a tent. Boyd looked good, an imposing unit, but Hogan oozed genuine quality.

His set shot looked neat, how's his field kicking?

Saw Boyd take several solid directly OH grabs. But can he hold position and outbody well? (not saying he can't just didn't witness it in the clips)

Anyway, you have a free hit - Boyd or Hogan?

Lol body work? I don't think thats a problem, he will be the biggest monster in the AFL within 4 years.

They are both equally as good, I think Boyd will be the better player, just, purely for his kicking at goal. Hogan has a terrible kicking action.

And, I was on record as saying we should of sold the farm for Hogan at the time..........

Lol body work? I don't think thats a problem, he will be the biggest monster in the AFL within 4 years.

They are both equally as good, I think Boyd will be the better player, just, purely for his kicking at goal. Hogan has a terrible kicking action.

And, I was on record as saying we should of sold the farm for Hogan at the time..........

Seeing as he looks to be a better prospect than Patton, do GWS trade Patton? Surely they can't fit all of Cameron, Patton and Boyd in the same forward line.

Have seen a share of heavier players struggle with bodywork technique at AFL but take from your comment that Tom has this covered.

Based on general and more specifically your appraisal I'm surprised the Dogs or Saints didn't go all out for him. They had the picks to get the conversation started.

He looks dangerous anytime he is near the footy.

Hogan/Boyd would be a shitstorm of a discussion.

Hogan has that low center of gravity for a KPF that just makes you know he's going to kill you on the lead, and kill you in the air. His kicking though worries me, the kind of technique you know will crack under the pressure of finals/grand finals.

Boyd's the kind of bloke that will genuinely bend over absolutely any defender when it's his day, kind of like Franklin, but for different reasons obviously.

Seeing as he looks to be a better prospect than Patton, do GWS trade Patton? Surely they can't fit all of Cameron, Patton and Boyd in the same forward line.

We play Tarrant, Petrie and Black and expect it to work, why can't they?

Cameron's almost as mobile as Black.

Petrie - Boyd
Tarrant - Patton
Black - Cameron.

We play Tarrant, Petrie and Black and expect it to work, why can't they?

Cameron's almost as mobile as Black.

Petrie - Boyd
Tarrant - Patton
Black - Cameron.

Yeah, I suppose. Tarrant has a lot to prove this season. If he has a slow start I can see us going with just Petrie and Black and smaller, more nimble forward line.

Pretty standard to play 3 talls + 1 ruckman these days.

I remember Boyd being the standout talent in one of Metro's Champs games last year. Freak.

Hogan has that low center of gravity for a KPF that just makes you know he's going to kill you on the lead, and kill you in the air. His kicking though worries me, the kind of technique you know will crack under the pressure of finals/grand finals.

Boyd's the kind of bloke that will genuinely bend over absolutely any defender when it's his day, kind of like Franklin, but for different reasons obviously.

Was dreaming that he slid to pick 30. Any hypnotists or mind control experts here? Happy to chip in for your flight to the Gold Coast. And Kelly for 47 while you're at it - the father-son that got away. ;)

But still happy to wake up with 8 - McDonald, 30 - Kennedy-Harris, 47 - Sully.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Selections 30 + 47

Remove this Banner Ad

Back