Not open for further replies.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
MCG, FNF and a Cutthroat final? Doesn't get any better/scarier than that. Like last week we need to come in with a killer instinct. We need to finish the cats with impunity. To do that, like last week, a 4 quarter effort at 110% is required from the Swans' coaching box to the 22 players out on the field.

Ball movement as always is the key in any game and especially at the MCG. Even more so going inside 50. We need to be efficient, find the one-on-ones by going in quick i50 or be patient and find the spot up target. Then we have the leg speed component which is vital on the expanse that is the MCG. Rohan, Cunners, Towers and Jones need to get the afterburners going and also distribute the pill well, which a few of them have trouble doing. Team defence as always, get the ball from a stoppage (ruck is very important especially if it is wet) to our good ball users for distribution.

Needless to say that we shouldn't be buddy centric either, give every player an opportunity in the forward half by their merits considering we have a lethal forward line now. Think Mackie from the Cats HB line needs to be targetted/soft tagged as he is their only accurate and penetrating kick from HB. Mids as always have to beat Selwood and Dangerfield. That's a no brainer.

Lastly, buddy has been well held by Lonergan over the course of his career but hopefully tonight is some payback from the budster as he is hot right now to say the least. Hopefully he gets on his bike and starts leading instead of wrestling with him as that's where he gets beaten by him. And again I think ball movement and delivery inside 50 will go a long way to achieving that.

All in all a team effort for 4 quarters is required to win tonight there's no doubt about it! And after Geelong got their arses handed to them last week - they'll come out with intent. We need to be ready.

McVeigh's 300th game too! Congratulations to the champion. Hopefully he can celebrate it with a win tonight.

Carn you Swans! Go Get em'!

Last edited:
Jarrad McVeigh is set to become the fourth 300 gamer in the 143 year history of the South Melbourne/Sydney Swans football club. Dual best and fairest, premiership captain, All-Australian.

Let's put on an inspired display that would give this champion a 300th to remember. Get it done Swans!

Quietly confident to be honest. Had a good feeling about our year since we beat the bombers by a point. Think the cats will put up a good fight, but I believe we're heading for some more good times this season. Swans by 26

Like last week I hope we go in with MarkP approved tactic of scoring more points than them.

If we don't this could be a danger game with outcome uncertain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great opener from Silent Hunter. Mega liked the comments about Buddwah using his mobility.

Still dry in Melbourne (but have the gum boots at the ready and galoshes for the crutches). I am counting on the wonderful drainage at the G to do its thing. Still it will be greasy as it was last Friday. The Tiggers adapted better last week and the Handbaggers looked lumbering.

Undoubtedly there is a risk Scott will demand some of his campaigners plonk bricks in their designer handbags. Last week we saw the filthy Goddard target Buddwah with his knees and there will be no surprise if Dorkins, Mouselop and Scott Diver go the tonk. These tactics will not work.

Our mob require the grit and positive attitude we showed last Saturday in our ransack of the 'rotten State of Donsmark' (to bowdlerise Shakespeare).

We are settled and are more even across the 22 than the Cats. I'd back our bottom 6 against their 6 members of their herd of cats every day of the week.

Our best defender will be Mills. Our best mid will be JPK. Our best forward will be Paps. Only the weather will keep this close.

Wet game + tight defence from Geelong would make me very nervous.
Rain will bring scoring ability down for both sides but I'd expect Hawkins to be able to mark better, especially early as there would be a lot of wet weather training sessions down Geelong way, can't be avoided their weather sucks.

Best bet is to get in early in the 1st and 3rd quarters while the ball is relatively dry and put the pressure on them to chase.

Hopefully us by 15 points.

Guthrie out is huge for the Cats, has been an important cog of their midfield all year. It would be like losing Hannebery or Heeney.

Can they cover him? Probably not since they dropped another midfielder to bring in two forwards. Bizarre team selection really, but I guess they're rolling the dice and counting on i50 dominance again.

Going to be hard to do that with Murdoch out, Guthrie out, Dangerfield carrying a knee injury and Selwood hardly looking capable of getting around.

They've still got bigger bodied Duncan, Shit Selwood and Menegola in the midfield against our smaller mids, so you can never say never. Shit Selwood had a good game against us last time.

Shut down their rebound off half back and we're golden. Go in hard early and work then off the ball.

I'd play Hewett against Dangerfield and KJ on the resting mid. Towers goes to Thuoy and shuts him down.

Overall our midfield depth should smash their skinny midfield and Naismith should be able to break even.

Henderson > Chief
Lonergan > Franklin
Mackay > Reid
Kolodjashnij > Rohan
Thuoy > Towers/Hewett/Papley

Grundy > Porkins
Rampe > Taylor
Mills > Menzel

Height is where the Cats can get us in defence if they play Smith & Blicavs deep. There might be a late change for this match since Cunningham doesn't really have a match up except maybe Motlop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back