Preview Semi Final - Geelong vs GWS, Fri 3 Sept @ 1950 (AEST), Optus Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Later part of his career was obviously what I was talking about. I think you and everybody else knew what I was talking about.

I know what you meant.

But he's gonna retire with more flags than Bob Davis, Polly Farmer, Bill Goggin, Ablett Sr, Ablett Jr, Dangerfield, Buddha, Nankervis, Wade etc and the list just goes on.

He wouldn't consider himself hard done by with 3 early flags in his career and no one should think that.

Whitfield, Cumming, Perryman, Haynes and Ash all provide excellent rebound out of defence ... just hope Tuohy can match their collective output. :moustache:

If we play three rucks again against their one, like round 21, we will again struggle. Their quick ball movement is a feature and bringing in plodders like Sav isn't going to help the cause.
Playing at the wider more expansive Optus Stadium in WA in fine weather may help us with tall marking players though.

Courtesy of Polly Farmer, we’ve had a strong following in Perth.
If you put together a best ever Cat's Team made up of only WA players (going back to Polly), you would find probably find that you could put a whole team together and a number of them would be contenders for our best ever team. That is a major reason why there is such a big following of Cat's supporters in the West. It would be a good exercise to do! Anyway, I'm one of them and my family and I will be there tomorrow night yelling loudly to get them over the line,
Go the Cats

If you put together a best ever Cat's Team made up of only WA players (going back to Polly), you would find probably find that you could put a whole team together and a number of them would be contenders for our best ever team. That is a major reason why there is such a big following of Cat's supporters in the West. It would be a good exercise to do! Anyway, I'm one of them and my family and I will be there tomorrow night yelling loudly to get them over the line,
Go the Cats

Dennis Marshall another I don’t think has been mentioned. My Dad thought one of the best onballers to have played the game (up until he passed away in ‘92 - my Dad that is).

Dennis Marshall another I don’t think has been mentioned. My Dad thought one of the best onballers to have played the game (up until he passed away in ‘92 - my Dad that is).
Mark Bairstow another.

Go the Cats

Great post.
Many past champions with WA heritage - Polly, Watts , Marshall, Featherby ,Malarkey, Peake, Bairstow etc - plus Duncan, Menegola and Harry notables from more recent times.
Pumped for this one..................

Clubs have pivotal games in their history

2013 PF - that was a pivotal game in Haw history - had they lossed that ( looked likely at 3qtr time ) 12 losses in a row to one team and eliminated - Ken Judge said on the radio the next morning his mail was if Haw had lost - Clarkson was finished and he would have been appointed that week to the then vacant W/Coast coaching position

And i think Frid nights game is a pivotal game in Geel history . If the Cats lose - the media wiil put the absolute blowtorch on the club and C Scott- and spin and bullshiit answers wont cut the mustard - plus there will be a tremendous backlash from the supporters - why bother qualifying each year - and just getting bundled out

Go the Cats

pretty sure there was a past thread made of Geelong’s best WA players and also best SA players .. fun exercise.

Joel Corey, George Moloney come to mind ..

Hope you and the family have an enjoyable experience tomorrow!

I really hope Phil Davis plays, as someone with a LOT of free time this year I have caught quite a few GWS matches and he is living off past reputation. He is too slow, doesn't really impact the contest as much as you would expect. If they play Davis, I would be making sure Tom is on him. That would absolutely help us. The only way Davis hurts us is if he plays on Esava because he has the experience to read the play, drop off to help whoever is on Hawk/Cameron and pick up easy intercept marks.

As for Joel, yes he has 3 flags but if anyone deserves recognition as a Premiership Captain its him. People forget how he dragged us to finals wins and success in 2013/14/16. Not to mention how many ****ing "captains goals" he has kicked.

As for Scott, usually people talk about how no matter how Geelong go Scott will be there next week. Its really eery that this year there is a lot of talk that if Geelong don't win this flag we have gone "all in for" that there is a chance Scott is gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope Phil Davis plays, as someone with a LOT of free time this year I have caught quite a few GWS matches and he is living off past reputation. He is too slow, doesn't really impact the contest as much as you would expect. If they play Davis, I would be making sure Tom is on him. That would absolutely help us. The only way Davis hurts us is if he plays on Esava because he has the experience to read the play, drop off to help whoever is on Hawk/Cameron and pick up easy intercept marks.

As for Joel, yes he has 3 flags but if anyone deserves recognition as a Premiership Captain its him. People forget how he dragged us to finals wins and success in 2013/14/16. Not to mention how many ******* "captains goals" he has kicked.

As for Scott, usually people talk about how no matter how Geelong go Scott will be there next week. Its really eery that this year there is a lot of talk that if Geelong don't win this flag we have gone "all in for" that there is a chance Scott is gone.
Phil hasn't played for a while now and I expect nothing to change with Stein coming off the best game of his career, only change I feel really confident in is Toby out and Tanner Bruhn in, a lot of the other guys are listed as tests so it's unclear on their status, Bobby Hill might get some run, Peatling could come in to replace Cumming if he's not healthy in time while Buntine could replace Reid potentially.

Phil hasn't played for a while now and I expect nothing to change with Stein coming off the best game of his career, only change I feel really confident in is Toby out and Tanner Bruhn in, a lot of the other guys are listed as tests so it's unclear on their status, Bobby Hill might get some run, Peatling could come in to replace Cumming if he's not healthy in time while Buntine could replace Reid potentially.

Isn't Tom Green out injured too?

Davis hasn't played since Rd 20 against Port and he was really poor. Which is why I would love if they brought him in haha

Isn't Tom Green out injured too?
Yeah thats right, I think Cogs would soak up many of the midfield minutes that Green leaves behind considering Cogs played very little midfield last week, while I also expect Taranto to spend more time forward then usual so there will be some mid time up for grabs to be distributed.

2013 PF - that was a pivotal game in Haw history - had they lossed that ( looked likely at 3qtr time ) 12 losses in a row to one team and eliminated - Ken Judge said on the radio the next morning his mail was if Haw had lost - Clarkson was finished and he would have been appointed that week to the then vacant W/Coast coaching position

And i think Frid nights game is a pivotal game in Geel history . If the Cats lose - the media wiil put the absolute blowtorch on the club and C Scott- and spin and bullshiit answers wont cut the mustard - plus there will be a tremendous backlash from the supporters - why bother qualifying each year - and just getting bundled out
Love that story. One of the reasons they've been so successful. Ruthless stuff. Scotty should've had that talk 3-4 years ago.

We probably do enough for the win and then put up a valiant performance next week against Melbourne but lose.
All will be forgotten in a few months time and we get ready for the same scenario in 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back