September Daily Punt - Spring is in the air

Remove this Banner Ad

I make a habit of ignoring anything the trainers say unless its Mick Price.

Weir was putting the slows on BHB two weeks ago.

I'm warming to him a bit, UTL is a good horse but he has never been a gun sprinter, his best runs have come when down in the weights off faster tempos, Rupert Clarke, Stradbroke, Goodwood, etc, different scenario here with likely moderate speed and carrying top weight.

He was good first up but his numbers were nothing amazing, Redzel was falling in a hole the last 50M in particular which gave the impression he was savaging the lines but UTL last 200M sectional and overall time was nothing special.

Then we have some up and comers like SAL & Kinglike, talented 3yos who are yet to do anything near what X has done whether it be in this distance range or not, Kinglike has 1 or 2 good performances to his name but some very ordinary ones also, same can be said for SAL.

Dunderal, good off season horse but is he good enough to beat these, I don't know.

Getting out sprinted was never the issue with X for mine, more concerned about getting into a speed battle early in a fast run race then puncturing late, if you watch all of his races he puts a gap in them quickly (even the Aus Gunieas to an extent) when needed, if he is camped behind them here off a moderate speed, traveling well he could put a winning margin on them between the 4 & the 2.

I'm still far from convinced on betting in the race but I'm liking him more as the week goes on.
If Xtravegant has any semblence of class he should win easily, 1st up or not. There is no class in the race whatsoever besides UTL who is a good group 3 horse who fluked a group 1.

I make a habit of ignoring anything the trainers say unless its Mick Price.

Weir was putting the slows on BHB two weeks ago.
I had no doubt whatsoever BHB was gonna be fit enough to win, sounded just like Weir normally talks about his horses IMO.

Generally I agree it's wise not to read too much into it. We're still learning about Xtravagant though, as I'm sure the stable are so ultimately no confidence = can't bet.

Agree with your summation of the race, especially the recipe for UTL.

Dont mind Urban Ruler in the 1400m 3yo race. Progressive horse who won well last start albeit in weaker grade. Have had a small approach for Caul Guineas at odds so would like to see it show something

My horse was going to be in that race but his done something to his back leg. Nothing major, we're just taking a cautious approach.

I'll be on Throssell.

Any idea its next run? Must have ok opinion of it if aiming this race

We're not too sure now yet. He's leg was too inflamed to X-ray so hopefully that has gone down and we can get it done today.

We're confident it will be a good horse. How good is probably the question. Ran second and was 1.8 lengths of a stakes place horse at Geelong out of Hayes stable despite being 2 lengths last just before the turn. Michael Walker was on him that day and gave him a nice wrap and suggested he'd be able to step up over 2000.

I'll post more as soon as I hear more.

Wales goes around in Race 4 Saturday, not particularly confident as this is much harder and he stays at 1400M but some form came out his Cranbourne race last weekend and he gets down on the minimum here, that was his 3rd first up run since I have been involved with him and I thought that was clearly his best return, could be in for a good campaign, not the worst $40 shot going around even though I won't be on.

Wales goes around in Race 4 Saturday, not particularly confident as this is much harder and he stays at 1400M but some form came out his Cranbourne race last weekend and he gets down on the minimum here, that was his 3rd first up run since I have been involved with him and I thought that was clearly his best return, could be in for a good campaign, not the worst $40 shot going around even though I won't be on.
Youre right about that race. Actually a good form reference for horses at country level esp

Pilot Dessai was disappointing at a short price Valley but reckon much better suited at Flemington.

I thought he was okay first up and would improve enough 2nd up to be winning in a moderate field but was plain in my opinion, Master Zephyr went as well as him and he was ordinary last Saturday.

Obviously a good chance but big field with plenty of chances, I reckon he has come up very short.

DDM very stiff last start with a terrible ride - Probably could have come 1st/2nd if she had clear running. Expecting her to run pretty well at Flemington which suits her with Dunn back on board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Gator has tipped the big X on top - smart man :thumbsu:

someone needs to take the odds for me. (PS already 3.50 to 4.80 and in some places not fave, he's just getting to a true price)

Diva could be a Memsie repeat with BHB getting smashed into odds on and accounting for them easily.

the only thing interesting about this race is BHB's last 200 and whether it's dominant enough to win again in the underwood.

Nothing really jumping out at me as stupidly short this week.

Maybe Southern Legend in Sydney - think there a few more proven horses than him in the race and he's being priced on potential that might not be there.

The only thing that beats BHB in the the Makybe is rain for mine, virtually races the same field and none of them can beat him home, OI is the wild card but would be shocked if he sharp enough over 1600M to beat BHB.

However unless he beats them easy and really runs through the line then I reckon that will be the end of his run this campaign, I'm far from convinced he wants any further than 1600M at this stage.

As for X there has not been a cracker for him so far, Autridge on the radio again this morning saying he would be happy with top 5, haven't been able to hear anything on his track work, think this will have to be a watch race.

Nothing really jumping out at me as stupidly short this week.

Maybe Southern Legend in Sydney - think there a few more proven horses than him in the race and he's being priced on potential that might not be there.

I personally like him on Saturday, think he is a good horse in the making, trialed like a good horse before his first up win, ran fast time and strong sectionals with 60kgs, beat Felines easy and she won well last week albeit on a rain affected track.

Gets down to 53kg here and maps really well, think he is going to take serious beating, he beat Counterattck on his merits in the Autumn at only his 5th start coming from the midweeks, meets him the same at the weights here and SL has more upside.

$2.50 is fairly short but I reckon the market might like him a lot come Saturday, wouldn't surprise me if he starts shorter.

I'm quite excited about the prospects of southern legend. crunch time for he and Kinglike.

haven't done any form outside the Bobbie Lewis and Makybe, so i'm only guessing but if he wins this week he might be one to see at WFA sooner rather than later. equally likely that the first up effort is too strong and SL flops and doesn't make the cut.

BHB is allergic to the wet which is natural for the breed. wet will be a huge concern.

Beautiful! If the speed fappers are all over him it makes him a delicious lay :p

Felines looked like winning first up before peaking on its run 100 out - far better nags than that for SL to beat here.

He went okay on the soft 5 in the All Aged, unless it rains heavily when the races are on then Flemington not too much of an issue, if most of the rain is done by tomorrow evening then I think it will be soft 5 at worst, which I would be happy to back him in but anything worse and I'd be concerned.

weather will be the key for Saturday

Makintosh interesting runner in Syd for mine, potenetial Epsom horse

Chautauqua baby brother resuming at Hawkesbury today too.

Will be about a mile too short for Mackintosh on Saturday I would have thought

Remove this Banner Ad

September Daily Punt - Spring is in the air

Remove this Banner Ad

Back