SEQAFL Division 1 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Big 1st up game for Mayne, I don't mind the Tigers having to play the big guns twice. They are the teams Mayne need to beat to prove to themselves they can go all the way. No disrespect intended to any of the other teams. Mayne have never beaten the W/Magpies (in this league), Noosa and only beaten PBC once, so beating those clubs will be a big confidence booster. Naturally would we would have to play good consistent footy to beat ll teams in the comp!

As I have said before the comp this year is looking great, the making of a very exciting footy season!

True Tiger and I think that you might find that the top 5 teams from last year aren't going to be the top 5 for this year in any case so you might be ok in that respect in any case. IMO reckon the whole comp might squeeze up a little bit this year - very few games will be able to be pencilled in whereas last year reckon the top 3 sides were significantly better than the next 4 who were a lot better than the bottom 3 - with Coolie being in a class of their own. Hopefully they have got their act together bc nothing better than a good competitive year of footy.

guys, whats your thoughts on how the Uni side is going to go after being promoted in division 1???

Wouldnt have thought real well! Like the step up from phc to neafl is significant so is div 2 to div 1. In saying that I know very little about that comp and its players, but to be competitive they would have to recruit somewhere between 8 - 12 players from a similiar or better comp to phc to be competitive with the top 5-7 sides! Just my opinion.

guys, whats your thoughts on how the Uni side is going to go after being promoted in division 1???
Really hard to say, don't know enough about them. May catch some teams off guard and be a lot more successful than expected. But may need time to adjust. Wish the Uni club all the best :thumbsu: (except against Mayne of course ;))

UQ has put a little bit about some of their recruits on their website - http://redlions.org.au/2013/02/08/2013-scholarship-recipients/

• Jordan McDonald – Brisbane Lions Academy.
  • Jordan Morrison – Mayne AFC.
  • Lewis Radford – Brisbane Lions Academy.
  • Zac Southern – Nambour AFC/Brisbane Lions Academy
Four good picks ups, at lot of young talent can play both U18's and seniors. However it will be hard for other clubs to compete with gifts of $6000 plus to individual players.

Four good picks ups, at lot of young talent can play both U18's and seniors. However it will be hard for other clubs to compete with gifts of $6000 plus to individual players.

Good news for the UQ boys. And its good to hear that the money will be put towards something a little better than the bar! good luck to the 4 lads and I hope they have a good year, on and off the field.
Has anyone got info on praccy matches? I know Palmy will be playing Broadie and Maroochy at various times, but other than that?

not sure i'd be super keen on the four day round 1 - round 2 break for grange/sandgate players

should be a really good crowd though, it's a good initiative for the clubs overall just the poor players legs :D

definatly agree mate, watched sandgate train a few times this year,
they will be very young and fit this season, dont look liked they have picked up many players though, does any one know of anyone they have picked up?

The mail we are getting down here:

Cooly: Doug Hawkins to return as captain coach. Lost a heap to Robina, Doug would want to pull a pretty big bunny out of the hat to turn around from last year.
PBC: Lost Hards x 2, Hewit, Drake, Dyson, Lohrey, Williams. Have picked up 2 former Maggie's, priemership midfielder from Essendon league, 4 Tasmanians (not sure on there pedigree but one was a star of the TFL.) And about 6 other new faces I'm yet to meet. Early guess but should be around the mark with what they have kept and picked up.
Burleigh: Jay Koehler star chb/chf from o&m. Pete Hay former Maroochy chf. Wade Dickson former Broady boy and Zane Taylor medalist. And apparently a few former players. Will certainly be up on last year, and will be no easy beats with these inclusions. Push for finals.
Surfers: Lost, not much according to paper but a couple significant no shows yet in Fulton and Armstrong, and have heard they had picked up Everington from Broady only to lose him to country vic. Possible slid on the cards?
Springwood: Picked up Vearing and Fafaro! Two very talented neafl players, with the couple they landed from Vultures last year will win more than they lose this year. Finals not out of the question.
Magpies: Lost Mihlapolus, Mcdonald, two others to PBC??? Rozinki,Pope yet to be sighted. ( Completely normal for Jimmy R) Dicfoss and one other to Vultures? Not sure of pick ups. But certainly had depth and foundations to be more than competitve again this year. Top 5 again one would think.
Grange: Not hearing much from the Gorilla camp but only need a top up of players and a fit list to push top 3.
Sandgate: Rob Dickfos coaching. Can almost hear him yelling from down here! Lost Forbes, Petitte, Long and a couple other good young kids to Aspley. No word on recruits yet so could be a long year, given the talent and experience lost.
UQ: Absolutely know nothing about there squad! Would need to pick up some real quality given the improvement in standard to which they are accustomed. Long odds of finals.
Mayne: Possibly the best pick up in comp Shaun Daly is a weapon, make no mistake, will be right up there with best in comp. Throw in Brown, Faulkner, Houesgo, Falconer and a couple other real handy players and you have the nucleus to a side that should not only see finals but should be top 3. Not sure of any outs but not sure it would matter anyway with this core group.
Maroochy: According to there website might challenge mayne with best recruit! Go have a look, Taylor! Well F#@k me, few lads will be looking to get regular massage I would imagine. Anyway a handy pick up from Aspley in the form of a full forward (cant remember his name?) and have managed to keep together a good young group over the summer. Maloney would be pretty excited with what he has in front of him and finals would no doubt be a realistic goal.
Noosa. Out. Brewster, Bovalino, Mckitrick, and another 4 or 5 senior players! No word on recruits yet but massive losses. Still have one opf the best cultures in the comp and a club we respect greatly. May see a slide from the tigers, but will still give any side a real shake.

This is only the mail we are getting down here. Believe what you like and dismiss the rest. All will be clear in a few weeks times. Hopefully made for some entertaining reading and feel free to add or subtract to the ins and outs.

Good wrap up and good to see mayne, burleigh, spring wood & maroochy shaping up alright. Should be a very good comp.

Big out's for noosa & pbc. What happened to drake? Thought he'd play forever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good wrap up and good to see mayne, burleigh, spring wood & maroochy shaping up alright. Should be a very good comp.

Maroochy are very excited with a couple of other recruits, but a lot of hype around Taylor at the moment at the club.

There is a strong rumour Kwhit that she may spend more time with the 18s this year just to keep the senior sides mind on the job. The young fellas appreciate she is out of their league, 25yr olds reckon everyone is in for a chance!:)

Maroochy also picked up Matty Boston from B'Beach. Hasn't played alot of footy in recent years but told he can play when fit and probably suited to this comp.
Mitch Shollard was the fella from Aspley Kwhit - good strong footballer, a couple of key fwds from up north and then the development of a couple of the younger blokes, all looks reasonably healthy for the Roos to be at the worst competitive in most games.
Tassie connection with the coach no doubt at PBC. Fantastic wrap up. well done.

Just out of interest how are Div 1 sides going with numbers in the 18s? Have heard some disturbing stories about some clubs numbers.

Kwhit – sounds like a busy off season at salk! China and dys put the cue in the rack have they? Do u know the names of the tassie boys? Be interested in know who they are.

Good get from maroochy – robina have been lucky enough to build a relationship with Griffith for our trainers and have had a cpl of 3rd/4th year physio students the last cpl of years – lets just say it does definitely increase the numbers at training!!

UQ may surprise a few teams – clearly a big gap between the 2 leagues but you gotta hand it to a club that gets rolled in the gf 2 years in a row but still backs themselves to go up.

Kwhit – sounds like a busy off season at salk! China and dys put the cue in the rack have they? Do u know the names of the tassie boys? Be interested in know who they are.

Good get from maroochy – robina have been lucky enough to build a relationship with Griffith for our trainers and have had a cpl of 3rd/4th year physio students the last cpl of years – lets just say it does definitely increase the numbers at training!!

UQ may surprise a few teams – clearly a big gap between the 2 leagues but you gotta hand it to a club that gets rolled in the gf 2 years in a row but still backs themselves to go up.

definatley have to hand it to them, i hate seeing clubs come up and struggle, hopefully they do surprise a few sides through out the year, do have a bit of news on the sandgate front, they have picked up a bloke straight out of Werribee (vic) not sure of his name, but sources tell me he looks very sharpe on the track, also Tommy Overington is back at the club which will shoudl help the young hawks

I think most people at the club understand that it is a big step up and are not setting any unrealistic expectations. From what I've heard around Oval 7 there's a strong desire to ensure it is a long term promotion and everyone knows that will take time to consolidate. Obviously we want to do as well as we can and are going to give it everything, but realistically if the boys can be consistently competitive and knock off a few teams through the year I think that's a good place to build from in the years to come.

The mail we are getting down here:

Cooly: Doug Hawkins to return as captain coach. Lost a heap to Robina, Doug would want to pull a pretty big bunny out of the hat to turn around from last year.
PBC: Lost Hards x 2, Hewit, Drake, Dyson, Lohrey, Williams. Have picked up 2 former Maggie's, priemership midfielder from Essendon league, 4 Tasmanians (not sure on there pedigree but one was a star of the TFL.) And about 6 other new faces I'm yet to meet. Early guess but should be around the mark with what they have kept and picked up.
Burleigh: Jay Koehler star chb/chf from o&m. Pete Hay former Maroochy chf. Wade Dickson former Broady boy and Zane Taylor medalist. And apparently a few former players. Will certainly be up on last year, and will be no easy beats with these inclusions. Push for finals.
Surfers: Lost, not much according to paper but a couple significant no shows yet in Fulton and Armstrong, and have heard they had picked up Everington from Broady only to lose him to country vic. Possible slid on the cards?
Springwood: Picked up Vearing and Fafaro! Two very talented neafl players, with the couple they landed from Vultures last year will win more than they lose this year. Finals not out of the question.
Magpies: Lost Mihlapolus, Mcdonald, two others to PBC??? Rozinki,Pope yet to be sighted. ( Completely normal for Jimmy R) Dicfoss and one other to Vultures? Not sure of pick ups. But certainly had depth and foundations to be more than competitve again this year. Top 5 again one would think.
Grange: Not hearing much from the Gorilla camp but only need a top up of players and a fit list to push top 3.
Sandgate: Rob Dickfos coaching. Can almost hear him yelling from down here! Lost Forbes, Petitte, Long and a couple other good young kids to Aspley. No word on recruits yet so could be a long year, given the talent and experience lost.
UQ: Absolutely know nothing about there squad! Would need to pick up some real quality given the improvement in standard to which they are accustomed. Long odds of finals.
Mayne: Possibly the best pick up in comp Shaun Daly is a weapon, make no mistake, will be right up there with best in comp. Throw in Brown, Faulkner, Houesgo, Falconer and a couple other real handy players and you have the nucleus to a side that should not only see finals but should be top 3. Not sure of any outs but not sure it would matter anyway with this core group.
Maroochy: According to there website might challenge mayne with best recruit! Go have a look, Taylor! Well F#@k me, few lads will be looking to get regular massage I would imagine. Anyway a handy pick up from Aspley in the form of a full forward (cant remember his name?) and have managed to keep together a good young group over the summer. Maloney would be pretty excited with what he has in front of him and finals would no doubt be a realistic goal.
Noosa. Out. Brewster, Bovalino, Mckitrick, and another 4 or 5 senior players! No word on recruits yet but massive losses. Still have one opf the best cultures in the comp and a club we respect greatly. May see a slide from the tigers, but will still give any side a real shake.

This is only the mail we are getting down here. Believe what you like and dismiss the rest. All will be clear in a few weeks times. Hopefully made for some entertaining reading and feel free to add or subtract to the ins and outs.

Jimmy Rozinski has attended all preseason and is looking extremely fit. Val Pope in the same boat. Not sure where you are getting your mail from?? Things are pretty tight lipped at the Maggies but there has been more gains than losses.

Jimmy Rozinski has attended all preseason and is looking extremely fit. Val Pope in the same boat. Not sure where you are getting your mail from?? Things are pretty tight lipped at the Maggies but there has been more gains than losses.

More gains than losses hey? I know of 9 players gone from last years seniors premiership side and 1 other still undecided if he is going to play again plus the loss of 2 other quality reserve players who played a lot of senior football who are playing VFL this year, that's possibly 12 seniors players...Would need to bring in some quality players to replace these!!

More gains than losses hey? I know of 9 players gone from last years seniors premiership side and 1 other still undecided if he is going to play again plus the loss of 2 other quality reserve players who played a lot of senior football who are playing VFL this year, that's possibly 12 seniors players...Would need to bring in some quality players to replace these!!

Time will tell. First Trial game against UQ in a fortnight. Maybe you should make an appearance "heres to you". Word on the street is you weren't too bad in your day ;)

With this shite weather consuming most of SE Qld, and expected to continue, hows it effecting everyones preparations? I know up here on the coast its causing all sorts of dramas with inability to get on the track and coaching staff having to come up with alternate venues and ideas to ensure some form of conditioning for the players. I suppose with the season not starting until the middle of the year there is plenty of time to dry out! Lots of conflicting reports generated about who has lost who and what teams will shape up like, i think that until everyone has played each other then it will only be speculation.. I did hear Springwood on the verge of signing Rhan Hooper. Have heard he has let himself go, but could be handy if consistent in his training and games.

Remove this Banner Ad

SEQAFL Division 1 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back