Sexual assault allegations

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: F!@#ing Great... sex assault allegations

No one need worry, Colling wood will pay off who ever they have to and make this go away- absolutely no doubt about that
If the claimant's allegations are true, in that the players were fully aware that the alleged event was non-consentual, I'd rather the Club sacked the the players and never let them back in the Club again.

My reading of this is...

Option 1: Pies will be found to be in clear whereby I hope they won't be tarnished forever.

Option 2: Murky situation with none of the parties clearly right or wrong and correspondingly nothing "stickable" from a legal sense. In this case, I would expect the club to severely reprimand the players either officially or "off the record" for being involved and contributing to a grubby situation at the worst possible time.

Option 3: Charges laid and proven. The players need to be sacked and face the legal consequences.

I suspect it will end up at option 2 which will be a very difficult situation to handle for all parties and really a no win for anyone. Similar to the St Kilda situation. I can't help but wonder, as an outsider who doesn't know the facts there, how much it affected the fabric of that club.

Ah sex. It's an absolute weapon at times isn't it.

I'm glad my man bits don't work anymore.

My reading of this is...

Option 1: Pies will be found to be in clear whereby I hope they won't be tarnished forever.

Option 2: Murky situation with none of the parties clearly right or wrong and correspondingly nothing "stickable" from a legal sense. In this case, I would expect the club to severely reprimand the players either officially or "off the record" for being involved and contributing to a grubby situation at the worst possible time.

Option 3: Charges laid and proven. The players need to be sacked and face the legal consequences.

I suspect it will end up at option 2 which will be a very difficult situation to handle for all parties and really a no win for anyone. Similar to the St Kilda situation. I can't help but wonder, as an outsider who doesn't know the facts there, how much it affected the fabric of that club.

Option 2. They'll never prove what has gone on. I have my thoughts of what has probably happened, because it happens all the time. But I ain't going to say it because I'll probably get flamed.

I would take a guess at it though and say she's consented with the celebrity, then a couple of boys have taken advantage.

Just a whole shitty mess for everyone involved.

Ok, im going to attempt to calm everyone down here. I have it on very good authority of what actually happened, and it's good news for Pies fans. Hopefully it all comes out sooner rather than later. The worst part is likely to be the same sh*t that gets thrown at Milne and Montagna. Both were innocent but not all that story came out and the stigma hung around. If everything comes out, that wont happen here, but the positive is the boys should be in the clear.

Ok, im going to attempt to calm everyone down here. I have it on very good authority of what actually happened, and it's good news for Pies fans. Hopefully it all comes out sooner rather than later. The worst part is likely to be the same sh*t that gets thrown at Milne and Montagna. Both were innocent but not all that story came out and the stigma hung around. If everything comes out, that wont happen here, but the positive is the boys should be in the clear.
How do you know Milne and Montagna are innocent?

These allegation and your premiership are totally different things. You deserved the win and the flag. What a couple of players did or didn't do in their own time has no bearing on the achievement of being numero uno for 2010.
I hope it isn't true, but if it is,I'm sure your club will cut the players loose and that they will be untouchable by other AFL clubs.

Innocent of rape or not.

I'm not a fan of footballers thinking they can share a young drunk lass around like a piece of meat. I know this sort of thing happens all the time unfortunately, not just in the football world, but people should be more careful about what actions they choose to participate in.

Listening to Ed and his comments, the club has spoken to both players involved and it felt like the club was satisfied with the players' version of events. That's just how I interpreted the way Ed was speaking.

Obviously we'll wait and see but yeh.

Innocent of rape or not.

I'm not a fan of footballers thinking they can share a young drunk lass around like a piece of meat. I know this sort of thing happens all the time unfortunately, not just in the football world, but people should be more careful about what actions they choose to participate in.

Agree with this and I think it is something we as a club should probably make a really solid effort to nip in the bud. As we have seen in the NRL you don't want a culture of this because it just invites this kind of thing.

This happened to my ex's sister, I didn't tell my ex because I didn't want to embarrass the poor girl any further. Not sure if it was the correct decision though.

Agree with this and I think it is something we as a club should probably make a really solid effort to nip in the bud. As we have seen in the NRL you don't want a culture of this because it just invites this kind of thing.

Ok we also need to put things into perspective here.

We have some very respectable players at Collingwood, most of whom would not (and did not) commit such a foul act. Most have partners, and are decent people with their heads on.

We're all aware of the two players that were involved, and it doesn't surprise me considering their age and immaturity. They're no Nick Maxwell or Harry O.

If it were the case that the two players played a malicious part, then they should be sacked. That is the message we need to send, reassuring all that we do not want this stigma or culture at this club.

Carlton made the tough call to sack Fev for his indiscretions, even though he was never charged by a court of law. We need to send the same message and be proactive, if required.

Judging by the media reports so far, it's not looking very innocent for the boys.

In no way am I trying to imply that we currently have a culture of it. As you mentioned it is highly unlikely but this kind of activity and attitude towards women is certainly not something you want to ignore amongst young players. Fev being a very good recent AFL case. I am sure we have the leadership in terms of senior players and staff to able to deal with this in the best way possible, but the point is from the looks of things, even if nothing illegal has happened it is certainly something that needs to be dealt with internally in someway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Innocent of rape or not.

I'm not saying it's true in this case (doesn't seem like it, players and the boyfriend may been main instigators) but there are plenty of girls who love being treated like that, in a purely sexual sense. Too often the ***** is put on the pedestal as being angelic and naive.

Judging by the media reports so far, it's not looking very innocent for the boys.
How do you come to that conclusion? Only the allegations have been mentioned in the media, and from what I have read, it's sounds quite sensationalised too. Who is the boyfriend of the girl? Did she say no at the time?

Was it clear that she was never at any stage consented, or did she consent due to pressure from her boyfriend, only to feel bad about that later? Of course it's dreadful behaviour whether or not she consented, and hopefully the players involved will be dealt with, but to suggest they're not looking innocent is unfair based on the information released to date.

I'm not saying it's true in this case (doesn't seem like it, players and the boyfriend may been main instigators) but there are plenty of girls who love being treated like that, in a purely sexual sense. Too often the ***** is put on the pedestal as being angelic and naive.

This

I think the dreadful behaviour part was what he was implying KS, not that they look legally guilty, but more that the certainly look like they where involved in some dodgy behaviour regardless.

My reading of this is...

I agree that should be the case but the evidence from Round 3 and last Saturday's abuse of Milne by Pies supporters shows that life is not that fair.

Milne and Montagna. Both were innocent but not all that story came out and the stigma hung around.

M+M are not necesarily innocent. The police dropped the charges because there was not enough evidence for a conviction. They still could have committed the crime.

How do you come to that conclusion? Only the allegations have been mentioned in the media, and from what I have read, it's sounds quite sensationalised too. Who is the boyfriend of the girl? Did she say no at the time?

Was it clear that she was never at any stage consented, or did she consent due to pressure from her boyfriend, only to feel bad about that later? Of course it's dreadful behaviour whether or not she consented, and hopefully the players involved will be dealt with, but to suggest they're not looking innocent is unfair based on the information released to date.

I'm not going to sugarcoat this kind of behaviour, like St.Kilda fans have done over and over for the sake of protecting their players.

Innocent perhaps was the incorrect term used, but it's a relative term. Innocent maybe in the eyes of law, but not in what is expected of them.

If a young woman is surrounded by 4-5 guys, intimidated, pressured and goes along with it out of fear, then it's still poor form by the men involved regardless of whether she "consented".

The fact of the matter is - if News Limited's version is accurate - the players took advantage and, along with her supposed boyfriend, pressured her into it.

The young woman aside (who I obviously feel for), the only other thing I'm interested in is protecting the name of the Collingwood FC.

We've seen what indiscretions have done to the branding of a club. West Coke Eagles, St.Kilda rapists, Carlton last year, for example ... I don't want us to have that stigma.

I've never quite understood why people do this kind of thing? I've been part of footy club end of season trips for many years - and not once has it occurred to us to do this kind of thing? How is it seen at all as a turn on? I just don't get this new faze that seems to have taken off in footy circles.

I've never quite understood why people do this kind of thing? I've been part of footy club end of season trips for many years - and not once has it occurred to us to do this kind of thing? How is it seen at all as a turn on? I just don't get this new faze that seems to have taken off in footy circles.

It's not just footy circles, Jonno, it's a consequence of the sexualisation of society in general. But lads need to understand that sex doesn't come as an extra with a burger, chips and a swag of frothies.

Why doesn't the AFL jump all over this and team up with a Charity (Just say No Campaign or something similar) to improve the education of AFL players and supporters.

Use the Media hype to get a positive message out about these types of incidents. They would be seen as world leaders tackling the major issues facing their sport head on, they should have done this with drugs, drink driving etc.

Turn the bad publicity into an education session for everyone it's the perfect time to do it. Instead of shying away the AFL should step up and ensure that these type of events don't happen due to lack of education and support from their side.

It's not just footy circles, Jonno, it's a consequence of the sexualisation of society in general. But lads need to understand that sex doesn't come as an extra with a burger, chips and a swag of frothies.

I think that football circles are for whatever reason much more linked to this kind of behaviour then the rest of the public. In fact at least in the NRL it has been suggested that the behaviour was once upon a time encouraged as bonding. On top of that there has been all kind of suggestions that the psychology of "going to battle" together and team unity etc makes people more likely to be open to this kind of thing. I haven't seen the studies so I don't know how much fact is behind it but there is certainly enough school of thought and evidence to think this is at least a much bigger problem in football circles.

For a brilliant peice of stand up on the topic Brendon Burn (aussie comic based in U.K) has a brilliantly twisted view of it, very funny although possibly a bit dark or graphic for some.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sexual assault allegations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back