Sexual assault allegations

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: F!@#ing Great... sex assault allegations

The statement that "forensic tests show injuries consistent with rape" is not really surprising in an instance like this. It seems a case where sex has occurred between the woman and 2 men, one of whom she says it was consensual and the other not.

I don't want to get graphic but the tests may just show some soft tissue damage consistent and/or fluids etc. They may be consistent but not evidence of rape because at the end of the day it is "consent or lack of' that will determine if a crime has been committed. These cases are very difficult.

I'm not making any assertions here, just pointing out why this statement is not necessarily evidence of a crime.

If a player has committed a major sexual crime as what appears to be suggested, then he should obviously be sacked, however, we are likely to be months away from knowing anything.

That describes the whole site/forum. But people still need a forum in which to vent, discuss, whatever they want to do. If you close this thread, all you do is stand accused of trying to bury the subject because its disagreeable. As long as the discussion isn't slanderous, it should be allowed. And of course it will go around in circles and others from other clubs will have their 5 cents worth, but that's what you get in an open forum. Discussion will happen in other forums, especially on this BF site, so why close it on the very forum where it is most pertinent?

Not really. The forum is about those having watched a game making assessments about players, tactics, decisions etc. No-one here is privy to the events this thread is predicated on, nevertheless, people are making some fairly wild assumptions both ways.

Don't see much is lost if the thread was closed, just as a page ripped out of an issue of Woman's Day would not be much of a problem.

Not a great blow to democracy and free speech I would have thought. But by all means, let's keep this gossip column open. It's what our forebears fought for.

Everyone needs to take a breather. The first 72 hours following an 'incident' like this is 50% speculation and 50% complete bullshit in the media. The Australian report is inconclusive at best, and is no doubt bending the truth to maximum breaking point, as well as being pretty vague and ambiguous.

This is not looking good guys. I'm starting to get worried. Another Milne/Montagna situation. Why oh why did this have to happen to us :(

This didn't happen to us, it happened to the woman and the player concerned. And if this turns out the same way as the situation you refer to then I am sure he will be removed from the club.

As soon as i heard it the first thing that came to mind was somebody just trying to tarnish your flag. But Collingwood have had issues recently with players. Its to hard to tell at the moment what the truth is but i can only hope its not true. Not just for Collingwoods sake but for the sake of AFL and all the clubs that play in it. It only takes one person victam or the accused to take down all the players in the afl a notch in the eyes of society.

Lets wait for the facts, this means not from the media

Didn't we learn anything this year with BS Media reports.

Exactly, everything is alleged this and alleged that.

For all we know it may be thrown out tomorrow morning, let the police do their job and remember innocent until proven guilty

Collingwood's biggest basher Understudy has had this to say...

FWIW I'm told theres not much in the allegation and dont worry to much about it

Hopefully said usually reliable source is in a fit state and not off his tree on mad Monday ...

I was expecting him to blame the incident on Eddie and MM to be honest.

IF it all turns out to be the worst-case scenario, and an assault has taken place, then it's a life-destroying event for all concerned. Whichever boy is involved is lost, and will have the rest of his life to regret it.

But the story so far sounds disturbingly like the Andrew Lovett case, and I find that odd.

IF it turns out that there is calculation involved, there's only one way to possibly save his footy career - he has to marry the girl. How that may be managed, and what may follow after is another matter.

I'm fully aware that the lads are responsible for their own actions, but I'm disappointed that minders, CCTV, bromide and alcohol bans weren't all brought into play to prevent just this scenario. This is how burgeoning dynasties wither on the vine.:thumbsdown::mad::thumbsdown:

Wish I was at the club when the reporter wanted a quote. I would've gone nuts.

Seriously let the facts come out and then come down to the club for a comment. What is the club going to say. Yes the boys r*ped her. FFS, gotta love the gutter.

As soon as i heard it the first thing that came to mind was somebody just trying to tarnish your flag. But Collingwood have had issues recently with players. Its to hard to tell at the moment what the truth is but i can only hope its not true. Not just for Collingwoods sake but for the sake of AFL and all the clubs that play in it. It only takes one person victam or the accused to take down all the players in the afl a notch in the eyes of society.

Huh? I was in the mind that our players have been excellent this season (up to this point of course) and over the last few in the way they conducted themselves, unless I missed something?

I seriously hope this isn't true and I will hold my opinion until the correct information on the matter is released. Until then I will be neutral and support both the CFC, the team, the alleged player/s involved (innocent until proven guilty) and also the alleged victim who, if this is true, would be in in a state of disarray at the moment and I hope she receives the support she needs to overcome the traumatic event (once again, if this is true).

Don't like the hatred coming from some supporters here though. I think accusing whoever is involved and saying 'they should be kicked from the club and AFL' is just stupid since we barely have any information on the subject and we seriously can't comment on what will happen until we understand the circumstances of the story.

Still.... has dampened the win to an extent... but I'm still so happy we ARE PREMIERS OF '10. :D

You know the old saying...Collingwood sells newspapers.. what's going to be on the front page of The HUN tomorrow? exactly, Journo's are going to make this as bad as it sounds. At first i was shitting bricks about this, i'm going to stay calm and focus on our premiership win.

The statement that "forensic tests show injuries consistent with rape" is not really surprising in an instance like this. It seems a case where sex has occurred between the woman and 2 men, one of whom she says it was consensual and the other not.

I don't want to get graphic but the tests may just show some soft tissue damage consistent and/or fluids etc. They may be consistent but not evidence of rape because at the end of the day it is "consent or lack of' that will determine if a crime has been committed. These cases are very difficult.

I'm not making any assertions here, just pointing out why this statement is not necessarily evidence of a crime.

If a player has committed a major sexual crime as what appears to be suggested, then he should obviously be sacked, however, we are likely to be months away from knowing anything.

"The woman has been examined by police forensic officers and was found to have injuries consistent with rape, it is alleged."

Injuries consistent with rape would be totally different than that of consensual sex

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The woman has been examined by police forensic officers and was found to have injuries consistent with rape, it is alleged."

Injuries consistent with rape would be totally different than that of consensual sex

Kirby, a lawyer, wrote;

They may be consistent but not evidence of rape because at the end of the day it is "consent or lack of' that will determine if a crime has been committed. These cases are very difficult.

He knows what he's talking about.

This is not looking good boys. I'm starting to get worried. Another Milne/Montagna situation. Why oh why did this have to happen

This is not looking good boys. I'm starting to get worried. Another Milne/Montagna situation. Why oh why did this have to happen

I'm afraid that as it is with life, so it is with footy. The notion of the "Saint's Bubble" for example, is all just media tripe. A club as prominent as the Pies, especially after winning a premiership, is doubly vulnerable, and must be ruthless in managing the affair.

This comment relates to the general issue, not specific cases or this allegation in particular.

Seeing as this issue keeps raising its ugly head, I have a different take, I worry about naive young men living in the cosseted fantasy world of AFL. They're ripe for the picking by predatory behaviours.

That's not to say that bad things haven't been perpetrated by AFL players. I expect they have. In those instances the existing laws are sufficient provided evidence is adequate. I worry about the player's vulnerability to the false allegations of gold diggers and attention seekers.

I'll pose the question, given the lengths AFL and clubs have gone to educate players on behaviour and standards expected of them and assuming the vast majority observe acceptable social norms, how can these young men be protected from predation?

Are they expected to carry around pro forma contracts? (If you get slipped a mickey or lose it are you then guilty by default?) Should false allegations against high profile targets carry more severe penalties?

I just see the whole issue as a horrendous legal morass. I can think of few groups in society who are so vulnerable to false allegations, fraud and extortion and who are so ill-equipped to handle, prevent or protect themselves from those types of allegations and actions.

The official 'win a flag and become more depressed than ever' thread.

Well I thought this would be the happiest time of my life.....
The happenings of today has pretty much completely ruined it!!

Note: This could possibly be the worst thread ever but I'm sure there are others that feel exactly how I do right now..... Empty, Shattered, Gutted and Livid!

Just let the club and police handle this and focus on enjoying our premiership win. Don't let the a holes on the main board or elsewhere detract from your enjoyment of our great day.

The Pies are the 2010 Premiers, rejoice!

Re: The official 'win a flag and become more depressed than ever' thread.

Well I thought this would be the happiest time of my life.....
The happenings of today has pretty much completely ruined it!!

Note: This could possibly be the worst thread ever but I'm sure there are others that feel exactly how I do right now..... Empty, Shattered, Gutted and Livid!

I certainly haven't let it get to me that much, and don't think it should. It has taken the winds out of the sales a tad because of the slight worry / hope that its not true. The fact is nothing at all is going to erase the memories and the emotions of the last 48 hours, or two weeks for that matter. If you want to feel the buzz again just watch the replay :)

In all honesty regardless of what happens this will all blow over eventually. The club will go on and be succesful regardless (much like the Lovett saga didn't impact St Kilda on-field) and one way or another this event will fade for the supporters (although unfortunately that is not true for the players and woman involved regardless of the outcome) The memories, feelings and that 15th flag however will never fade.

Don't let this ruin your moment because it really isn't directly related.

You shouldn't get so invested in what players do off field.

I'm not depressed, but really disappointed as TD said. Watched the GF replay again with Dad, and whenever I saw the allegedly accused player was just incredibly angry. If it's true, which I really really hope it's not, I hope the club come down on hard on him because there have been a few incidents this year and having seen him around know that he seriously needs to pull his head in. Hope I'm not over stepping the mark in saying what I have - Mods can delete.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sexual assault allegations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back