SFL 2010 Division 1 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a more serious note , the stkilda city football club sends there condolensces to the family of Bev White who passed away over the weekend, Bev was a fantastic servant of the league for many years and she will be missed greatly. RIP Bev

Hear, Hear. Well said mate.

Happy Easter Danny Jacobs...confirmed on the weekend whilst in a little town 300kms from CBD...... $30,000 a year. PM colts are bleeding after a white knight (former boxer) was paying him extra on the side to be a colt. Time will tell ! Good luck to him....and the quality in the SFL ranks.

Happy Easter Danny Jacobs...confirmed on the weekend whilst in a little town 300kms from CBD...... $30,000 a year. PM colts are bleeding after a white knight (former boxer) was paying him extra on the side to be a colt. Time will tell ! Good luck to him....and the quality in the SFL ranks.
are you drunk

No he is not drunk. I can confirm that rumour is absolute FACT.

From the horses mouth.

I have nothing to do with st.kilda city and i'm not exactly sure on DJ's payments but the rest of the rumour is false 100%, danny still works for the so called white knight and obviously colts were dissapointed he has left but no animosty what so ever.

From the horses mouth.
the first statement was funny now you've used the big footy special 'FACT from the horses mouth' .....that is just the most predictable line...it must be true if you're saying it as "FACT" :rolleyes:....so not only are you stalking mimo you're are holding conversations danny jacobs?....lol

Also got it from the horses mouth that Littorio was a good thing at Sydney on the weekend @ 17's...kaaaching$$$$. Famililar sound for many in the SFL at present.

Certainly was the return of the pies on Saturday. Would a Paul Wheatley bomb have made it passed the goal square for a 6 pointer Return of the Pies?:thumbsu: Cant wait to watch him kick in this year on the small grounds to a leading Taranto!

Alright lads only a few days to go before the first ball is bounced in 2010, so it's prediction time. Here are mine...feel free to add in yours!

Premier: Chelsea Heights
Top 5: Chelsea Heights, St Kilda City, Cheltenham, St Pauls, Mordialloc (no particular order)
Relegation: Heatherton
Div 2 Premier: Clayton (over Oakleigh Dist.)
League B+F: Phil Smith (Chelsea Heights)
Leading Goalkicker: Murray Silver
Recruit with biggest impact: Smith/Paul Wheatley (St Pauls)/Luke Kirkland (Mordi)

Good luck to all sides in 2010.

haven't stalked Mimi for a while now. not worth it since he left the gay farm. Yes have held discussions with Danny. Also spoken Ezra and a couple of your other high end recruits. I'd also be weary of the fact people are informed on the exact amount DJ is getting paid as it is becoming unsettling for others in your team who, whilst still being overpaid, think they should be on a bit more. Unfortunately it will be to no avail either, as you will not win the flag.

Anyways, enough of the chit chat with a bunch of nuffies who keep denying the truth, consequently, making you idiots look the fools,
my thoughts on the year.

Chelsea to win a close grand final against st pauls.
Dingley 3rd.
St Kilda 4th
Mordi 5th

Cheltenham to be the unsurprising drifters of the comp. finishing well down the ladder.

Oakleigh to win div 2 and replace heatherton.

league b & f - Frosty (Dingley)

Goal Kicker - Walsh (Chelsea)

Look forward to hearing more nonsense from you st kilda in-breds and Cheltenham pea-hearts.

To all the rest, good luck and have a great season.

From the horses mouth.

Fact, is the figure is absolute crap and i know because I negotiated it , in fact its unfair on Danny to have such crap written,very down to earth bloke but thats footy and people will believe what they want to believe.

Danny is comfortable playing with his mates for reasonable coin and pretty much building his footy clinics business, the money that been quoted wouldnt be available in the SFL, but probably in EFL or up near the border where the money trees are!

Fact, is the figure is absolute crap and i know because I negotiated it , in fact its unfair on Danny to have such crap written,very down to earth bloke but thats footy and people will believe what they want to believe.

Danny is comfortable playing with his mates for reasonable coin and pretty much building his footy clinics business, the money that been quoted wouldnt be available in the SFL, but probably in EFL or up near the border where the money trees are!

hahahah, here we go again.

Like a broken record you people are.

Premier: St Pauls - 2 gun recuits, virtualy no losses.
Top 5: St Pauls, St Kilda City, Cheltenham, Chelsea Heights, East Brighton
Relegation: Springvale Districts tough to cover loss of Vassallo, Wells, Charles, Scott etc...
Div 2 Premier: Clayton
League B+F: Miles Quinn
Leading Goalkicker: Murray Silver
Recruit with biggest impact: Trent Hotton (TM)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pull up mate, i think you've missed the point, I know and dont expect any
any compensation or consideration, people get on here and bang on about junior development and paying players etc;etc but the reality is many clubs never see there better kids in there jumpers.

Also I wasnt talking about my club "who compensates clubs at our level for that? " I MEANT METRO FOOTY IN GENERAL JUST SAID SOTUHERN AS AN EXAMPLE.

Right now we are in great position all round with juniors, but whats the future of local footy when all the talented juniors leave you at 16?

Many clubs have folded over the last few years because of it and many kids are giving up footy at 17/18 because the promises made about there future never eventuate and get discenchanted with VFL & TAC clubs.

and Many kids are floundering in the VFL reserves system with no hope of going on for 2-3 years and never return to there clubs because they are disenchanted with football!

The balance is way out of whack and slowly will destroy metro footy!

Also why havent StPauls got a colts team this year in and area thats full of teenagers?

Pretty straightforward answer:
Bentleigh,Ormond,Old Haileybury,Oakleigh,Glen Eira,Murrumbeena,
East Brighton,Highett and St Pauls are within 7-10km radius all trying to attract the same kids, albeit different competitions.Added to that you have the private schools and their competitions.Its been a while since I have been down at St.Kilda City, but who are the competitors in your area? I agree that once you lose the kids it is very hard to get them back,but the above clubs are fighting each other year in and year out to recruit from a limited pool.Sooner or later some of the above clubs will fold or merge.

Pull up mate, i think you've missed the point, I know and dont expect any
any compensation or consideration, people get on here and bang on about junior development and paying players etc;etc but the reality is many clubs never see there better kids in there jumpers.

Also I wasnt talking about my club "who compensates clubs at our level for that? " I MEANT METRO FOOTY IN GENERAL JUST SAID SOTUHERN AS AN EXAMPLE.

Right now we are in great position all round with juniors, but whats the future of local footy when all the talented juniors leave you at 16?

Many clubs have folded over the last few years because of it and many kids are giving up footy at 17/18 because the promises made about there future never eventuate and get discenchanted with VFL & TAC clubs.

and Many kids are floundering in the VFL reserves system with no hope of going on for 2-3 years and never return to there clubs because they are disenchanted with football!

The balance is way out of whack and slowly will destroy metro footy!

Also why havent StPauls got a colts team this year in and area thats full of teenagers?[/quote]

The junior club went through a quiet period where we had a few holes in certain age groups. Last years colts were lucky to have a bench most weeks, whilst still making the grand final.

This year there is about 5 of those players comming up to senior level, and no under 17 team to step up into colts. So those who don't want to play senior levels have gone to other teams in the interim.

We have an under 17's team which isn't bad and after this year, they will be the ones that step up into the colts and continue it on from there.

Also there is a lot of teams around the south eastern suburbs area. Within close vicinity we have Ormond, St Peters (juniors only), St Pauls, Murrumbeena, Oakleigh, Bentleigh etc so it always isn't easy getting players on the park as we are all in competition with each other. Add to that the popularity increase in soccer and you can see why we went through a quiet period.

The juniors from here on out should be fine, and after this year, we should have a colts team every year for many years to come.

I answered along similar lines 1969, lots of clubs in a small area means limited talent pool.

Do you know something that we all don't about the Vampires RotP?

Would be good to see them return to finals footy

Nah not really, was just a smoky to throw up. I do think they will be an improved side. Looking at their recruiting it appears there will be more depth. Their best 6-8 players from last year are still there, and they were OK, just dropped away.

Probably stiff to leave out Mordi, who with Dingley should be in the mix. I guess we will know more in 48 hours!

Good season preview in this weeks Leader Newspaper. Goes through each teams gains and losses and speaks with each coach. Tailored to the teams in each area (Bayside had E.Brighton, Hampton, Black Rock etc. Moorabbin-Kingston had Chelt, Dingley, Heatherton, St Pauls..)

Lets hope they keep it up then because generally speaking the coverage is pretty lousy when the league is supposedly sponsored by The Leader, 2-3 token and very generic paragraphs doesn't warrant going out of your way to read.

Good work superfreak - Do you know if you can read the previews, etc. online? Otherwise I guess you would have to somehow get a copy of the paper from each municipal area to read about how the other teams are shaping up.

Here are the previews from each paper...

PORT PHILLIP LEADER
Recruits, youngsters have City excited about season

REIGNING Southern Football League premier St Kilda City will unveil an impressive array of new talent in Saturday’s opening round clash against St Pauls East Bentleigh at the Peanut Farm.
‘‘We’ve lost a few good ones, but picked up a few good ones,’’ was dual premiership coach Richard Houston’s laconic appraisal of his team’s recruiting efforts over the summer.
The Saints will be bolstered by former Port Colts star and ex-Essendon and Hawthorn defender Danny Jacobs, as well as another Colt, Chris Brannan.
Defender Jason O’Donnell has crossed from Upwey Tecoma and another recruit of note is speedy onballer Tom Farrelly, who won Torquay’s best-and-fairest award last season.
Big Steve Arvanitis has returned to the club after a stint at Tooradin, and Houston is excited about the prospects of youngsters Max Brewen, Zio Holdinghausen and Tom Gillett, up from the Colts.
Mimo Dimachki (Goulburn Valley), Dave Sheahan (Nyora), Glenn Krepp and Daniel Ward (Central Murray), along with Mick Stinear and Nathan Harris (both to De La Salle), are among the good players who have departed the Peanut Farm.
The Saints will unfurl their 2009 Southern league division one and Colts premiership pennants on Saturday and will also have a past players’ gathering.
City was in the news for the wrong reasons in January when it was revealed it had taken up a sponsorship with a brothel. The Southern league soon ended it.
Football manager Rod Gamlin said: “After a turbulent off-season we are looking forward to seeing the players in action, especially our younger players who are the future of the club.
‘‘Premierships are hard to win and even harder to defend.
‘‘Our players understand that and we as a club expect to give it an almighty shake for the fourth year running.’’

MOORABBIN-KINGSTON LEADER
New look for Dingoes

DINGLEY will have at least four new faces in its team for Friday night’s Southern league seasonopening clash with Springvale Districts at Newcomen Rd. Ex-Drouin spearhead Dean Tunbridge will line up at fullforward and Daniel Tunik from the Oakleigh Chargers will probably fill the centre-half-forward position. Former Ormond defender Ryan Dolman and ex-Mordialloc utility Zac Green will also make their debuts with the Dingoes.
Unfortunately, the visitors will be without inspirational rover Brett Lavars, who may miss up to six weeks with a broken hand.
The other major losses for the Dingoes are retirees Brett Gniel and Cameron Main. Gniel however, will continue to help out in the reserves.
Coach Adam Quinn believes the recruits and improvement from Daniel Turcarelli, Luke Bartholomew, Tim Ford and Jack Clausen will have his team pushing into the top five.
St Pauls East Bentleigh under second-year coach Paul Howroyd, has the best recruit of them all in ex-Melbourne defender Paul Wheatley.
He can be expected to be a dominating player for the Doggies, who tackle their 2009 grand final conquerer, St Kilda City, first up at the Peanut Farm.
Ex-Cheltenham forward Andy Taranto, utility Ben Iacano from Northcote Park and defender Josh McGarry (Oakleigh) are among the other new signings at McKinnon Reserve. The Doggies are also enthusiastic about their up-and-comers from the Colts in Matt Heibstreit, Rhys Peet, Keiran Knox and Matt O’Connor, among others.
Grand veterans Damen Shaw and Mark Dessent have retired.
Heatherton, promoted after last year’s division two premiership, is expected to be competitive in the top grade.
While four-time SFL premiership coach John Bennett believes the Tunners will be a little better than last year, a meeting with 2009 runner-up Chelsea Heights is a tough way to kick off the season.
The Tunners will be looking to 2006 premiership player Corey Grenfell, back from overseas, ex-Dandenong back-pocket Paul Doubakis and promising forward Adam Sparrow from Cheltenham to fill the void.
Cheltenham will be looking to cover the loss of gun forwards Taranto (St Paul’s) and Dominic Dunne, who will play a few games for Knox before heading overseas. ‘‘Those two kicked 120 goals between them last season and they’re big losses, but we’ve recruited well and expect to improve on last season,’’ coach Brett Shalders said.
The Rosellas will be buoyed by the return of ruckman Ewen McKenzie, who missed last season with a broken leg, while Ant Symes is back after a shoulder injury. New faces at Weatherall Road include former Ormond wingman Jarrod Lee, and defenders Justin Tolley (Oakleigh Amateurs) and Tom Cornish (Old Scotch).
Jarrod Martin has returned from Queensland, while the signing of ex-Old Brighton spearhead Tom Mentiplay should help fill the void up forward.

SPRINGVALE-DANDENONG LEADER
Districts kick off under lights

CLINT Einsiedel knows Springvale Districts won’t be worldbeaters this season, but he’s convinced the club is starting out on the road to prosperity.
In his first senior coaching job, the former East Brighton captain and premiership player saw some of the Districts’ best players leaving just as he was arriving.
Champion Gav Vassallo, Nigel Scott, Mark Charles, Waata Wells and John McMurray were among the departees.
It set in motion a rebuilding phase for the Southern league division one club.
Einsiedel says the Demons have recruited a lot of young players around whom a decent team can be contructed.
‘‘It is going to be a challenging year, that’s for sure, just in regards to the lack of experience, but in the long-term the club will be better off,’’ he said.
‘‘I’m happy to be going in with young blokes and helping them get better. They don’t have any fear. They’re not worried about who they take on.
‘‘The more games they get under their belts, the better off they’ll be.’’
He said fitness would be an asset of the side.
Former Balmain (AFL Sydney) pair Daniel Turner, a centre half forward who spent part of the preseason at Port Melbourne, and Jack Dickins, a utility, are the most advanced of the newcomers.
‘‘ They’ve got a lot of class,’’ Einsiedel said.
Anthony Bernardo and tall Luke Grabowski, both from Narre Warren, will also feature in the top team.
Einsiedel said Trevor Kumetaitis, Brad Bruni, Jay Piggin and Tim Beech had exceptional pre-seasons and would be better players in their second year of senior football. Springvale Districts opens the SFL season on Friday, hosting Dingley under improved lights at Newcomen Rd.
The clubs have developed an intense rivalry since the Dingoes joined the SFL in 2007.
Former Noble Park forward Adam Quinn is again coaching Dingley. He believes the recruitment of key forwards Dean Tunbridge (Drouin) and Danny Tunik (Oakleigh Chargers) and improvement from Daniel Turcarelli, Luke Bartholomew, Tim Ford and Jack Clausen will push his team into the top five.
Stalwarts Brett Gniel and Cameron Main have retired.
Einsiedel said Springvale Districts supporters would need to be patient, but he hoped they would find the team’s style attractive. We want the guys to take the game on, run and move the ball quickly,’’ he said. The Districts will name their new captain this week, with Luke Swan, Brendan Ashman, Luke Woolrich and Kris Thompson in contention.
Meanwhile the new social club at Newcomen Rd is expected to have an official opening in mid-May.

MORDIALLOC-CHELSEA LEADER
New blood at Mordialloc

MORDIALLOC hosts Cheltenham at Ben Kavanagh Reserve on Saturday in a replay of last year’s Southern league division one elimination final.
The Bloods kick off the season intent on building on their first finals appearance in a decade.
With Aaron Martello again at the helm, Mordi will unveil an impressive array of new faces, including John McConnell (Chelsea), Adam Biszko ( Bonbeach), Nick Connellan ( Edithvale-Aspendale), Tim Mavrick (St Bedes Mentone) and Matthew Hinds (Beaumaris).
Sharpshooter Luke Kirkland has returned after a season at Black Rock.
The Bloods will be without Adrian Matthews for the season (knee) while Anthony Kelly has moved on.
Chelsea Heights meets the promoted Heatherton and should be too strong.
The Demons have recruited well, with a handful of former Edithvale-Aspendale players among the haul.
Key defenders Trent Downey and Rhett Moore and goalkicking utility Mark Fitcher have crossed from the Combine, while Phil Smith has returned to SFL ranks from Catani.
‘‘Well have about six changes from our grand final side,’’ coach Ryan Flack said.
‘‘We’ve lost Travis Coote and Dave Jensen, who have retired, and Chris Vlahov has returned to Western Australia.’’
But Flack was keen to talk about the youngsters pushing their way into the side from the Colts.
‘‘Rory O’Reilly did a terrific job in the ruck in our practice match against Warragul and young flanker James Spicer is also sure to be in the mix somewhere,’’ he said.
The Heatherton faithful will be hoping for a better showing than the club’s last foray into the top division.
While four-time SFL premiership coach John Bennett believes the Tunners will be a ‘‘little better than last year’’, the test against 2009 runner-up Chelsea Heights is a tough way to start.
Bennett will have to replace experienced campaigners Clint Einsiedel and Matt Wardell, who have crossed to Springvale Districts as coach and assistant coach respectively, while Ben Skinner has moved to Old Brighton in the amateurs.
The Tunners will be looking to 2006 premiership player Corey Grenfell, back from overseas, ex-Dandenong back-pocket Paul Doubakis and promising forward Adam Sparrow from Cheltenham to fill the void.
The signing of an ex-Sandringham Dragons onballer is also a plus for the club.

BAYSIDE LEADER
Newcomers have East optimistic

EAST Brighton opens the Southern league on Saturday with a match against Tooronga Malvern at Hurlingham Park and coach Barry Hope is looking for his team to build on its steady progress.
‘‘We’ve kept our list intact and added some quality to it,’’ he explained.
‘‘I’m pleased with out recruiting. It’s what we needed to do.’’ Former Bacchus Marsh onballer Peter Larsen and Brent Crawley, a ruckman from Mulgrave, will be among the new faces in red-and-white.
Ex-De La Salle pair Daniel Reid (half-forward) and defender Nathan Stewart will also make their debuts with the Vampires.
The Combine will be coached for the first time by former Clayton reserves coach Simon Pasinati, who has promised a harder outfit.
‘‘I think the club realises it’s been far too nice in the past,’’ he told Leader recently.
Pasinati’s campaign will be bouyed by the addition of ex-Collingwood and Carlton star Trent Hotton to the club’s ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back