SFL Division 1 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Dingley thinking of going to the EFL ? If so, which Div would they join, as they wouldn't want to start in D4. What do you think ?
Someone stirring the pot. Dingley have no interest in going to the EFL and haven't spoken about it. 7 years ago we got out of the MPNFL because we couldn't afford to compete. Why would we go to the EFL with Noble Park, Vermont, Balwyn ect. Our current committee work their arses off to look after the local kids we have got. That's why we had to let Marcus Freeman go to Noble at the start of the year because our $100 offer wasn't as good as their $350 for a 19 year old kid.

A
Someone stirring the pot. Dingley have no interest in going to the EFL and haven't spoken about it. 7 years ago we got out of the MPNFL because we couldn't afford to compete. Why would we go to the EFL with Noble Park, Vermont, Balwyn ect. Our current committee work their arses off to look after the local kids we have got. That's why we had to let Marcus Freeman go to Noble at the start of the year because our $100 offer wasn't as good as their $350 for a 19 year old kid.
A few people are talking about it not just one

To be honest, I hear most things that are going on the SFL from Division 1 clubs, and I haven't once heard any suggestion of Dingley going to the EFL. As Rhino said, it makes little to no sense.

Dingley have just established themselves as a power of the SFL, claiming their first Div 1 flag is the next thing on their agenda....not moving East.

Couldn't afford to compete? How much do you think MPNFL clubs have to spend per year to compete? From memory Dingley were around 110k mark the year you finished 5th, and i'm sure with Francis and a few others that figures only increased?

It's scary how much money needs to be raised to cover expenses for any club, with league fees hovering around 34k mark, then trainers wages, strapping, player payments, council fees etc.

Couldn't afford to compete? How much do you think MPNFL clubs have to spend per year to compete? From memory Dingley were around 110k mark the year you finished 5th, and i'm sure with Francis and a few others that figures only increased?

It's scary how much money needs to be raised to cover expenses for any club, with league fees hovering around 34k mark, then trainers wages, strapping, player payments, council fees etc.
110K included Coaches, Moorwood, Kappler, Collins. You would be looking at 30K there. They also bring there own Sponsors in Carlisle Homes ect which covers half of that. In their 4th year and with the development of the young kids I think that was a worthwhile investment. Player wage bill is 70K - 80K I reckon and they have been trying to get that down since leaving the MPNFL. Francis approached Dingley so he is not on as much as you think. We lost Matt Freeman, Steve Vinen and we pick up Francis. The wage bill would be still very similar to the last 2- 3 years.

110K included Coaches, Moorwood, Kappler, Collins. You would be looking at 30K there. They also bring there own Sponsors in Carlisle Homes ect which covers half of that. In their 4th year and with the development of the young kids I think that was a worthwhile investment. Player wage bill is 70K - 80K I reckon and they have been trying to get that down since leaving the MPNFL. Francis approached Dingley so he is not on as much as you think. We lost Matt Freeman, Steve Vinen and we pick up Francis. The wage bill would be still very similar to the last 2- 3 years.
Francis is on $750 and his old man approached you as he felt on the outer at EB ( Dingley did approach Francis the year before ). Bolger is on $500 and im sure Williams didn't leave Frankston for nothing.
I reckon you spend more than anyone and there is no shame in that. You have easily the biggest following and have the sources to pull in more money than the rest.Dingley is like a small country town where the whole community gets behind them, and are the envy of other clubs in that aspect.
With EB's season ending injuries, and St.Pauls not travelling as well as previous seasons, 2014 is theirs to lose.

Francis is on $750 and his old man approached you as he felt on the outer at EB ( Dingley did approach Francis the year before ). Bolger is on $500 and im sure Williams didn't leave Frankston for nothing.
I reckon you spend more than anyone and there is no shame in that. You have easily the biggest following and have the sources to pull in more money than the rest.Dingley is like a small country town where the whole community gets behind them, and are the envy of other clubs in that aspect.
With EB's season ending injuries, and St.Pauls not travelling as well as previous seasons, 2014 is theirs to lose.
Dingley do have a cotorie supporters group that is separate to the footy club and they raise and give money to the footy club for player recruiting. Not sure on those figures, $750 and $500 seem way off the mark. Bolger hasn't played for a few years so I don't think he is that good a negotiator. Moorwood coached him in Juniors. Francis would be our highest paid and money would be funded by the coterie group. I would have thought $450 max unless he or Graham have told you different.

Dingley do have a cotorie supporters group that is separate to the footy club and they raise and give money to the footy club for player recruiting. Not sure on those figures, $750 and $500 seem way off the mark. Bolger hasn't played for a few years so I don't think he is that good a negotiator. Moorwood coached him in Juniors. Francis would be our highest paid and money would be funded by the coterie group. I would have thought $450 max unless he or Graham have told you different.

Don't know what information is been fed to you Raging Rhino, but can confirm Bolger is on that $500 amount as we spoke to him during the preseason as a potential recruit and could not match Dingley's offer. Have heard that Francis is on said amount also, but that is second hand

Don't know what information is been fed to you Raging Rhino, but can confirm Bolger is on that $500 amount as we spoke to him during the preseason as a potential recruit and could not match Dingley's offer. Have heard that Francis is on said amount also, but that is second hand
Could be true, but I know Dingley don't hand out written quotes and it wouldn't be the first time a player has driven his price up by playing club off against club. We did offer Bruno a similar amount last year before finding out he was speaking to several clubs. I assume he went to the highest bidder.
On $750 and $500 if both players play 18 games each that's 22K. Hope it pays off for them because that's decent increase on last year.

Could be true, but I know Dingley don't hand out written quotes and it wouldn't be the first time a player has driven his price up by playing club off against club. We did offer Bruno a similar amount last year before finding out he was speaking to several clubs. I assume he went to the highest bidder.
On $750 and $500 if both players play 18 games each that's 22K. Hope it pays off for them because that's decent increase on last year.

It all adds up, i think most teams that win a flag in that particular year would have a bill of around 50 - 70k player payments.

Sometimes a different structure, e.g. St Paul's, our players that are tradies get jobs at Merkon etc so that's another aspect to consider.

Regardless, as i mentioned it makes it tough to survive as a club year on year but Dingley have the supporter base, with that country kind of feel, that has helped them get to where they are.

The appointment of the coaching staff that they have in place was also a major contributor as they've done a great job with list management/development.

I still think the season is open as EB will get players back from injuries and we are always a tough team to beat on our day, but at this point in time Dingley are out in front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all adds up, i think most teams that win a flag in that particular year would have a bill of around 50 - 70k player payments.

Sometimes a different structure, e.g. St Paul's, our players that are tradies get jobs at Merkon etc so that's another aspect to consider.

Regardless, as i mentioned it makes it tough to survive as a club year on year but Dingley have the supporter base, with that country kind of feel, that has helped them get to where they are.

The appointment of the coaching staff that they have in place was also a major contributor as they've done a great job with list management/development.

I still think the season is open as EB will get players back from injuries and we are always a tough team to beat on our day, but at this point in time Dingley are out in front.
Too true. Trust me no one at Dingley has booked in for Tattoo's. We beat both St Pauls and East Brighton in the first half of last year and yet were 5 or 6 goals off the pace when it counted at the end. A Long year and 2 or 3 injuries to any of those 3 sides will change the team to beat.

Greg Tivendale, I am not sure how the league can hold finals at Linton st, it will cost a fortune to fence the place adequately, it is basically an open park now from every part of the ground. I am baffled that Dingley have not been allocated finals though above Heatherton but must be a reason, those criticising Cannizzo should give him a bit of time, he is trying his best to fill big shoes left by previous CEO Holsworth who was on top of most things as he had an AFL background but was also ex President of a club at Ormond, one thing I remember at a luncheon at Springavle when RDFL and SFL played Holsworth rattled off the SFL rep players from the back line to the interchange at both Colts and senior level, he did his homework - where is he now??.

Greg Tivendale, I am not sure how the league can hold finals at Linton st, it will cost a fortune to fence the place adequately, it is basically an open park now from every part of the ground. I am baffled that Dingley have not been allocated finals though above Heatherton but must be a reason, those criticising Cannizzo should give him a bit of time, he is trying his best to fill big shoes left by previous CEO Holsworth who was on top of most things as he had an AFL background but was also ex President of a club at Ormond, one thing I remember at a luncheon at Springavle when RDFL and SFL played Holsworth rattled off the SFL rep players from the back line to the interchange at both Colts and senior level, he did his homework - where is he now??.

Didn't realise Linton street wasn't fenced off, however i'm sure as part of the redevelopment something like this will be looked at?

Especially if St Kilda go back to training there etc.

Didn't realise Linton street wasn't fenced off, however i'm sure as part of the redevelopment something like this will be looked at?

Especially if St Kilda go back to training there etc.
St Kilda will have a stand alone VFL side playing there from 2016 so i'm sure the facilities and and surrounds will be finished and up to standard by then.

I read in the local newspaper some time ago that the council had spent quite a bit of dough pulling down the fences and that the new plan was to open it up further to the community so I don't reckon they will fence it. The SFL will not make as much money playing finals at Linton st as playing finals at club grounds as the tender fee that clubs pay the league added to the gate that the SFL get will be greater than just the gate fee at Linton st. Food and alcohol sales that host clubs now take during finals will be managed by an outside caterer like all these new venues, and the SFL will not see much of that. In summary not a financially smart move playing finals at Linton st.
Even if St Kilda have a stand alone side the cost to secure the facility now that all the fencing has been removed has not been factored in to this new plan, St Kilda haven't the dough. Best solution is for the Saints to stay at Seaford or move to Junction, give up their 99 year lease of Linton st and allow the Government to develop it for the community, ie footy, cricket, basketball, netball etc, a community sporting hub.

Could always get SFL clubs to tender to run certain aspects i.e Beer tents etc.
Apparently only 5 clubs tendered for finals this year. Dingley has had 2 cracks at it now and probably won't re apply. Probably use the the money to bribe FIFA to host 2026 World Cup instead.
I heard Mordy didn't tender this year because they have put into host Super-rules finals. Apparently the tender is only $1000 and they make more money than they would hosting SFL finals when you take the small tendering dollars into account.

Bit boring.........not even tips for this week!!!!

Chelt vs Dingley might be a cracker, if the right Chelt turns up!

St Pauls vs Bentleigh in the local derby should be good, will be a good crowd for sure.
Any truth in the fact Chelt have about 6 out this week because they flew out to Brazil? Haven't heard this first hand so there may be some mayo on the storey.

Remove this Banner Ad

SFL Division 1 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back