SFNL Division 1 2024 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

4x Euroa boys ex St.Bedes

Money shortage was the rumour, got the tap on the shoulder refused tot take a cut and put some messages in

Barnes (ex st.bedes skip ) decorated VAFA career but was just going at Euroa, Dingley signed him first of the lot - should of kept the powder dry and signed hellier and the Garside boys first who would of suited their line up a lot better and got Barnes abit cheaper who is a dime a dozen in this comp. Tough Lean short sized mid, iffy by foot, son of Vafa legend Russell.
What is the salary cap for division 1 these days?

4x Euroa boys ex St.Bedes

Money shortage was the rumour, got the tap on the shoulder refused tot take a cut and put some messages in

Barnes (ex st.bedes skip ) decorated VAFA career but was just going at Euroa, Dingley signed him first of the lot - should of kept the powder dry and signed hellier and the Garside boys first who would of suited their line up a lot better and got Barnes abit cheaper who is a dime a dozen in this comp. Tough Lean short sized mid, iffy by foot, son of Vafa legend Russell.

Four mercenaries coming in after Round 10.

Imagine trying to sell this as a coach

Contracts mean nothing, hard to hold someone against their will,
Mitch brown was “contracted” for two years as well

Actually not hard at all if they’ve signed it - it would be very hard for them to get out of it.

Generally you would just let them go… but to a club you’re playing against? No way. You can sit the year out son.

Actually not hard at all if they’ve signed it - it would be very hard for them to get out of it.

Generally you would just let them go… but to a club you’re playing against? No way. You can sit the year out son.
On the topic of contracts

Rumour doing the rounds tonight a division 1 club has had a change of heart on a player at the 11th hour that was seeking a clearance to MPNFL that had bounced around for a month back and forth between the clubs and the leagues boards

Was a well known story on the Peninsula but relatively quiet here

Surprising contracts are not binding even though they are signed and agreed upon by both parties prior to the season beginning

Probably got sick of playing for such a terrible side?

The Berwick recruit looked sharp, kicked 4 in the magoos from the middle, will play senior footy.
So when times are tough you go and join a contender in the same league?
Shows the type of character by that action to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear Dingley has picked up 3 from Euroa including a former St Bedes star
That was done via the trio putting in messages Saturday evening, signed Barnes sunday afternoon , negotiated the following players early Monday. Dingley all in to win it , pressure mounting on the coach by the cotirie group, so there is no excuse with an endless salary, Freeman availability was earlier than expected too but missed Saturday. A few uneasy weeks ahead for the home growns who are just at the level with the new acquisitions coming straight in, 2s Coach already planning the celebrations but senior coach has some tough conversations selling the reasoning and vision to the unlucky blokes making way at this time of year.

With what I witnessed Saturday in that senior game, these recruits will need to get firing asap. The gap was evident between the 2 and some of the Dingley boys looked not quite at the mark, bring on the back 12 weeks.

I hear Dingley has picked up 3 from Euroa including a former St Bedes star
All ex-St Bedes at some point. Barnes skipper last year. All more than handy in their day. The ex-VFL skipper would have to be 37 now, the other one 32/33 and Barnes maybe 30/31. Clearly a short-term strategy. I seem to recall Morwood built a strong and successful culture based primarily on home grown talent, with the odd top up. Seems that model has been replaced. Maybe because the junior talent coming through is not what it was but when you adopt this strategy it can potentially go south very quickly.

All ex-St Bedes at some point. Barnes skipper last year. All more than handy in their day. The ex-VFL skipper would have to be 37 now, the other one 32/33 and Barnes maybe 30/31. Clearly a short-term strategy. I seem to recall Morwood built a strong and successful culture based primarily on home grown talent, with the odd top up. Seems that model has been replaced. Maybe because the junior talent coming through is not what it was but when you adopt this strategy it can potentially go south very quickly.

Who are the other 2 players ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That was done via the trio putting in messages Saturday evening, signed Barnes sunday afternoon , negotiated the following players early Monday. Dingley all in to win it , pressure mounting on the coach by the cotirie group, so there is no excuse with an endless salary, Freeman availability was earlier than expected too but missed Saturday. A few uneasy weeks ahead for the home growns who are just at the level with the new acquisitions coming straight in, 2s Coach already planning the celebrations but senior coach has some tough conversations selling the reasoning and vision to the unlucky blokes making way at this time of year.

With what I witnessed Saturday in that senior game, these recruits will need to get firing asap. The gap was evident between the 2 and some of the Dingley boys looked not quite at the mark, bring on the back 12 weeks.
Walmsley & Trent Dennis-Lane also not on the team sheet so will have to slot in as well.

Dingley 2s coach already at the costume shop organising his Mad Monday outfit

Garside / Hellier.

Wasn’t the coach the other day spruiking about how the confident they are to mix it ??

“We’re very confident we can mix it with the best. Sides have seen us at full tilt, it’s probably only been once or twice, but they know the power we possess.

Then they go and get these blokes.
Would hate to be a young fringe player who has done a bit of the work so far .
“Thanks mate but take a back seat now , set your alarm early for the rest of the year “
That is always good for club morale ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The strength of the last 2 season of Dingley U/19s is evident of this in addition to a Dingley juniors with only 6 teams & gap back to U/15s (no U/16s & U/17s).

Geez the term " Mercenaries " is loosly used by some without any knowledge of the situation.
Agree and hard to judge without knowing all the circumstances. If you are doing a 5-6 hour round trip each week and don’t get paid then I think you would be well within your rights to leave and play closer to home. But leaving a battling club mid- season for a contender in the same division does, on face value, have a bit of smell to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back