Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question to the Richmond fans finding the idea of 9 & 16 hilarious. Do you honestly think 9 & 10 are coming to you for Bolton? Contracts clearly mean 4/5ths of **** all these days, and 9 & 16 would be considered fair at best, overs if you're being honest. No media pushback either; Ralph would be pushing "Richmond aren't settling for less than 9 & 10" if that's what they wanted out there. Not sure what you're expecting?
I think the main thing is for the majority (you have to ignore the nuffies) they want 9 and 10 but with salary in it. Salary is an invisible value to fans therefore Richmond peeps will chuck it in and not care and we dont want to acknowledge it because it has no tangible value.

I'm buying the media narrative on 9 and 16 but I can see it being 9 and 10 with significant salary and/or picks coming with it.

I think 9 and 16 gets it done though if Freo are comfortable not needing salary paid

Last edited:
Nope, I've said that all along but if you get him for 9 & 16 we are getting ripped off IMO.

The fact so many Freo fans seem happy to trade 9 & 16 means this trade is more in your favour than ours.
I'll bite considering my post above, contract or not, 9 and 10 requires the player to be a superstar 23 or under IMO. No one goes for that

And I've seen you post decent trades that is shut down by absolute complete nuffies on the Richmond board so I'm not sure why you're now so adamant on 9 and 10

I'll bite considering my post above, contract or not, 9 and 10 requires the player to be a superstar 23 or under IMO. No one goes for that

And I've seen you post decent trades that is shut down by absolute complete nuffies on the Richmond board so I'm not sure why you're now so adamant on 9 and 10

Not adamant on 9 & 10 but I just don't like 16. I get it 16 isn't your problem if it becomes pick 20 and pushed back.

I'm also not too fazed my suggestions get shut down, i try and think how both sides react to a deal, there has to be some middle ground.

I also like to stir a bit so sometimes i post utter crap to get a laugh.

Sorry, i keep adding to my post but I'd be happy for you to trade up picks 9 & 16 for a top 5 pick & F2, not sure if any club would be takers though. Pick 5 & a F2 (doesnt have to be yours) I'd do it.

Last edited:

Not adamant on 9 & 10 but I just don't like 16. I get it 16 isn't your problem if it becomes pick 20 and pushed back.

I'm also not too fazed my suggestions get shut down, i try and think how both sides react to a deal, there has to be some middle ground.
I think that's what different about this trade though. Given Freo's hand, I think we're starting at the mid-ground and are reacting accordingly (the picks have arguably less value to Freo, but still very valuable to Richmond, vice versa for Bolton). Normally you'd be looking at our first, and we'd try to get more; getting in 16 on top would be a major achievement and take some wor, and the Freo board would likely be spewing. Our hand has reset expectations (plus Baker clouded the deal somewhat, and whatever crazy shit GC are doing for Rioli), but the reality is 9 & 10 isn't happening without a huge salary component (which I'm good with). I may well be wrong, but can't see further than 9 & 16 with some salary component, and genuinely see that as a win-win.

Nope, I've said that all along but if you get him for 9 & 16 we are getting ripped off IMO.

The fact so many Freo fans seem happy to trade 9 & 16 means this trade is more in your favour than ours.

I don’t think it’s about more in favour or less. It’s representational of what hand we have. We have 3 first rounders this year.
I’m near certain that if all we had was 9 and 16 and no F1 or pick 10 the masses would be up in arms saying it’s too high a price.

We’re playing with the ‘houses’ money in a dumb sort of analogy.

For every Tiger supporter demanding 9&10 there would be a Freo supporter wanting to give less than 9&16.

We’re just more ‘understanding’ because we can just say ‘ah well. We still have pick 10’

I don’t think it’s about more in favour or less. It’s representational of what hand we have. We have 3 first rounders this year.
I’m near certain that if all we had was 9 and 16 and no F1 or pick 10 the masses would be up in arms saying it’s too high a price.

For every Tiger supporter demanding 9&10 there would be a Freo supporter wanting to give less than 9&16.

We’re just more ‘understanding’ because we can just say ‘ah well. We still have pick 10’
Fair enough.

I think 9 & 16 will probably happen; I personally feel like Shai is better than pick 9 as I look at it from a player-to-player perspective. Whoever we get at pick 9 and pick 16 are those two players going to be better or equal to Shai Bolton? Even if we do reasonably well when it's our time to draft? I'm not sure.

Yeah, if we had just 9, 16 and F1 then I'm sure every Freo peep would be saying 9 and a F1 and Richmond peeps would be 9 and 16. Having more just means people want more - another reason I'll spit chips if we move a first into next year

Genuine question to the Richmond fans finding the idea of 9 & 16 hilarious. Do you honestly think 9 & 10 are coming to you for Bolton? Contracts clearly mean 4/5ths of **** all these days, and 9 & 16 would be considered fair at best, overs if you're being honest. No media pushback either; Ralph would be pushing "Richmond aren't settling for less than 9 & 10" if that's what they wanted out there. Not sure what you're expecting?
I’ve always thought 9 and 16 was reasonable if Fremantle were just taking the player and that seems to be talk coming out of media outlets for whatever that’s worth.

What is unknown is what price the clubs put on Richmond paying any of his contract.

What value supporters have is always over and under called depending on what side of the fence you sit.

I’ve thought 9 and 10 was appropriate seeing as he was in contract and we’d probably be paying a good proportion of his salary. Freo supporters seem ok with paying 9 and 16. So on that basis it’s probably somewhere in the middle that it will land.

Don't Freo want to stock another pick or two next year for Chad Warner? Or is the sentiment on Freo boards that Warner is not super realistic and therefore not worth compromising their hand in this draft?
I think he's Freo's priority number 1 but I see no reason we should have to move more value into next year to satisfy Sydney. He'll be out of contract and we'll have access to two firsts (2025 and 2026). Sydney are making their choice to keep him, that's fine but OOC he chooses where wants and we deal with what we have.

Yeah, if we had just 9, 16 and F1 then I'm sure every Freo peep would be saying 9 and a F1 and Richmond peeps would be 9 and 16. Having more just means people want more - another reason I'll spit chips if we move a first into next year
If we just had 9, we’d be arguing over 9 & F2 or F1. I recon we do the deal with F2 in the end or the Saints pick.

Therefore I’m convinced Richmond will be smoothing out his contract for 9 & 16. Making him be on the top tier section of Freo wages but not more than anybody. 9 & 10 would have to be 1-2m total spread over a number of years.

If we do move a first, it means the Chad negotiations are done I guess (though waiting a year seems a silly unless we're concerned about the Eagles). I'm with you though, I'd rather spend and then pay up what we have next year.

If we just had 9, we’d be arguing over 9 & F2 or F1. I recon we do the deal with F2 in the end or the Saints pick.

Therefore I’m convinced Richmond will be smoothing out his contract for 9 & 16. Making him be on the top tier section of Freo wages but not more than anybody. 9 & 10 would have to be 1-2m total spread over a number of years.
I dont expect any money included for 9 & 16 as it is borderline as it is. Shai is very very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His entire salary will be coming back if it's 9 & 10. More likely 9 & 16 with $3-500k per year of contract paid. Maybe a late pick coming back that Richmond aren't going to use. Win-win as far as I see. Think this'll be done quite quickly, neither club are generally dicks at the trade table, and there's enough to go round.
Wouldn't have thought so. Half maybe.

9 and 16 without Richmond paying his salary is the ideal outcome, I couldn't care less if they contributed to his salary.
Yes but you dont know if the cap dictates we need 400k chucked in which is exactly my point above. Salary paid means nothing to fans but a lot more to club.

Take JOM for example, the salary paid by Hawks - supposedly upwards of 400k from memory, might be the very reason we just kept Noddy and Sturt but hardly anyone on the Freo board brings it up when complaining about the price paid and the trade for JOM. Salary is an invisible asset to supporters

Yes but you dont know if the cap dictates we need 400k chucked in which is exactly my point above. Salary paid means nothing to fans but a lot more to club.

Take JOM for example, the salary paid by Hawks - supposedly upwards of 400k from memory, might be the very reason we just kept Noddy and Sturt but hardly anyone on the Freo board brings it up when complaining about the price paid and the trade for JOM. Salary is an invisible asset to supporters
We could have saved more money not getting him at all.

His entire salary will be coming back if it's 9 & 10. More likely 9 & 16 with $3-500k per year of contract paid. Maybe a late pick coming back that Richmond aren't going to use. Win-win as far as I see. Think this'll be done quite quickly, neither club are generally dicks at the trade table, and there's enough to go round.
No it wont, Bolton in contract is worth every bit of 9 and 16 per other historical trades IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back