Politics Should Australia become a Republic?

Should Australia become a Republic?

• YES

Votes: 144 66.7%
  • NO

Votes: 72 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I was at an Essendon v Adelaide game when her death was announced. The footy was far more important to me.
Coming from a family where emotion is seen as a touch frivolous the English stiff upper lip was always tremendously appealing to me, then they just lost themselves when she died. I spent a week wanting to slap most of the country and tell them to pull themselves together.

Once again.

The House of Commons Briefing Paper, published this year (July 8th), in a country that has an unwritten constitution, states that:

"Most of the King’s prerogatives and all his statutory powers depend upon "advice" from ministers. The responsibility for the monarch’s actions based on that advice rests with the minister who gave it, and that minister is accountable to Parliament. Advice can also come from the Cabinet, Parliament, the Privy Council and judges. Formal advice is constitutionally binding and must be followed by the monarch."
A question - if it is unwritten, how is it concrete and binding? Being bound by historical expectation, or even protocol, is not being bound at all in the face of determined opposition, really.

"Because that's how it has always been as accepted governmental protocol" is a line that doesn't seem legally defensible to me.

Once again.

The House of Commons Briefing Paper, published this year (July 8th), in a country that has an unwritten constitution, states that:

"Most of the King’s prerogatives and all his statutory powers depend upon "advice" from ministers. The responsibility for the monarch’s actions based on that advice rests with the minister who gave it, and that minister is accountable to Parliament. Advice can also come from the Cabinet, Parliament, the Privy Council and judges. Formal advice is constitutionally binding and must be followed by the monarch."

If it was constitutionally bound then the Constitution would enforce it.
But the Constitution does no such thing.
Because it is convention.

And you're deliberately misquoting.

The quote is from Anne Twomey's book "The Veiled Sceptre" and your other expert.
And the full quote includes the word "NORMALLY".

I think I was at an Essendon v Adelaide game when her death was announced. The footy was far more important to me.

What sickened me was the media had been portraying her as a blonde bimbo harlot who had betrayed her royal obligations and slept around with (shock horror) an Arab and was friends with Elton John, a gay man. We were told to think of her as the original Megan Markle.

When she died she suddenly became the “people’s princess” and the media pretended they were on her side the entire time.

That’s what sickens me about the UK royals. How the media tell us how to think about them 24/7. Although I would still want Australia to become a republic I think I could tolerate the concept of a foreign monarchy a bit better if our royals were continental European like the Danish, Dutch or Swedes. They seem to be more down to earth and have real jobs and lives.

Is it possible for you to comment on a subject without wishing someone dead? Doesn't look like it.
That comment is not wishing anyone dead.
It's acknowledging that an aged cohort are holding the nation back, who will naturally go to their graves soon enough to be replaced by younger better educated cohort.

That said I will be over the moon when the lying little shitsain John Howard is in the ground along with Abbott, Morrison and Dutton.
Not so much wishing them dead as hoping that at a Liberal fundraiser held by Gina Rinehart they could all have the Salmon Moose.

We can only hope.

Last edited:
That comment is not wishing anyone dead.
It's acknowledging that an aged cohort are holding the nation back, who will naturally go to their graves soon enough to be replaced by younger better educated cohort.

That said I will be over the moon when the lying little shitsain John Howard is in the ground along with Abbott, Morrison and Dutton.
Not so much wishing them dead as hoping that at a Liberal fundraiser held by Gina Rinehart they could all have the Salmon Moose.

We can only hope.
Saying you want something to happen and IYO it will only happen when people are dead... I just think I'm entitled to come on here and at least be met with a base line of civility. You contradict yourself immediately in the above post, and you have form.

I'm not going to report it because you get banned and come back and do the same thing. And I don't put people on ignore because I don't want to miss what is said. I won't bring it up again.

Saying you want something to happen and IYO it will only happen when people are dead... I just think I'm entitled to come on here and at least be met with a base line of civility. You contradict yourself immediately in the above post, and you have form.

I'm not going to report it because you get banned and come back and do the same thing. And I don't put people on ignore because I don't want to miss what is said. I won't bring it up again.
I think he's talking about generational change, in fairness. Attitudes to homosexuality for instance, although still far from perfect, have improved and a lot of that is through education, but it is ALSO due to older generations passing on and younger generations being more receptive.

Birth. Life. Death. NOBODY escapes the cycle.

What exactly are you entitled too here ?

Do we have to promise to miss you when you die?

I think he's talking about generational change, in fairness. Attitudes to homosexuality for instance, although still far from perfect, have improved and a lot of that is through education, but it is ALSO due to older generations passing on and younger generations being more receptive.

The re are older generations of British migrants who arrived before 1986 who get to vote including in referendum , even though they may not take on Australian citizenship.
I wonder which way they would vote in a republic referendum?

Probably the way this fossil would vote.

‘Snubbing Klingon Charles? He could always come to Victoria. Is he snubbing us?
And the premier sending a representative? Isn’t that what we get with a state governor?
I’m afraid these visits just reinforce the silliness in many peoples eyes

And th ‘Pimms test’ who is this person?

Its not just due to generational change. Thats been happening for millions of years. Likewise its too simple to say education. Education has also been happening for centuries.

Its due to western democratic capitalism which has rejected religion/gods and king/queen/nationalism as its key social driver in favour of human individidualism.

The very system you are against is the very system that has opened up and embraced minorities as equal members of society and humanity. China and Russia arent supportive of such minorities yet they also have very high education rates and the same rate of generational change. And why is that? Their systems dont embrace individualism and the rights of humans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The re are older generations of British migrants who arrived before 1986 who get to vote including in referendum , even though they may not take on Australian citizenship.
I wonder which way they would vote in a republic referendum?

In 2009 there were 163,000 British subjects from about 25 countries from the former British Empire enrolled for a federal electoral division in Australia immediately before 26 January 1984. As such they are eligible to vote in Australian federal elections and referendums.

According to the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC), 17.2 million people were enrolled to vote in the 2022 federal election. Assuming that the 2009 numbers are the same...they're likely less..... the percentage of British subjects entitled to vote is - at the most - 0.0094% of the whole.

They're not all British either.

True but they are kind a part of the same thing. Capitalism is a key part of liberalism. Individual choice involves the choice to save, invest and create.
Agreed, but capitalism is an economic philosophy, liberalism is an idealogical philosophy.

Capitalism is by no means the only driver / enabler of individualism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Politics Should Australia become a Republic?

Back