Should footy fans be concerned about Dustin Martin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surprised they didn't just re-hire Dan "Fall guy" Connors to sack him again like last time.
Lol @ that nickname. Connors was incredibly lucky not to have been sacked a couple of times before he was. Suggesting that he only got the boot to cover Dusty's arse is nonsense.

While it still gets reported, then it must be deemed an issue. If coaches and leadership groups are speaking to him, then it means where there's smoke, there's fire.
Dustin doesn't strike me as an arrogant kid at all. Just a kid who is not overly smart and has led a fairly sheltered life until he burst onto the AFL scene. It's obvious he makes some silly decisions off the field, but he hasn't done anything outright nasty. He hasn't belted anyone, committed a crime etc. He just hangs around with people who don't influence him in a positive way (ie Dan Connors).
I have no doubt the club will do everything it can to help him become a better person and better footballer. But you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Ultimately it's up to Dustin himself how seriously he wants to take his AFL career. .

Good post and I think he is just one of those blokes who is easily led astray but if he keeps making these bad choices how long will Richmond put up with it?

After all clubs overlooked Dayle Garlett for being a talented ****head, I suspect Dustin Martin is lucky he's not 3 or 4 years younger or he may also have found himself on the draft scrapheap. It's not about being PC or media interference, the issue is the distraction to the rest of the club that this form of bad behaviour, poor choices and lack of discipline creates.

Good post and I think he is just one of those blokes who is easily led astray but if he keeps making these bad choices how long will Richmond put up with it?
Depends if the spotfires become bushfires. I've followed this club too long to put my faith in individuals anymore. I/we did it with Richo for the best part of a decade. The club is always bigger than the individual. I'd say he has a few more chances yet. Other than the 'sleeping pill' incident, he doesn't anything else (or anything that has been worthy of being reported about) although it would appear to me that he has probably been making small, stupid decisions since then that the club doesn't want to turn into a big stupid decision (if that makes sense).
Like i said, it's a concern. Kid could be anything and probably will be. But whether Dustin Martin makes it or not, will have little bearing (other than having one very good player on our list) on whether we as a club will taste success or not in the near future.

I am a little concerned. Two things which make me a little less concerned is the fact that Martin has value and can be traded, and the fact that players like Swan exist. I honestly think there are more players like Martin in the league than we realise or care to admit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a little concerned. Two things which make me a little less concerned is the fact that Martin has value and can be traded, and the fact that players like Swan exist. I honestly think there are more players like Martin in the league than we realise or care to admit.
Swan is an excellent example realistically. He's a major bad boy in a **** kind of way, but still gets the job done. And how. His Anzac day, faaark, went off his (fairly ample) ****. And I had a front row seat. Literally :(

it would be a terrible shame, and it's happened before. But mostly, as a Tiger fan, you'd be hoping he finishes his career with Richmond. It's critical that Dimma is able to get the best out of him, because so often the change of environment becomes a key

You clearly desperately want him, and pray that the move to Essendon would turn him around....Fair enough, we'll swap him for Hurley, your first two picks and a quality B grader.

You clearly desperately want him, and pray that the move to Essendon would turn him around....Fair enough, we'll swap him for Hurley, your first two picks and a quality B grader.
896217-kerrigans-in-the-castle.jpg

Maybe some younger posters can englighten us - is he out on the town having too good of a time too regularly and consequently, not up to scratch on the track at Punt Road?
Nothing wrong with his work on the training track, has trimmed down a lot so he can spend more time in the middle. Those who commented earlier that he was getting to big couldn't be more wrong, his body has transformed a lot since his first pre season, the good thing is he will still be strong as an ox just with greater endurance.

You're the one who desperately wants the trade, we're more than happy to keep him, and we're accepting you're damaged good in Hurley (after all, by your logic, he's unlikely to come good without a new environment).

Actually, you're right, Essendon probably needs to sweeten the deal to make it work.

We'd want more than dud Hurley FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back