List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from Williams and corr who else is a FA we would have interest in? I reckon it’s just we’ve had slight interest in just Williams and corr but have been beaten by the $$$ offers from Carlton and norf
While Corr and Williams are free agents, the money they are being paid in a COVID salary cap world is ridiculous, Corr at best is a late top 10 defender with zero offensive qualities, while Williams is being paid based on the prelim final performance from last year against Collingwood

While Corr and Williams are free agents, the money they are being paid in a COVID salary cap world is ridiculous, Corr at best is a late top 10 defender with zero offensive qualities, while Williams is being paid based on the prelim final performance from last year against Collingwood
Yeah agreed, what has Williams achieved to be a top 5 paid player in the comp. can hardly stay for a season as well. Corr serviceable (not a huge fan of him) rather get games into Kosi.

2 year deal from us to smith is very fair but we should offer 3 if that’s what it takes. But after we gave him a chance to play AFL , you’d hope he can repay the faith and sign with us

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also makes me sigh that if Hawks got 2nd rd compo, even after finishing in the bottom 4, that pick is probably out in the 30s in this draft.
Band 3 compo is after our second pick, so should be in the 24-28 range.
Band 4 is end of 2nd round comp, and that will be 36-40

Alot of Speculation regarding where this list is at, I think we are a lot healthier than what the so called media experts think or even a few regular posters on here suggest re a full rebuild. Clarko is a few season's into this and is forming a very competitive side coming thru u27.

Here is a u27 team: Post is relevant the guys in this team should stay on the list... Clarko has found gems in Day,Scrimshaw,Greaves this yr.

FB: Hardwick,Frost,Greaves
Hb:Scrimshaw,Sic,Impey
C: Cousins,Worpel, Jom
HF:Wingard,Lewis,Morrison
FF:Moore, Jeka, Hanrahan
R:Tob,Mitchell,Day
Ic:Finn,Howe,Jones,Walker,Patton

Over - Gunners,Bruest,Shiels,Ceglar Over 30 Mcevoy,Smith,Hendo,Frawley,Burgoyne.

Jonathon Patton 26yr
Tom Mitchell 26yr
Michael Hartley 26yr
Chad Wingard 26yr
Sam Frost 26yr
Darren Minch 26yr
Jaeger O'Meara 26yr
Tim O'Brien 26yr
James Sicily 25yr
Jarman Impey 24yr
Daniel Howe 24yr
Blake Hardwick 23yr
Conor Glass 22yr
James Cousins 22yr
Conor Nash 21yr
Ollie Hanrahan 21yr
Jack Scrimshaw 21yr
Mitch Lewis 21yr
Ned Reeves 21yr
Harry Morrison 21yr
James Worpel 21yr
Harrison Jones 21yr
Changkuoth Jiath20yr
Jackson Ross 20yr
Dylan Moore 20yr
Mathew Walker 20yr
William Golds 19yr

Everyone calm down on Smith.

He is 31 and if he wants to chase long term security ( young family) then we use his salary elsewhere to build and hopefully bring in a player aged 24-26 to help us move forward long term.

No dramas from my end at all if Isaac decides to leave.
Would be Pretty Mad if he leaves for just the extra 1 year from another team after we have him the chance to play AFL. He should back himself in to earn a new contract after the 2 years which he probably would get but oh well best of luck if he goes

Interesting I was listening to Smith on RSN this morning, and Harf was grilling him a little about next season, and his plans. Trying not to read much into it, but he himself didn’t sound over confident he will be running around in a hawks jumper next year, and was very much of the attitude of it will be what it will be. And he didn’t categorically state he will be back...

Reading between the lines it sounds as though he's got a more lucrative offer elsewhere and is waiting for us to improve ours.

Would be Pretty Mad if he leaves for just the extra 1 year from another team after we have him the chance to play AFL. He should back himself in to earn a new contract after the 2 years which he probably would get but oh well best of luck if he goes
Yeah I'd hate to lose him more for his on field leadership qualities & training regimes alone.

Any other club would've given him a chance at some point in the draft. Hawthorn aren't special in that regard. Easy for us to say that a player on the wrong side of 30 should leave a year and a few $100k on the table to 'back themselves'.

Past players always frame these conversations between coaches and players as mature, laying out frankly what the interests of the club and the player are. Isaac is an unrestricted free agent, the ball is entirely in his court. If it suits Isaac to get an extra year, maybe lock in some extra money and try for a fourth premiership then the club will facilitate that.

I hope he wants to stay on with his teammates and help guide the young players.

Any other club would've given him a chance at some point in the draft. Hawthorn aren't special in that regard. Easy for us to say that a player on the wrong side of 30 should leave a year and a few $100k on the table to 'back themselves'.

Past players always frame these conversations between coaches and players as mature, laying out frankly what the interests of the club and the player are. Isaac is an unrestricted free agent, the ball is entirely in his court. If it suits Isaac to get an extra year, maybe lock in some extra money and try for a fourth premiership then the club will facilitate that.

I hope he wants to stay on with his teammates and help guide the young players.
His age doesn’t matter tho, he hasn’t lost any speed and he started his career quite late.

Wouldn't begrudge him after 10 years of solid service. We can't talk about poaching every other player in the comp, and then get mad when our own ones leave. At least it is usually in the twilight of their careers.

Alot of Speculation regarding where this list is at, I think we are a lot healthier than what the so called media experts think or even a few regular posters on here suggest re a full rebuild. Clarko is a few season's into this and is forming a very competitive side coming thru u27.

Here is a u27 team: Post is relevant the guys in this team should stay on the list... Clarko has found gems in Day,Scrimshaw,Greaves this yr.

FB: Hardwick,Frost,Greaves
Hb:Scrimshaw,Sic,Impey
C: Cousins,Worpel, Jom
HF:Wingard,Lewis,Morrison
FF:Moore, Jeka, Hanrahan
R:Tob,Mitchell,Day
Ic:Finn,Howe,Jones,Walker,Patton

Over - Gunners,Bruest,Shiels,Ceglar Over 30 Mcevoy,Smith,Hendo,Frawley,Burgoyne.

Jonathon Patton 26yr
Tom Mitchell 26yr
Michael Hartley 26yr
Chad Wingard 26yr
Sam Frost 26yr
Darren Minch 26yr
Jaeger O'Meara 26yr
Tim O'Brien 26yr
James Sicily 25yr
Jarman Impey 24yr
Daniel Howe 24yr
Blake Hardwick 23yr
Conor Glass 22yr
James Cousins 22yr
Conor Nash 21yr
Ollie Hanrahan 21yr
Jack Scrimshaw 21yr
Mitch Lewis 21yr
Ned Reeves 21yr
Harry Morrison 21yr
James Worpel 21yr
Harrison Jones 21yr
Changkuoth Jiath20yr
Jackson Ross 20yr
Dylan Moore 20yr
Mathew Walker 20yr
William Golds 19yr

If, and this is a big IF - Lewis, Kosi and Jeka take the next step, then we potetially have our key position stocks for the next 5-10 years.

I know none of them have set the world on fire to date (especially Kosi and Jeka who have very recently been recruited), but we must persevere with them as much as possible. We can deal with the midfield and flanks much easier once we set up the bookends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back