List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 966699

Cheat sheet (source Hawk Talk pod)

using the magic number 11, you have a 1 in 2 chance of surviving if your contract expires. Id rate that higher if your strength is a KPP or an outside mid

Or you can bring something that we will miss with Sicily

Don’t know why people are suggesting Morrison should be cut? Not a superstar by any stretch of the imagination but he is a solid player and is still young. Would be absolutely bewildered if he was delisted.
The reason that people don’t like him is the very reason he’ll most likely be kept around.

“he’s just a safe role player”. That he is, and every list needs these types who can be relied on to do the basics while you draft and develop better types.

Don’t know why people are suggesting Morrison should be cut? Not a superstar by any stretch of the imagination but he is a solid player and is still young. Would be absolutely bewildered if he was delisted.
He had some bad moments under pressure this season where his lack of physicality was exposed. Think that put a lot of people offside...

I agree though- he’s a smart, skilful player and still young so is worth keeping on the list for now...

I just have my doubts as to whether he has that x-factor to be a player for us long term- he seems to just coast along at times and play his role without imposing himself on the game...

Last edited:
The reason that people don’t like him is the very reason he’ll most likely be kept around.

“he’s just a safe role player”. That he is, and every list needs these types who can be relied on to do the basics while you draft and develop better types.

He's also a very smart player. Understands the game well and knows where to position himself.

Morrison may or may not stay but if we do cull a quarter of our list we could do worse than keeping a 22 year old utility depth player who knows the game plan

Because sexy unknowns is more appealing than safe knowns

Presuming list sizes drop to 32 plus 6 rookies, I think we definitely cut:

Glass, Nash, Brooksby, Minchington, Puopolo, Stratton.

Probably move out Henderson and possibly two of Howe/Frawley/Ross.
The number being floated around is 40. Have you heard different?

Presuming list sizes drop to 32 plus 6 rookies, I think we definitely cut:

Glass, Nash, Brooksby, Minchington, Puopolo, Stratton.

Probably move out Henderson and possibly two of Howe/Frawley/Ross.
I think 38-40 is a realistic number, unsure where they'll leave the categories of rookies. Suspect it may happen over 2 years, not one.

It’s a numbers thing. If list sizes go to 38-40, we cut 10-12 just to go to the draft. If we want to bring in more than just 3 draft picks (as you’d expect of a rebuilding side) or to pick up opposition delisted players it becomes 12+ and he’s in the gun.

I agree there are currently worse players on the list. But he’s not one I see much upside in. Like a lot of others, he is line ball.

Put another way: if we delisted him, in a year of record delistings, do we think another side would pick him up? I don’t

Clarko said in the post match presser that some exit meetings had already been had and that players and staff would start leaving the barossa in the next 2-3 days.

He then said some would be staying on in SA instead of heading to Melb, some to NSW and some to WA.

Can’t imagine we’re going to hear much leak out until the club make the announcements themselves for that reason as there’s no real media presence at our current Hub.

Clarko said in the post match presser that some exit meetings had already been had and that players and staff would start leaving the barossa in the next 2-3 days.

He then said some would be staying on in SA instead of heading to Melb, some to NSW and some to WA.

Can’t imagine we’re going to hear much leak out until the club make the announcements themselves for that reason as there’s no real media presence at our current Hub.
Prob won't hear most of them until the PCM on 30 September 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is alot of players to go without even getting to the tough calls as mentioned above. Here is a quick list feel free to add.

Retired
Stratts,Poppy x2
(Frawley,Hendo) will be a wait and see.

Delisted
Brooskby,Ross,Minchington,Glass,Nash,
Golds,Kosi. X7

Fringe
Hartley,Howe,Jones,Morrison,

There is alot of players to go without even getting to the tough calls as mentioned above. Here is a quick list feel free to add.

Retired
Stratts,Poppy x2

Delisted
Golds,Kosi. X7

Fringe
Can’t afford to cut players who are contracted for 2021. That means Hartley is a lock, unless they want to pay him out (which would be stupid)

What was people’s thoughts on Smith’s role on the weekend? Had the headset on and seemed to be part of the coaching team for the day. Strange set of circumstances if he was planning on leaving this off season. Still thing Izzy and Scully will be important players with longer quarters and our return to the wide expanses of the MCG next year. Thought Scully’s games in rounds 14 and 15 were easily best at the club. We need these 2 whilst we transition the likes of Downie and Day into these roles more permanently.

The number being floated around is 40. Have you heard different?
No, I’ve only heard “between 38 - 40”.

Makes sense to keep more rookies as they’re on lower base, only contracted for a year, but can play AFL without an elevation required.

Gives clubs more flexibility in what will no doubt be a year or two of significant cost cutting.

What was people’s thoughts on Smith’s role on the weekend? Had the headset on and seemed to be part of the coaching team for the day. Strange set of circumstances if he was planning on leaving this off season. Still thing Izzy and Scully will be important players with longer quarters and our return to the wide expanses of the MCG next year. Thought Scully’s games in rounds 14 and 15 were easily best at the club. We need these 2 whilst we transition the likes of Downie and Day into these roles more permanently.
Burgoyne has been retained because they need more playing coach types. The restrictions on runners mean we need several “generals” out there marshalling troops because the guy in the pink top can only run out there to give a message when a goal is kicked. I suspect Smith will be similar. Scully is no doubt an introvert, as is Frawley, so we aren’t replete with chatterboxes in our over 30 group.

Can’t afford to cut players who are contracted for 2021. That means Hartley is a lock, unless they want to pay him out (which would be stupid)

Fair point, i had him listed on the fringe for that reason. I think he will stay with Sicily injury. Depending on who we can acquire in the off season, strange he didn't play again.

3 draft picks ,+ 3 f.a = 6 players.
The list has to be cut back to 29 for a list size of 35. Then add 6 new players.

Could mean something, could mean nothing.

I'd like to think of it that he's staying.

Retired
Stratts,Poppy x2

Delisted
Golds,Kosi. X7

Fringe
Hanrahan, Jiath, Walker, Moore, Cousins in the fringe category too. I'd reckon the latter 2 are probably safe, the others who knows.

A few posters on here.
The question was asked why he wasn't getting a game after Sic injury, rested Frost & Day and played BB down back for the last month.
The replie was he doesn't look up to it and might be getting delisted.
I've heard conflicting things as well, both very positive, and some less so. But nothing concrete on the negative side of things

But he is a KPD, only just turned 20, so I would think the club will give him more time to get over the little body niggles.

I would be gobsmacked, and pretty pissed off, if he was cut.

I've heard conflicting things as well, both very positive, and some less so. But nothing concrete on the negative side of things

But he is a KPD, only just turned 20, so I would think the club will give him more time to get over the little body niggles.

I would be gobsmacked, and pretty pissed off, if he was cut.
Callum Twomey rated him as the best defender in his draft year, KP players need a minimum of 3 years.

Maybe he is interested in a post footy coaching role and we have said we will try to support and develop that. Would be nice if it helps keep him around on less coin or tenure thaN he could get elsewhere.

A few posters on here.
The question was asked why he wasn't getting a game after Sic injury, rested Frost & Day and played BB down back for the last month.
The replie was he doesn't look up to it and might be getting delisted.
From memory one of those posters opined that we’d be keeping Nash and Glass, but delisting Kosi.

It didn’t make sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back