List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see Morrison ever cutting it. Okay player but in his position we need more. He'll never take us to the next level and I'd rather see another season out of Ross and Walker who could do.
Why cut Morrison? He's never going to be a star but he doesn't have to be, he's shown significantly more than Ross and Walker

Why cut Morrison? He's never going to be a star but he doesn't have to be, he's shown significantly more than Ross and Walker
He’s also only 21. We’re still holding out for TOB to reach the stars and he’ll be 27 next year.

The club clearly see something in him, giving him the #1 jersey and persisting with him. I think he’s still got plenty of upside, but could go either way.

No point cutting Morrison unless we're making room for someone we want.

Especially in these times*, when agility & resilience are key, we're better off keeping a known quantity for 1 more year than being stuck with an unknown quantity for multiple years.

What are people hearing about Kosi next year? I mentioned earlier this year that some VFL watchers I'd spoken to thought he was miles off it, but I was shot down in flames by a number of posters. Wondering where that is at.
I think he’s safe.

No point cutting Morrison unless we're making room for someone we want.

Especially in these times*, when agility & resilience are key, we're better off keeping a known quantity for 1 more year than being stuck with an unknown quantity for multiple years.
Absolutely agree. He's an OK footballer nothing more but at least he has shown he can hold his own when called up to the firsts, can play a variety of roles and do what the coach tells him.

We need these depth players on low coin. I'd rather keep a Morrison as depth than a host of blokes who are seemingly always injured or need forever to develop. Smaller list sizes won't allow us that luxury any more. We need some flexible reserves who can at least be seen as ready and able if injuries to others force them to be called upon.

After the last 5 weeks I still believe Gunston & Breust are best off staying at the hawks next year. I don’t mind the idea of trading older players to get younger but in positions of depth. So I don’t mind us looking to trade Ceglar, Shiels or Scully as I believe we have youth coming through.

Yes we have deadweight but we got sone good youth coming through that need to be developed over the next 2 seasons Worpel, Lewis, Scrimshaw, Cousins, Maginess, Morris, Day, Scrimshaw, Greaves, Moore I believe will all be good players and with another 3 draftees this year. That group with Impey, Wingard, Sicily, JOM, Mitchell, Frost, Hardwick seems like a strong core group.

Ideally anyone over 29 should only stay if they provide great on field leadership and continue the strong culture we have. Therefore Gunston, Breust, Silk, Smith, Frawley & McEvoy should all be kept and phased out if the team over a 4 year period.I do believe if managed correctly we can play finals next year but only contend in 2023.

Can't see Morrison ever cutting it. Okay player but in his position we need more. He'll never take us to the next level and I'd rather see another season out of Ross and Walker who could do.

I really want Morrison to make it but I agree - he gets enough ball but his decision making is average. At best.

What are people hearing about Kosi next year? I mentioned earlier this year that some VFL watchers I'd spoken to thought he was miles off it, but I was shot down in flames by a number of posters. Wondering where that is at.

If you listen to most of our posters every player on our list is A grade. There is a certain lack of objectivity.

This, Brishawk, is what we call justification for being negative... whoops, I mean a "realist".

Everyone else overrates everyone on the team, but only they know exactly our problem and how to fix it.

This, Brishawk, is what we call justification for being negative... whoops, I mean a "realist".

Everyone else overrates everyone on the team, but only they know exactly our problem and how to fix it.
The best thing about them is, the I-told-you-so's are so much sweeter after a premiership than they are after a spoon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rioli was pick 12ish
Hill was pick 30ish

Downie would be around 20 in an uncompromised draft.

We threw Will Day in early in the season though many of you here thought he would take years to physically develop (actually from memory many of you here were outraged that we chose him rather than other more publicised players who were 'big bodied')

Sometimes you don't know until you try them out and sometimes they just go from the start

Who would have thought drafted players would generate alterative opinion and discussion and passion?

Last edited:
Given the 8 is set it would be nice if the AFL could let the clubs who are now in the off season know what the deal is for 2021 so they could start planning and stuff

Given the 8 is set it would be nice if the AFL could let the clubs who are now in the off season know what the deal is for 2021 so they could start planning and stuff
Good point.

Clarkos press conference was very interesting.

Journos asking about Breust and Gunston and without denying emphatically he rattled on about not giving rumours air time. Journos then pushed further saying “wrighty said they wouldn’t be traded” and Clarko still wouldn’t be pushed into anything.

A person within the bubble has mentioned to me the Breust chat is being heard.

Strange also he would mention Cogs being dropped .
They gather steam...every year.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really want Morrison to make it but I agree - he gets enough ball but his decision making is average. At best.
I'm still not sold either way on Morrison- he shows flashes where he delivers into 50 beautifully and looks super comfortable, but if the club see's him as a half back filler I'm not sure he has a future at the club. Would love him to make it though- seems like a great person off field and I think he's got the talent in him.

Club needs to be ruthless imo.
Morrison - delist
Nash - delist
Glass - delist
Howe - delist
Scully - delist (Pay out)
CJ - delist
Ross - delist (shame didn’t get a look in)
Jones - delist (really rate him but feel the club doesn’t)
Golds - delist (injury didn’t help but never going to make it)
Brooksby- delist (strange selection)
Minchington- delist

Moore survives just
Walker survives

Morrison - delist
Nash - delist
Glass - delist
Howe - delist
CJ - delist
Minchington- delist

Moore survives just
Walker survives

You do realise that including retirements, this would be 13 changes in one off season. I couldn't imagine a better way to absolutely gut club culture.

There's being ruthless and then there's being stupid. This would be stupid.

Morrison - delist
Nash - delist
Glass - delist
Howe - delist
CJ - delist
Minchington- delist

Moore survives just
Walker survives
Agree- we should be ruthless but also need to be realistic - we have to keep some depth and continuity on the list to be competitive next season.
A lot of it will depend on list sizes (how do we not know them yet??)

- C.J showed some great potential when in the side this season albeit a few forgettable moments that he will learn from- he should stay

- Jones looked like getting a good run in the senior side after dominating in the 2’s until injured- should get another chance

- Scully was poor but is contracted for another year and will stay given the changes this season did not suit his game. Henderson likely to retire so we’ll need another experienced winger.

- Golds is rehabbing from an ACL- hasn’t had a proper crack yet after showing promise early- will get another opportunity

- Morrison probably stays too - uses it well and is the type of player Clarko likes- although I don’t think he’ll make it long term..

The rest I’m on board with..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back