List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Have there been any talks of PP from the club itself and even anything from AFL? Surely we get them.
Discussions were had with the AFL 9-10 weeks ago. Back and forth discussions.

There were 2 conditions that were key to the answer.
1. Not with the same coach
2. Not if you win 5 games for the year

Now if someone, hopefully anyone at AFL house watched the first half of our game yesterday the club might get something. I think speculating about it however is unlikely and yes the club does have to formally apply, however most of the discussions are done before any formal application.

We need to apply publicly to keep the AFL honest when it considers Richmond's future application. Reference what North got and ask for something similar to what they had in 2022. AFL will say no, which is fine, but then it is on public record for when Richmond asks in a season or two. The last thing we want is them getting PP in a draft compromised by Tassie coming in.

We need to apply publicly to keep the AFL honest when it considers Richmond's future application. Reference what North got and ask for something similar to what they had in 2022. AFL will say no, which is fine, but then it is on public record for when Richmond asks in a season or two. The last thing we want is them getting PP in a draft compromised by Tassie coming in.
That's actually a good point. It will keep the AFL to a standard and will add a modicum of transparency to the process.

I presume the club is making respectful enquiries behind closed doors because doing it publicly won't help our case. The Victorian media would clearly be against such a handout and god knows they would have plenty of "club insiders" prepared to go on the record anonymously that we don't deserve any assistance and how strongly they are against it.

Doing it privately doesn't hurt our case but doing it publicly may very well do so. I just hope we are doing all we can to twist the AFL'S arm on the matter.

For anyone remaining unbiased it's clear we need the assistance and if it was necessary for the Kangaroos two years in a row........well then.

I presume the club is making respectful enquiries behind closed doors because doing it publicly won't help our case. The Victorian media would clearly be against such a handout and god knows they would have plenty of "club insiders" prepared to go on the record anonymously that we don't deserve any assistance and how strongly they are against it.

Doing it privately doesn't hurt our case but doing it publicly may very well do so. I just hope we are doing all we can to twist the AFL'S arm on the matter.

For anyone remaining unbiased it's clear we need the assistance and if it was necessary for the Kangaroos two years in a row........well then.
Doing it publicly might hurt our case, but it needs to be made public the reasons why we don't get it in that case, to make sure other clubs like Richmond don't get some next year after blowing up their list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 years in a row

3 years in a row

Technically no.

They received a package of a 2023 2nd round and 3rd round pick that needed to be on traded for players in the 2022 trade period and then received a package of an end of first round pick in the 2023 draft and two future end of first round picks for the 2024 draft that may or may not be rescinded if they didn’t trade them immediately.

The picks themselves were across only two drafts (2023 & 2024) from two overlapping assistance packages.

It becomes convoluted with the AFL expecting the Kangaroos to trade future picks for current players and future picks for current picks/players to ensure they’d receive them.

Just reading it back is making my head spin. 🤣

Last edited:
Even a token pick would be helpful... Like say a third rounder. Obviously more would be great but I can't see that happening.
No that would do more damage than good as we would be in the "needs assistance" category. The competition is already failure biased, we got Harley because we failed while he succeeded. Any more failure biased logic and AFL will give the cup to the wooden spooner.

No that would do more damage than good as we would be in the "needs assistance" category. The competition is already failure biased, we got Harley because we failed while he succeeded. Any more failure biased logic and AFL will give the cup to the wooden spooner.
So based on your logic, you think the premiers should get the top draft pick... ?

Technically no.

They received a package of a 2023 2nd round and 3rd round pick that needed to be on traded for players in the 2022 trade period and then received a package of an end of first round pick in the 2023 draft and two future end of first round picks for the 2024 draft that may or may not be rescinded if they didn’t trade them immediately.

The picks themselves were across only two drafts (2023 & 2024) from two overlapping assistance packages.

It becomes convoluted with the AFL expecting the Kangaroos to trade future picks for current players and future picks for current picks/players to ensure they’d receive them.

Just reading it back is making my head spin. 🤣
Either way they essentially got 4 end of first round picks and an end of 2nd, there's no argument to be made against us receiving at least some form of assistance
More damage than good to whom? Part of the reason we're in this position is the compounded consequences of such a compromised draft over the last however many years, the least the AFL could do is allow us to be on the receiving end for once, instead of their pet northern clubs and by extension the victorian clubs that use them as a feeder. If norf can get assistance after 9.5 wins in 3 seasons, including a shortened one, then why shouldn't we get some after 10 wins across 3 full seasons?

Doubt WCE will get one and I don't think they should ask.

Won a flag and have bottomed out.

Richmond the same, also shouldn't get one.

Norf is a crap club but I also don't agree with PP's for them either.

AFL assistance should come in the form of funding, increased soft caps + increased TPP caps IMO. To allow better coaching, support staff, and contracts to either attract trade/FA targets or retain players already at the club.

Similar to the Sydney COLA rort, I'd like to see the 18th club receive an additional 10% TPP and then the clubs in 15-17th receiving a tapered increase as well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Back