Should VB retain the captaincy for 2012???

Remove this Banner Ad

Caramelas13

Debutant
Aug 3, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
With a new coach in charge, I think a new captain should be elected. Thommo to captain the team and Danger as his vice. Time to get back to basics and have your best and most inspiring players leading the team and not some teachers pet in the form of VB..........

Absolutely, I think it has to be done, he simply isn't up to the job. He might struggle to be in the best 22 in the future and he hasn't even fronted the media much considering the difficulty facing the club and that is one of his skills. He is trying his best, but not up too standard.

Furthermore, a new coach should have the right to choose who he wants.

vB has been a poor example in terms of football performance and on-field leadership (though he has probably been excellent in other areas). I never wanted him as captain for this reason.

Unfortunately Danger hasn't staked his claim this season. Maybe more midfield time and consistently high level performance over the next 6 rounds could see him do it.

Would be between Thompson and Rutten. Either would be better than vB. Despite being FB, I'd rate Rutten the safer, mature choice but for bigger risk/reward for inspiration maybe Thompson?

Jacobs a bolter for leadership group next year. Not just cos he is winning taps, but he gives the impression he's a fierce competitor, vocal, good body language and presence out on the field.

I've never liked the idea of VB as captain for no other reason than I reckon he's skating on thin ice not to be suiting up for the Panthers. He has Richie Vandenberg written all over him.

You're captain shouldn't be discussed about at team meetings on who to drop, he lacks ant leadership on field with his actions. Goody, Roo, Bickley rarely made mistakes, let alone the howlers that VB makes. If I was a young player looking at that as an example i'd be worried.

In form he's best 22, but he's not talented enough to suffer swings and dips in form, that isnt the bloke you make captain. He wouldn't go a game without kicking into an oncoming opponent, drop a mark or inexplicably handball it to an opponent.

I hope he does. IMO sacking a first year captain after the circumstances he was placed in would do more damage than good.

Still, good luck to the new coach. If they want to completely rebuild the club, its systems and its culture then i'll support that.

I would like a change but fear it would do a fair bit of damage to VB. If a change was to occur. Rutten or Thommo for captain

The captain should be the first name on the team list every Thursday evening. I'm sure if VB wasn't captain this year, he would have been dropped after some of his mediocre performances.

Never rated him as a player and certainly never rated him as a captain. Average footballer at best sorry to say.

I would like a change but fear it would do a fair bit of damage to VB. If a change was to occur. Rutten or Thommo for captain

Im less worried about the damage to vB personally, than the potential to schism an already fractured playing group.

Ive also always believed that van Berlo is the best person for the job, and that his appointment was the right move for the long term interests of the club.

Still, ive had my say in numerous threads on this topic, so ill keep my involvement in this thread to a minimum.

The captain should be the first name on the team list every Thursday evening.

Was Bickley? In a side with Jarman, Roo, Mcleod, Rehn, Smart and others he wouldnt have been in the first 5.

I still rate him as a bloody good captain though, and i think I'm in the majority there. Your captain doesnt need to be the best player. They need to be:

1) Solidly in the best 22. (1-15 range).
2) Inspirational with what they do on the ground.
3) Set the standards around the club and on the track.

VB was appointed based on #3, and I agree that he's a long way off the mark with 1 and 2. A change is definitely needed, and i wouldnt be surprised to see him instigate it himself.

Im less worried about the damage to vB personally, than the potential to schism an already fractured playing group.

Ive also always believed that van Berlo is the best person for the job, and that his appointment was the right move for the long term interests of the club.

Still, ive had my say in numerous threads on this topic, so ill keep my involvement in this thread to a minimum.

I actually reckon Brad Moran would be a good captain :p:D

But seriously i am liking your approach to this STO, and your first point may have some validity (despite me obviously disagreeing with your second point).

If vB does stay on as captain, which I'm almost certain he will for at least one more year, i hope he can transform his football performance and become a respected player and captain.

Perhaps the compromise is to make an temporary exception given our circumstance and have co-captains. We keep vB and add the younger player most likely to one day assume the mantle in his own right (probably Dangerfield). Rather than fracturing the playing group, it would actually unite it and spread the load a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I watch the game (live in Brissy) I do keep an eye on VB. I have heard that he can be courageous, but I have only seen that afew times. When he is not under pressure his skills look OK but when under pressure I believe he panicks and as a result he misuses the ball. What I have never done is sat up in my chair and been impressed by his actions on the field. McDermott was fearless and inspirational, Bickley was also courageous, Roo managed to get me out of my seat at times and so did Goody. But VB has never inspired me so I dont believe that he inspires the team. I have no idea of what he is like off the field but VB should not be our captain. Unfortunately we lost most of our potential captains last year. It left us with only a few players that have the experience to lead the group. I am not convinced that Thompson or Rutten would be great leaders but with the limited number of contenders I would reluctantly select Thompson. He is always down in the pack trying to get the ball and he does lead by example. He also would be picked every week. Dangerfield would have been my first choice but he just hasn't lived up to expectations but he will oneday make a great leader.

Instead of going for the obvious in Thommo/Rutten, is NOW the time we give it to Danger?

Was all for Danger at the start of the year, but I think this year has shown how tough it can be if your own performances aren't consistently up to scratch. Dangerfield has yet to become a solid contributor week in week out. His time will come. Either stick with VB or Thommo or Truck gets it.

If the new coach comes in and makes VB our permanent negating midfielder, I think his captaincy may yet flourish.

I think that is the one position on the ground that he could really be elite at and have the biggest impact on the game. His lack of a rear vision miror makes playing at HB too dangerous and impractical.

I think once he finds his role as a player he will settle into his captaincy. At the moment he is unsure of both being played all over the ground.

VB should stay unless he elects to throw in the captaincy himself, it must come from him i reckon

we all know he might not be the best, but it wouldnt be from lack of trying

and to be captain this season @ the Crows would be a real bitch for any one of the players

I hope he does. IMO sacking a first year captain after the circumstances he was placed in would do more damage than good.

Still, good luck to the new coach. If they want to completely rebuild the club, its systems and its culture then i'll support that.

The change of culture would be the biggest influence you would think on leadership positions. That and the clean slates that have to be given to everyone.

I also think sloane is in front of danger for future cap at this point. Or should be. Davis a smokey.

IMO our biggest disappointment this season.

Lets see signs of development (and commitment to the club) before we even discuss promotion.

Agree fully - Danger has stalled, and it would not be fair to him or anyone else for him to be made captain.

In the leadership group, maybe. Captain, definitely not.

I'd be leaving van Berlo as captain for at least another season if it were me. He's still well and truly in our best 22, and in the face of a shake-up for the group there has to be some benefit in having some stability.

This season has been terrible for the Adelaide Football Club, the worst in our history. Probably pretty difficult circumstances for a first year captain. Thommo might get plenty of the ball and be a big stat contributor but this doesnt always translate to a Captaincy option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should VB retain the captaincy for 2012???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back