Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Who should coach the Adelaide Crows in 2025?

• Simon Goodwin - poach him from Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns - promote from within

• Brett Montgomery - bring him to coach, not to assist

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We're going around in circles re Buckley but I just want to state that I do not think Neil Craig was any good. Look at when I joined BF. That was me looking for an outlet because I was so pissed off with that goober.
I joined looking for an outlet the day he left Massie on Franklin :tearsofjoy:

Imagine still being here 17 years later complaining about the same things with the same amount (lack) of success.

Blight never tagged Harvey either. He didn’t believe his possessions and where he got them were damaging enough.
Ha, yes I remember Blight after a game where Harvey had a lot of touches , something along the lines of ‘he goes to parts of Footy Park I wouldn’t spend time in’.

I joined looking for an outlet the day he left Massie on Franklin :tearsofjoy:

Imagine still being here 17 years later complaining about the same things with the same amount (lack) of success.
Imagine a world without Bigfooty.

8f6.gif

As much as I would love to see the club give the job to Rahilly, I'm still convinced that Goodwin is going to be our next coach.

I honestly think that Roo's plan is to keep Nicks there long enough to blood the younger players and get the list ready and eventually will he arrange for his BFF Goody to come in and take over the reigns.
I just don't know about all this but it's a really interesting POV. I'd almost add Burgess into that conversation possibly.

Interesting!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blight never tagged Harvey either. He didn’t believe his possessions and where he got them were damaging enough.
He ran Kane Johnson with him in the 97 grand final.

Harvey still got plenty of the ball but under pressure. Ended the game with fractured ribs I believe

He got 36 disposals in 97.
The 1997 Grand Final against St Kilda was only Johnson’s 25th career game. And on the biggest stage, the masterful Blight once again entrusted his young charge with a big responsibility …

“That year I played a little bit in the midfield, but mainly at half-back on dangerous forwards. In the finals, I spent some more time in the midfield doing a couple of run-with roles.

“On the Monday night at training in Grand Final week, Blighty came and tapped me on the shoulder when I was having a bit of a kick-to-kick. He said, ‘I’m thinking about playing you on Robert Harvey’.

“Harvey had just won the Brownlow! I was a little bit surprised purely because I didn’t know if I could keep up with him – he was that good a runner and I’d never played a full game in the midfield at AFL level. There were no real rotations in those days. There was a bench, but you only went there if you were injured or weren’t getting a kick!

“I lost a lot of sleep that week. But I think because I was still quite young, I felt like I had nothing to lose. I knew Harvey was still going to get possessions because no one had stopped him getting possessions all year! It was just about trying to nullify his possessions and, hopefully, get a little bit of ball the other way.”

Harvey still had 36, but Johnson walked away from the MCG that day with a premiership medal.

The 1997 Grand Final against St Kilda was only Johnson’s 25th career game. And on the biggest stage, the masterful Blight once again entrusted his young charge with a big responsibility …

“That year I played a little bit in the midfield, but mainly at half-back on dangerous forwards. In the finals, I spent some more time in the midfield doing a couple of run-with roles.

“On the Monday night at training in Grand Final week, Blighty came and tapped me on the shoulder when I was having a bit of a kick-to-kick. He said, ‘I’m thinking about playing you on Robert Harvey’.

“Harvey had just won the Brownlow! I was a little bit surprised purely because I didn’t know if I could keep up with him – he was that good a runner and I’d never played a full game in the midfield at AFL level. There were no real rotations in those days. There was a bench, but you only went there if you were injured or weren’t getting a kick!

“I lost a lot of sleep that week. But I think because I was still quite young, I felt like I had nothing to lose. I knew Harvey was still going to get possessions because no one had stopped him getting possessions all year! It was just about trying to nullify his possessions and, hopefully, get a little bit of ball the other way.”

Harvey still had 36, but Johnson walked away from the MCG that day with a premiership medal.
Bloody Blight, man was a true coach. These days it’s all so robotic

Be good to keep an eye on how Schofield operates for the rest of the season. Fits the profile for coaching success; played in the great Eagles side of the 90s under Malthouse then won a flag at Port under Williams. Coached his own side with outrageous success (triple premiership), now has 6 years as an AFL assistant under his belt.

What's the bet West Coast now gets the next great up-and-coming coach because they've moved now, we sack Nicks at the end of next year and get some other leftover dud because all the good ones are taken?
It's a fair point. Agree.

So how would it work if we moved now as well? Would an ambitious coach choose us or West Coast?

Bloody Blight, man was a true coach. These days it’s all so robotic
I think a lot of it is taken away due to line coaches, back then it was the coach and the assistant pretty much wasn’t it?
The less people the more influence by one person, so you could really see how good someone was or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Back