Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Who should coach the Adelaide Crows in 2025?

• Simon Goodwin - poach him from Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns - promote from within

• Brett Montgomery - bring him to coach, not to assist

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

From all reports we don't pay well when it comes to our assistant coaching department. Add in COVID cuts then necessitating pay cuts again it's probably not a surprise we couldn't get anyone decent and guys like Mattner decided to go back to the SANFL where he can run his own ship.

I highly doubt that we pay the full soft cap. Pre depreciation of $800k, we made $1.9m in 2023. That's not a large number for a club looking to borrow a crap load of $ for a major development. There's no doubt that we'd be cutting expenses where we believe it won't impact revenues. Shaving a few hundred gorilla$ off footy department spend and paying the 95% minimum TPP would send a nice chunk to the bottom line to show a lender.

You can say "of course" but the club muddied the waters and tried to make it look like it was Pyke's choice to leave. We then assembled a SANFL quality coaching group and I guess that was the club winking at us.
Pretty sure it was stated that we had just re-signed Campo in the months leading into the review. He would have had a pretty hefty payout too. Ditto Burton.

You have to consider his overall record which is nearly 10 years of no success at one of the richest clubs in the land. Then do some mental gymnastics to try and convince yourself he will be better at reject shop Adelaide.
That's fine, but no flag isn't a clincher for me. Voss tracking well on attempt 2

Collingwood decided on the dumbest ever coaching handover plan and torpedoed what they'd built because Eddie couldn't cope with his boy coaching somewhere else

Maybe Buckley was stupid to agree to it too

And Craig was a non coked up Cousins from a GF ( on a day his ruckman did his ACL early as well from memory)

Loss is a loss - the Crows were one goal umpire decision away from playing our Bunnies Carlton in a final

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Cmon that’s unproven, their midfield regularly got on top of ours.

And Craig was a rampant Harvey from playing a home prelim because he didn’t ****ing tag him.

We're going around in circles re Buckley but I just want to state that I do not think Neil Craig was any good. Look at when I joined BF. That was me looking for an outlet because I was so pissed off with that goober.

Won't happen, but I would throw the kitchen sink at Luke Hodge.

I would ignore his coaching experience and back his playing career to give him credibility.

Understands the modern game.
Premiership winning player and coach
Played at a successful club
Understand the difficulties of a non Victorian club
Been through a rebuild
Very strong personality who won't follow the past coaches and implement his own culture.
When has that worked before?

You can say "of course" but the club muddied the waters and tried to make it look like it was Pyke's choice to leave. We then assembled a SANFL quality coaching group and I guess that was the club winking at us.

Nobody leaves without extracting the absolute maximum from their contract. Bryce Gibbs did not forego a single dollar to either play his farewell game against his beloved Baggers or to spend the last year on our list playing at South. Supporters thinking that any of our players/coaches have every left a single dollar on the table is laughable.

Nobody leaves without extracting the absolute maximum from their contract. Bryce Gibbs did not forego a single dollar to either play his farewell game against his beloved Baggers or to spend the last year on our list playing at South. Supporters thinking that any of our players/coaches have every left a single dollar on the table is laughable.
It was just people coping. Same as that shit about Pyke not needing money because he was rich from his investments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The answer you’re looking for is never. Everyone stopped doing that because it never worked.

So getting 1 to 2 years as an assistant coach, moving cones and witches hats makes someone a good coach?

Or, the 17 years in the system as a player. Getting those experiences and knowledge. They already have plenty of experience.

So getting 1 to 2 years as an assistant coach, moving cones and witches hats makes someone a good coach?

Or, the 17 years in the system as a player. Getting those experiences and knowledge. They already have plenty of experience.
Yes yes, that’s all they do. Given your vast knowledge of the inside workings of AFL clubs, maybe we should discard everything that has been proven for decades and give a complete newbie a shot. What’s another few years wasted?

Yes yes, that’s all they do. Given your vast knowledge of the inside workings of AFL clubs, maybe we should discard everything that has been proven for decades and give a complete newbie a shot. What’s another few years wasted?
Sorry for wasting your time Mr Kelly.

Hope your football department can improve.

Sorry for wasting your time Mr Kelly.

Hope your football department can improve.
I'm not obsessed with getting someone with prior senior coaching experience but wasn't Hodge a development coach at Brisbane? People don't typically move to senior coaching roles from there. I can't think of any examples of this off the top of my head.

Also consider if Hodge had a development role and quit that to do a media gig, is that someone with a burning desire to become a senior coach? Maybe he got a taste of coaching and didn't really like it.

I'm not obsessed with getting someone with prior senior coaching experience but wasn't Hodge a development coach at Brisbane? People don't typically move to senior coaching roles from there. I can't think of any examples of this off the top of my head.

Also consider if Hodge had a development role and quit that to do a media gig, is that someone with a burning desire to become a senior coach? Maybe he got a taste of coaching and didn't really like it.

I'm a strong believer in, you have it or you don't and if someone has it, they should not waste their time as someone assistant.

Based on his playing, I would happily take the risk to back someone like Luke Hodge in. He ticks every box except coaching experience

Anyway, the odds on the club approaching him would be low. The odds would be even lower for him to leave the media and move his family to Adelaide.

The last premiership winning coach who wasn't a first time coach or hadn't won a flag coaching elsewhere first was Malcolm Blight. Almost 30 years. Playing the odds this makes Simpson or a first timer the best choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Back