Should we take a stand against soccer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Purists wont like it but Soccer will struggle to break into markets they don't already dominate without that rule evolving. Soccer compared to other national sports is pretty boring.

When cricket and baseball are more exciting to watch then the sport has issues. I'd rather watch an IPL game than a non-world cup soccer game and I find cricket boring.
tbh I don't think FIFA is all that worried about the 3 or 4 countries where soccer isn't big. Nepal, Australia, NZ aren't going to send them broke.

i dont think its a bad thread, but there isnt anything we can do about it, fact is soccer is shown on FTA television much more in Australia than AFL, maybe not in prime time but overall throughout the year, its bloody allways on SBS, all year round, ill start to worry if a channel 9 or 10 start showing A league games against footy in prime time, its a fair way off though.
Soccer is on SBS?:D

It's not on that much. Few Champions league games - at 4AM - don't think they've got any regular leagues though.

OneHD have a fair bit. Bundesliga, Serie A. Should Ten take a stand against soccer? ;)
on a whole though throughout the year its shown on SBS more than the AFLs shown on every channal combined, weekends on SBS you get about 4 hrs minimum.

It's not on that much. Few Champions league games - at 4AM - don't think they've got any regular leagues though.

OneHD have a fair bit. Bundesliga, Serie A. Should Ten take a stand against soccer? ;)

What the hell are you on about Collingwill?
A couple of overseas replays on SBS does not equate to "more than AFL"

I can't believe how many of these soccer thread are infesting our boards.

Why aren't they getting moved to the soccer forum?
Same goes for the Rugby or League gibberish.
Once the initial "puff peice" relevant to the "uproar" is finished in the paper then the thread should go to the forum of those who give a rats.

on a whole though throughout the year its shown on SBS more than the AFLs shown on every channal combined, weekends on SBS you get about 4 hrs minimum.
TWG have SUnday afternoon from about 1pm to 6pm. Basically a panel show, with highlights, and a match of the week.
AFL would have at least 4 games televised on FTA (Fri night, Sat, Sat night, Sunday). 4 x 3hr broadcasts, plus add all the replays & various footy shows.

Once the initial "puff peice" relevant to the "uproar" is finished in the paper then the thread should go to the forum of those who give a rats.
theres a soccer show on SBS that goes for a few hrs isnt there, every week, then theres the early morning replays that are on quite often as well, i didnt say in prime time either, i just said as a whole its on free to air TV more than AFL its also on onehd, what are you on about ? am i wrong ?

1HD has the Bundes Liga and Serie A games on there so it could be possible they get A-League rights sometime in the near distant future.

Soccer Australia or whatever they are called would have to pay a free to air network to get the A League on there.
There would be no such thing as "rights" for such a poorly supported competition.
The pay tv ratings for the A League are almost non-existent.

Well, you can't move this thread to the soccer forum.

Have you ever been to an A-League game? It's one of the most boring things I've ever done. 95% of the time is spent passing the ball around. 5% of the time is spent actually having a shot, and 5% of shots actually end up in the back of the net. Out of 90 minutes, there's maybe 5 minutes where anticipation of a score sees you about to launch out of your seat, and maybe 30 seconds of celebration when someone actually scores.
When AFL games start to resemble soccer (teams passing the ball around in the back half to avoid a contest), the crowd gets very restless and on occassions start to boo. That in itself should tell you that soccer is absolutely no threat whatsoever to our great game. The only reason it's so popular in so many parts of the world is because in those parts of the world people haven't had the pleasure of witnessing a real contest where skills are on display constantly throughout a game of AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quality of A-League does not represent soccer. If you're going to use the A-League as the bench mark, then you'd have to use the EDFL for Aussie Rules.

Watch some EPL or La Liga and you'll see the game played at a faster tempo, and far superior skill.

Do you boo for own team for not bombing the ball long and having it come back the other way with interest? There's a thing called tactics. If you have the ball, you control the game.

Well, you can't move this thread to the soccer forum.

Isn't this whole forum part on "Big Soccer"?
If you can't move them delete them when they have run their course.

Even better post them on Big Soccer.

Isn't this whole forum part on "Big Soccer"?
If you can't move them delete them when they have run their course.

Even better post them on Big Soccer.
I meant you can't move a thread or create a thread with "Should we take a stand AGAINST soccer?" in the soccer forum. ;)

The OP would be commiting suicide.

I meant you can't move a thread or create a thread with "Should we take a stand AGAINST soccer?" in the soccer forum. ;)

The OP would be commiting suicide.

Probably true but it is now full of soccer types defending their game and no longer a discussion between AFL supporters.
Just like all these code v code threads a load of tripe.

theres a soccer show on SBS that goes for a few hrs isnt there, every week, then theres the early morning replays that are on quite often as well, i didnt say in prime time either, i just said as a whole its on free to air TV more than AFL its also on onehd, what are you on about ? am i wrong ?

I object to my taxpayer dollars going to SBS so they can show wall-to-wall effing soccer. 100% of Australians subsidising their narrow broadcasting ofwhat is a minority sport in this country. There's millions of sports out in the world - how about they spend our money covering them as well.

The only reason it's so popular in so many parts of the world is because in those parts of the world people haven't had the pleasure of witnessing a real contest where skills are on display constantly throughout a game of AFL.

What a load of crap.

There have been plenty of exhibition games and coverage in many parts of the world yet people don't start supporting it in droves.

Soccer is ingrained in other countries culture much like the AFL is here. Neither code will ever be able to topple the other.

Probably true but it is now full of soccer types defending their game and no longer a discussion between AFL supporters.
Just like all these code v code threads a load of tripe.

Everyone here is an AFL supporter. But some also have an interest in soccer.

I love my footy and take an interest in soccer, albeit not a fanatical one. However, the one-eyed views sprouted here by clearly biased AFL fans deserve to be challenged.

I object to my taxpayer dollars going to SBS so they can show wall-to-wall effing soccer. 100% of Australians subsidising their narrow broadcasting ofwhat is a minority sport in this country. There's millions of sports out in the world - how about they spend our money covering them as well.

Because they can't.

They might as well cover the sport that the majority of SBS viewers would be interested in.

i agree man, i hate soccer, the most boring game in the world.

Everyone here is an AFL supporter. But some also have an interest in soccer.

I love my footy and take an interest in soccer, albeit not a fanatical one. However, the one-eyed views sprouted here by clearly biased AFL fans deserve to be challenged.

Well I hope they would all be clearly biased AFL fans as it's an AFL forum.
I don't think all on here are AFL supporters.

While I have no interest in Soccer I have no problem with those who are being able to watch it.
I do have an interest in my chosen sport not being effected by soccer coverage or the World Cup circus.

I dont think Australian Football "OUR" game should be too scared of the imported pommie game.

Simply Aussie Rules is the best,most spectacular and exciting of all the football codes and as new migrants and their kids are exposed to it they soon realise what a crock of shit soccer is!

Israel loving Lowey is just using his and our money to live out his migrant fantasy.Have a look how well (NOT)the supposed ALeague is going this year and soocer has a long long way to go to threaten Australian Football!

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we take a stand against soccer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back